Patch 1.5 ETA ?

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

Wolfe1759

Patch 1.5 ETA ?

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Patch 1.4.2 has added quite a bit to the game BUT also has new stuff that isn't really working yet as intended, Small Garrisons and the slow AI turn times seem to be the main ones.

So I've sort of stopped playing whilst waiting for the next patch. Thus the question in regard to ETA on 1.5

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Lord Zimoa

RE: Patch 1.5 ETA ?

Post by Lord Zimoa »

It is still a few weeks off I`me afraid, especially re-writing the AI and integrating this into the hardcoded base game is the last pesky task to finish. But without no iPad release... so we are on full throttle. I tty and keep you updated as best as I can.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Thanks for the reply, a few weeks is not so long to wait, appreciate the continuing effort on supporting the game.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Tomokatu

Post by Tomokatu »

Hear hear - willing to wait for a Patch in Progress. haven't stopped playing but I DID edit the small garrisons to have no movement - a massive improvement.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction
operating

Post by operating »

Many thanks for feedback!

Small garrisons,I'm looking to remove their ability to transport by sea,also to get the AI to use them as intended,as defensive units behind your front lines for City defense.I have also changed the fact that they cost nothing to repair and upkeep,this is for patch 1.50 !

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 3/23/2014 9:14:45 PM >
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's to become of half supplied (Or full supplied) SGs that cannot transport in 1.50? Will they be eliminated from islands and such from OOB? Trying now to simulate play in MP to anticipate change to SG in 1.50.

Attachments
ctgw_1396192966.jpg
ctgw_1396192966.jpg (339.96 KiB) Viewed 376 times
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

What would be ideal would be to 'flag' certain SGs so for some cost in PP they could be upgraded to Garrisions (like for Malta, etc.). Versus disbanding them to make room for a better unit.
&nbsp;
Or if that is too hard. Just make certain SGs regular Garrisions and deduct the addition cost from the initial starting pools of PP/manpower. While not historical, it would simplify coding, gameplay, etc.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

What would be ideal would be to 'flag' certain SGs so for some cost in PP they could be upgraded to Garrisions (like for Malta, etc.). Versus disbanding them to make room for a better unit.

Or if that is too hard. Just make certain SGs regular Garrisions and deduct the addition cost from the initial starting pools of PP/manpower. While not historical, it would simplify coding, gameplay, etc.

Numdydar, that's very interesting proposal![:)]
operating

Post by operating »

The more I think about it the more I like it[:)]. I'd like to hear from the tech guys about this, for it could lead to all kinds of potential, perhaps garrisons upgrading to Infantry, let's say: when a garrison reaches a level IV (highest attainable), would be considered trained and experienced enough to be a candidate to step up to be infantry. Just adjust MP and upkeep automatically upon conversion.
amtrick

Post by amtrick »

Not sure I like the idea of SG's going to regular Infantry. The concept of the SG was local defense forces .... old men and boys. No matter what tech upgrades you gave these folks, they never would come up to the level of regular Infantry. Plus the whole idea was to make them so all they can do is stay home and protect their city. Making them regular Infantry means they can move off for the front again, leaving the city undefended. Better to have the isolated garrisons be Garrison units , which is more like what they really were in Gibraltar, etc.
RickD
amtrick

Post by amtrick »

Since we are talking about 1.5, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions. I finished a scenario as the Entente last week. I won in the summer of 1916, but only after I had practically annihilated both the Germans and AH. It seems like a nation down to its last city and a couple of garrisons would have surrendered sooner, especially in the early 20th century and given the actual internal politics of those two countries. So maybe loosen up the surrender requirements a bit. Have to say that after everybody else gave up, the Turks called it quits pretty quickly.

Secondly, how about adding a 1914 Eastern Front scenario? In this one the Germans would have decided to not invade Belgium at the start of the war, hold back the French in Alsace/Lorraine and concentrate on knocking Russia out of the war before turning west. So when Germany enters the war, the OB shows a preponderance of force on the Russian Front and Belgium neutral. Might still have to wait for Russia to enter the war as it did historically, or allow Germany/AH to declare war with some political penalty.

And finally, how about giving us a peek at how the other side is doing? I’m particularly thinking of the opposition National Morale. Knowing that somebody is teetering on the edge might make you change your strategy during the game. If you think giving the actual value would be too generous, maybe display a range it falls into, for example 0-20, 21-40, etc.

Just a couple of thoughts. Would be interested in others' views.
RickD
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: amtrick

Since we are talking about 1.5, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions. I finished a scenario as the Entente last week. I won in the summer of 1916, but only after I had practically annihilated both the Germans and AH. It seems like a nation down to its last city and a couple of garrisons would have surrendered sooner, especially in the early 20th century and given the actual internal politics of those two countries. So maybe loosen up the surrender requirements a bit. Have to say that after everybody else gave up, the Turks called it quits pretty quickly.

Secondly, how about adding a 1914 Eastern Front scenario? In this one the Germans would have decided to not invade Belgium at the start of the war, hold back the French in Alsace/Lorraine and concentrate on knocking Russia out of the war before turning west. So when Germany enters the war, the OB shows a preponderance of force on the Russian Front and Belgium neutral. Might still have to wait for Russia to enter the war as it did historically, or allow Germany/AH to declare war with some political penalty.

