First Impressions?

This is a turn based fantasy game with a mix of strategy and RPG elements. It is in development at Crasleen Games, a small indie developer. The closest comparison would be a game like Battle for Wesnoth. We think its a great game from a small new studio and that this will be a solid base for Crasleen to build on for the future!
wodin

First Impressions?

Post by wodin »

Can anyone post their first impressions..the price is good and I quite like the look of it...
InuharikoMu

RE: First Impressions?

Post by InuharikoMu »

The Game remains me of Langrisser / Warsong on the Mega Drive even the Graphics are 1991 Style.
You get two Campaigns but only one Resolution (1024*768) in two flavors: Fullscreen & Windowed.

To get the right Flair of the 80 & 90 the Graphics are fixed and don't Scale when you enlarge the Window.
I give my Tip of the Hat to the Devs that they have gone to such length to give us a Wargame that make hard Men Weep because of the Eyecandy.

So it's not your Monitor dear Grognards it's only the 90'

I played the first two Missions. It a mischmasch of IGOUGO and RPG Elements. AI seems Ok.
There is a Story that is displayed via Text Messages and some Crayon Pictures from a Kindergarten.

Game System seems at first Glance superior to Fantasy Commander... Well Time will tell.... If i play that Game -> Masochist.

On my 1080p Monitor Text is blurry & Garbled so it's stressing my Old Eyes.

It has even some Sound and Music... So far the best thing on the Presentation.

On Steam this Game would get the Boot for the 15,99 € Pricetag from the Community. But that is my Opinion.

My Personal Feeling about my first Hour with Drums of War?
I'm Disapointed & Angry and i curse myself, for not waiting for a external Review.

So... I go to Bed and watch From Dusk till Dawn the Series Episode 2.... I need to Vent.....

*Update* Seems that (im my Opinion) all Official Screenshots are Windowed 1024*768 Pictures. Because they are crisp and the Text is clear.

*Upate* changing Desktop Resolution to 1024*768 and then staring the Game solved the Garbled Graphics in Fullscreen. My LG Monitor is weeping......
“If a man does his best, what else is there?”
― George S. Patton Jr.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

This is too bad. I hope it's not really as bad as it sounds, because I love this kind of game. I really tried to like Fantasy Kommander, but the horrible interface and teeny tiny maps just drove me away.

I am hoping for better things from one. You are so right about the prices that Matrix and Slitherine set, compared to a similar or better game on Steam. I know Slitherine has tried to justify it, but you should get what you pay for.

If nothing else, we still have Wesnoth.
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

This is too bad. I hope it's not really as bad as it sounds, because I love this kind of game. I really tried to like Fantasy Kommander, but the horrible interface and teeny tiny maps just drove me away.

I am hoping for better things from one. You are so right about the prices that Matrix and Slitherine set, compared to a similar or better game on Steam. I know Slitherine has tried to justify it, but you should get what you pay for.

If nothing else, we still have Wesnoth.
Graphics are a lot more worst as in Fantasy Kommander. Because of the fixed Resolution and no Scaling.
― George S. Patton Jr.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Can anyone post their first impressions..the price is good and I quite like the look of it...

I guess the graphics of the game were bound to get some flak (although I would compare graphical expectations to the fact that it is a very detailed and long game made by one guy plus some help he received), but do see not only that the graphics aren't that bad (in windowed mode especially), but for the price you get 2*30 missions in a very nice tactical level turn based fantasy game, with RPG elements (items, levelling up, skills/achievements). And the editor, which is ridiculously easy to use.
boatrigm

Post by boatrigm »

So is this another Flash engine game????

Seems to me the quality of games released lately are going down.

-Mike
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I don't know... Tamas AAR and the editor are positives. Of course, I've got the whole Elven Legacy series for $10 with great editor and graphics (compared to DoW) and the new version of Eador Broken World (not customizable, but huge game). DoW may have the edge on "tactics," but will need to study that a little bit more.

Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: boatrigm

So is this another Flash engine game????

Seems to me the quality of games released lately are going down.

