Mission Speed Question (No Khyberbill Please)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Icedawg

Mission Speed Question (No Khyberbill Please)

Post by Icedawg »

I've tried a few times now to get a bombardment TF to arrive at the target at night and then head away and out of air range by morning - and it hasn't worked.

I've been setting the TF to "mission speed" and "retirement allowed" thinking that was the magic formula, but the TF either lingers at the target (as though set to "remain on station"), or only moves a couple hexes away. At times, the TF doesn't even make it to the base before the day phase.

For an example, some turns ago I had a TF of a couple Kongos and a handful of DDs. They started the turn almost fully fueled, no ops points expended, nine hexes away from the target, mission speed, retirement allowed, no enemy encountered. I thought the TF was supposed to be able to get to the target, bombard and get nine hexes away from the target. Didn't happen.

I've tried other bombardments before and they never seem to be able to "shoot and scoot" (I know that's a tank thing, but it works here.). Currently, if I want to bombard, I have to have air superiority and start within 4 hexes. Currently though, I really need to be able to get in and out, so I could use some advice right about now.

Do I need to set the TF to "full speed" to get the desired result?
EHansen

RE: Mission Speed Question (No Khyberbill Please)

Post by EHansen »

I have been using full speed. I move in mission mode until I am within the full speed range and then switch to full speed and change the target to the destination hex. This has been working for me so far.
I think somewhere that the auto switch to full speed for bombardment missions got broken.
spence

Post by spence »

To be honest I have no clue but I kind of wonder if the historical success of "The Bombardment" (12 October 1942) was due to the Marine SBDs being SBD-2s/SBD-1s rather than SBD-3s. One hex of range can make a difference to say nothing of 3 hexes. It wasn't until I played this game that I found out there were SBDs and then there were SBDs. I noticed that the USMC tends to mostly start with the older models. The November bombardment by CAs didn't come away unscathed - suffered several consecutive attacks by Henderson Field planes the morning after their attack. Maybe the sure thing of vanilla WitP is not such a sure thing.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

I had the same problem a few days ago and raised the very same questions. My problem also dealt with using waypoints in order to get into the target which caused some issues.

With the help of some advice and a lot of experimenting, the best thing to do is not to use waypoints on a mission that you hope to dash in then back out. Use Full speed too. The way it was explained to me was that by using full speed, the system will use full speed thru every hex going in and out providing you have fuel. If you use Mission speed, the system may use cruise speed on 1 or more of the hexes causing the TF to end up at the target area come daylight.

If you look at the upper left part of TF display, next to "Moves" you will see the (m/c) if you are set at mission speed usually with a 7/4 or 8/4 afterwards. That means that the TF will move 7 (or 8) hexes in mission speed or 4 in cruise, but it may, depending on the situation choose to use cruise in a couple hexes.

By selecting fullspeed you will see a 7/7 or 8/8 or whatever depending on the speed of the TF. If you need to travel 8 hexes and you show 7/4 or even 7/7...you may or may not make it there since you are at the extreme edge of your range. I believe distances traveled are measured straightline and not from hex center to hex center, so your ships may actually travel 8 or even 9 hexes depending on the course it takes.
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

I have used mission speed successfully, but you have to make sure your target is within range of 1 movement phase, if not, you will be hanging around waiting for enemy aircraft. PLus, if the bombardment TF has to clear any enemy TFs out of the way first that will eat into op points and slow you down as well.

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

the best thing to do is not to use waypoints on a mission
Correct. This has been discussed at length. SML is the expert [;)] ... check in his first AAR ... [:D]
Pax
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

May we assume you are bombarding an enemy-held hex rather than just enemy troops at a hex you own? The reason I ask is that the "dash-in" rules don't apply if your destination is a friendly hex.

If that were the case you would need to use Full speed to ensure hasty in-and-out .
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, for some reason if you are using mission speed and bombarding enemy at your own base your force will stay. Otherwise I always use mission speed. Mission speed for a bombardment TF, fast transprot or surface fighting TF is designed to move full speed in and out of the target hex. (That is the mission after all.) Make sure you have a clear path and have not expended an Op points. However, if you engage a lot enemy forces on the way in or out you can expect to burn up extra OP points and get caught in a bad position the follow day. From what I see setting full speed does not make any difference. Reactions and the presence of threats to your rear have an effect too. I've got a lot of turns under my belt and mission speed works as designed.

Regardless, sometimes they just do not work they way you want and in my opinion that is one of the finest aspects of this game. If your TFs did what you wanted every time the game would quickly grow tedious and boring.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”