Quick questions

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

JamesLxx

Quick questions

Post by JamesLxx »

When I set orders delay level in scenario options does the AI have the same level of orders delay as you have chosen?
Arjuna

RE: Quick question

Post by Arjuna »

Yes.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
JamesLxx

Post by JamesLxx »

A quick answer to a quick question! - thanks Arjuna
JamesLxx

Post by JamesLxx »

There was an illustration in one of Daz's recent posts in which the units had 3 info box's displayed. Is this an existing feature I haven't yet found how to work or is it something daz did? It would be very useful to see multiple info boxes as I'm forever pressing F keys in game!

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (16.75 KiB) Viewed 471 times
wodin

Post by wodin »

Daz and photoshop:)
springel

Post by springel »

I assume this thread is still open for quick questions?

When I see a message (like the dreaded 'Attack has Stalled'), I want to go to the origin of the message.
I know that I can go to the Log tab and click on the message, but depending on my selection state, that log tab is not always available.

Best thing would be that click on the message in the top display would also go to the source, but next best thing would be a hot-key that goes to the message log (like there is a hot-key 'O' to go to the OOB tab). Maybe there is such a hot-key, but I haven't been able to find it.

So what is the quickest way to go to the source of the message?
springel

Post by springel »

Another quick question:

I remember I read that Dave added a feature that shows the routes of the supply convoys in the patch.
But although I searched a lot, I can't find that announcement back on the forum.
So how do I see those supply convoys?
springel

Post by springel »

And another quick question:

Today I started the tutorial scenario (have to do something while I wait for the final patch that repairs the HTTR and Greek scenarios [;)]

I had already read that the scenario has become much more difficult after the patch, and I experienced that today: it took all day to cross that first bridge.
And those anti aircraft guns that should go to the top of the hill to prevent reinforcements going to the bridge: in the instruction video long ago I already wondered how wise it is to stand on the top of a hill to shoot at a company of StugIII's, like they cannot return deadly fire. Well now they do, and my unit was destroyed in a couple of hours, while its accompanying Shermans had suffered a lot of damage.

So I wondered, is this related to the fix of a bug that Daz called the 'Germans can't shoot' bug, and that now suddenly their guns can shoot?

Because the fighting is very, very different from the original version.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: springel

I assume this thread is still open for quick questions?

When I see a message (like the dreaded 'Attack has Stalled'), I want to go to the origin of the message.
I know that I can go to the Log tab and click on the message, but depending on my selection state, that log tab is not always available.

Best thing would be that click on the message in the top display would also go to the source, but next best thing would be a hot-key that goes to the message log (like there is a hot-key 'O' to go to the OOB tab). Maybe there is such a hot-key, but I haven't been able to find it.

So what is the quickest way to go to the source of the message?

Use the pg dn and pg up keys to put the > symbol next to the message of concern. Hit <HOME> and it will take you to the unit that sent the message. (I think that's how it works - I do it all the time but it's so automatic now that I'm not exactly sure that's the sequence of events necessary).
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

Another quick question:

I remember I read that Dave added a feature that shows the routes of the supply convoys in the patch.
But although I searched a lot, I can't find that announcement back on the forum.
So how do I see those supply convoys?

Below the map on the toolbar tabs the fifth from the left side is labeled "display lines."

Click on the tab until it shows "sup".

It will show a colored link link between the supplying unit and unit supplied (depending on which is selected from the display) and during resupply pulses (generally 0600 and 1800) it will show supply routes to selected units.

Red designates lines which are cut, and green those which are open.

Take care,

jim
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

It's very easy to 'fix' the HTTR and Greek scenarios yourself, Springel, if you're keen to play them - since they're not actually broken. I'm happily playing through From the Meuse to the Rhine now, for example. You know all you have to do is open the relevant map for any scenario you wish to play in Map Maker then resave it there (selecting the same name from the drop down and agreeing to overwrite it). It will then do whatever it needs to do and it may take a while (about 4 minutes for the biggest map (but it will take you a lot longer than 4 minutes to play the tutorial, which you could, in any case, play whilst waiting for the 4 minutes to elapse...)), and once that's done that map will open as normal in the game. If you're unsure of the map name for any particular scenario then open the scenario in Scenmaker and the map name is shown in a box at bottom left in the first screen you get. I think some version of this process is all Dave is going to do when he 'fixes' all the HTTR and Greek maps eventually....
springel