And finally, how about giving us a peek at how the other side is doing? I’m particularly thinking of the opposition National Morale. Knowing that somebody is teetering on the edge might make you change your strategy during the game. If you think giving the actual value would be too generous, maybe display a range it falls into, for example 0-20, 21-40, etc.

Just a couple of thoughts. Would be interested in others' views.

Hi, your first suggestion regarding a Nation should surrender quicker,in reality it should,but I think it goes a lot further than that,you won in 1916,which makes me think that either you are one of the best Commanders ever born,or the game is still to easy!Without hurting your feelings here,I think the game needs to be made more difficult,and that is what I will work on doing for the 1.50 patch.[:D]

Your second point,I like a lot,creating an Eastern Front Scenario yip I'm all for that![:)]

Your third point,about getting info on enemy national morale,I think maybe if the game could enhance the diplomatic element more,then maybe you could have diplomats or some kind off spy network in place,that could influence the game.[;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: amtrick

Not sure I like the idea of SG's going to regular Infantry. The concept of the SG was local defense forces .... old men and boys. No matter what tech upgrades you gave these folks, they never would come up to the level of regular Infantry. Plus the whole idea was to make them so all they can do is stay home and protect their city. Making them regular Infantry means they can move off for the front again, leaving the city undefended. Better to have the isolated garrisons be Garrison units , which is more like what they really were in Gibraltar, etc.

Your right about the Small Garrison,its not going to be built up to represent Infantry,nope don't like that.As you say the Small Garrison's role is to protect Cities and nothing more,they should not be going any where near your front lines.[8D]
Make it so!
Tomokatu

Post by Tomokatu »

I DO! like the suggestion about having some inkling of the enemy's National Morale level. After all, in WWI each side read the other's daily newspapers and magazines. That was the major source (and still is) of basic intelligence.

I'm also very fond of the concept of having a way to affect diplomacy. I read "Riddle of the Sands", "Greenmantle", Neville Duke's "The Story of ST25" and even allowing for exaggeration there should be a component to the game which recognises covert ops. Even Cdr Samson's RNAS Armoured Car detachment on Russian front(s) had a diplomatic effect, however small their military effect may have been.

While I agree that there can be no active role for Small Garrisons, there has to be some mechanism so that they do not block and occupy deployment of other, active units.
Can they be stacked with ONE (only) other unit without adding to defence?
Can they be disbanded as necessary? If you/we want to constrain those conditions, can they only be disbanded if adjacent to a friendly infantry or artillery unit?
Something please!
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

I think it would be neat to have a "sandbox" scenario which allows for more customizable Alliance options. What if certain countries stayed neutral, or even switched sides? For example, what if Germany did not march through Belgium? What if the Triple Alliance held and Italy remained with the Central Powers? Or if the League of Three Emperors (Germany, Austria, Russia) lasted into the 20th century? What if Turkey had gone with the Allies? It would be completely ahistorical, and some combinations may be unbalanced, but it could also be fun playing the "what-if" game.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Connfire

I think it would be neat to have a "sandbox" scenario which allows for more customizable Alliance options. What if certain countries stayed neutral, or even switched sides? For example, what if Germany did not march through Belgium? What if the Triple Alliance held and Italy remained with the Central Powers? Or if the League of Three Emperors (Germany, Austria, Russia) lasted into the 20th century? What if Turkey had gone with the Allies? It would be completely ahistorical, and some combinations may be unbalanced, but it could also be fun playing the "what-if" game.

Hi Rob, very interesting idea I like.[;)]
Make it so!
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

After the CTGW iPad release, we have got the 1.50 patch high on our agenda and will include the Russian translation as well.
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk,

I can beat the game in SP as CP easy enough, but have devil of a time as CP in MP to come up with a win. Been searching for a resolution that could be workable, that could come into play after the CP "Good Times" of early 1914. What I perceive here is: It will become more difficult to find a willing MP CP opponent who wants to fight a losing battle. Not to say that all is hopeless with CP (again, said before: There are some very capable players out there who can turn my perception inside out), but, most like myself are average combatants in MP. The parameters of the game are set up for SP, might there be a different set of parameters set up for MP?

Connfire's idea has some merit worth exploring, but can it be implemented into the stock game package?

His idea also exposes the political aspect of the war that could be tweaked one way or another in the stock scenarios, which might not be "A Historical" (however could have become Historical), but could add to the playability of the game. Certainly a difficult situation to weigh in on with the game as it is..

Just thinking, Bob[8|]

Tomokatu

Post by Tomokatu »

I found much the same in MP for WWII:RtV and ToW.
I played Allied and just didn't enjoy being so thoroughly beaten in France.
Most opponents didn't want to hang around as Axis until 1943 as the tide turned.

It might have been different with a LARGE MP game with each neutral being played separately - i.e. about eight human players, but that sort of game is just too large to co-ordinate and there were too many CTDs and file transfer errors to make it feasible (except perhaps in a tournament environment with a dedicated fix-it team from Lordz/Slitheine/Matrix on hand to debug errors.) That might work
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

1.50 patch coming within 2 weeks all going well, watch this space.[:)]
Make it so!
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

[:)]

Return to “Commander - The Great War”