Post by springel »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

It's very easy to 'fix' the HTTR and Greek scenarios yourself, Springel, if you're keen to play them - since they're not actually broken. I'm happily playing through From the Meuse to the Rhine now, for example. You know all you have to do is open the relevant map for any scenario you wish to play in Map Maker then resave it there (selecting the same name from the drop down and agreeing to overwrite it). It will then do whatever it needs to do and it may take a while (about 4 minutes for the biggest map (but it will take you a lot longer than 4 minutes to play the tutorial, which you could, in any case, play whilst waiting for the 4 minutes to elapse...)), and once that's done that map will open as normal in the game. If you're unsure of the map name for any particular scenario then open the scenario in Scenmaker and the map name is shown in a box at bottom left in the first screen you get. I think some version of this process is all Dave is going to do when he 'fixes' all the HTTR and Greek maps eventually....

I tried this, both using the Scenario editor, and using the main program itself, but it leads to a total crash (with the option of sending the crash report to Microsoft). This has also been reported by other users. I don't know why it happens to us, but maybe XP has something to do with it.

Anyway, next weekend I will upgrade to Windows 7 and I will have to reinstall everything, and I hope the production patch will be out by then.

(Or I will be occupied by Red Thunder for a while [;)])

Edit: maybe I have to use the map-maker instead of the Scenario maker, as was mentioned somewhere. I am going to try this now.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

I tried this, both using the Scenario editor, and using the main program itself, but it leads to a total crash (with the option of sending the crash report to Microsoft). This has also been reported by other users. I don't know why it happens to us, but maybe XP has something to do with it.

Anyway, next weekend I will upgrade to Windows 7 and I will have to reinstall everything, and I hope the production patch will be out by then.

(Or I will be occupied by Red Thunder for a while [;)])

That is my experience also. Updating using the scenario and map editors just crashes the game for me.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
springel

Post by springel »

Well, converting the small map of Joe's bridge with the map maker just succeeded in a short time.

So far, so good.

It is working now on Break Out from Joe's Bridge, a favourite of mine that I played maybe a dozen times in the original HTTR.

And... it loads, took only a few minutes in the map maker.

Great, I am back in business [:)]
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Well, converting the small map of Joe's bridge with the map maker just succeeded in a short time.

So far, so good.

It is working now on Break Out from Joe's Bridge, a favourite of mine that I played maybe a dozen times in the original HTTR.

And... it loads, took only a few minutes in the map maker.

Great, I am back in business [:)]

I was about to point you towards MapMaker, but I see you sorted yourself out already :)
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Sorry, hadn't realised it was crashing, Springel. Hope you can get it working. Try converting the map 'Maas-Rijn' - that's the biggest in HTTR - if Mapmaker will do that ok (Takes roughly 4 minutes) then I would think all the others will be easy.

Peter
springel

Post by springel »

Maas-Rijn took a little over 5 minutes on my rather old computer.

Conversion works fine now. I am currently converting all maps while I am working [:D]
springel

Post by springel »

Another quick question. About motorized infantry.

They cannot move through woods (without using a road), but I saw that in assaults some companies do move some distance through the woods. So in a battalion attack the individual companies can do things that I can't command them to do individually?

I noticed this in 'Breakout from Joe's Bridge' when I wanted to order individual British motorized infantry companies to mop up German units in the woods besides the road. But when I ordered a whole battalion to defend a place, the individual companies would spread out into the wood (a bit).

Somehow it is not entirely satisfactory this way motorized infantry behaves, but I think this is a known weakness that is hard to improve without complications like splitting off the transport elements?
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Proper mount and dismount code is on the list for CO2, Springel, though I'm not sure if it's high on the list, as I believe it's a very time intensive set of changes. You're right, it doesn't happen now. I too have noticed that motorised units can, however, end up with a footprint that spreads quite far into woodland (though, as you say, if you try to place the unit there you will get a message relocating it).

springel

Post by springel »

Another quick question

I want to set up a regimental defence line, but when I give the regimental headquarters a defence order in line formation, its maximum width is much smaller (900m) than that either of the constituting battalions (2000m).

Shouldn't I be able to order a regimental defence line of at least 4000m (actually I need 3000m)?

Return to “Command Ops Series”