-Mike

It is not a Flash game.
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

Dear Tames,

Sorry you are a Company... Your Job is it to Buy Cheap and sell it with a fat Margin.
Do you Know why Valve is a the Top of the Digital Distribution Foodchain?
They Invest in their Products, they invest in Developer.

So help the One Guy with a Graphic Artist and pay him some Dough that he can upgrade his Engine Tool.

That's why we Older Grognards pay Premium Rates for Matrix & Slitherine Games, and expect Premium Games.

Not something like Piercing Fortress Europe WITHOUT SOUND and half the Manual on Release.

Right @tm you are not doing yourself a Favor with this Kind of Quality Standart.
Will you wake up when Valve assimilate the Grognards Market with their Distribution Platform?
That would be Sad.

I have now 43 Products from Slitherine / Matrix and at the Moment wouldn't buy your Products without an external Review anymore.
― George S. Patton Jr.
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

*Upate* changing Desktop Resolution to 1024*768 and then staring the Game solved the Garbled Graphics in Fullscreen.

My LG Monitor is weeping......
― George S. Patton Jr.
fireserval7

Post by fireserval7 »

I've only played for an hour or so, but I'm enjoying it. In my opinion the graphics are fine for this type of game - it's got a nice board game feel. AI seems good, but again I've only played for a little bit. I do like the pacing. I love tactical games with rpg elements so this is my cup of tea. I'll try to post in more detail when I've played some more.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

ORIGINAL: fireserval7

I've only played for an hour or so, but I'm enjoying it. In my opinion the graphics are fine for this type of game - it's got a nice board game feel. AI seems good, but again I've only played for a little bit. I do like the pacing. I love tactical games with rpg elements so this is my cup of tea. I'll try to post in more detail when I've played some more.

Great, it will be nice to get past the graphics rant, which looked apparent from the screen shots. [;)]
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I'm actually pretty excited about this release. I wish more resolutions were supported but I had a lot of fun playing the outdated demo that was out and from what I understand, it has been improved upon from then. It's not Total War, but then again, it never claimed to be.

Take it for what it is and I'm planning on killing some time with it. The price is doable. I'd like to see the genre/game improve with further releases.

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I'm on the fence...not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this game....someone convince me.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
boatrigm

Post by boatrigm »

For me, I would have to have a demo before I buy otherwise I will just move on.

-Mike
Southpaw Samurai

Post by Southpaw Samurai »

However I may feel with a few more hours of Drums of War under my belt, this game certainly does not give off a good first impression.

Despite some poor opinions earlier today, I broke down and picked it up because I used to love somewhat lite tactical battle games going back to the days of Breach and Paladin and from the description and screenshots, this reminded me a lot of them and how their editors allowed for a lot of fun and variety (as least, to my childhood memories). Right now I am regretting that hasty decision. Richtschnur might seem a little harsh, but he's not far off. DoW actually lived up too much to my thoughts from before the purchase. It looks and feels as if I started up DOSBox and loaded up Paladin II, except with hexes.

There is some depth to the tactics (more than those old games, anyway), but so far it doesn't feel all that much deeper (granted, I've only played a few skirmishes to get a feel for different units and a battle I whipped up in the editor, so there might be more that I just haven't delved deep enough for yet). The units, with a few exceptions, seem to lack variety between factions and are fairly generic fantasy types - if I tell you the four factions are Humans, Orcs, Undead, and Dwarves, you'll probably guess 85%+ of the units).

Effects, sounds, music, and graphics (if you can overlook the late 80's/early 90's feel) are all passable with some highlights. Not bad for a tiny team.

What I found most disappointing so far is the editor, which is where I had placed much hope beyond a sound tactical base game. It is very easy to use, but ultimately feels very limited and I fear that what little community will bite at DoW will not be able to breathe a second life into the game through creative missions and campaigns. You're pretty much limited to the base units, heroes, and artifacts from the main game with little chance to add any personal touch to them. The maps editor doesn't allow for triggers (besides gate opening devices) or events or anything for more creative endeavors. You basically lay terrain, units, and items, and then just have a go. I'll have to do some digging, but I'm hoping perhaps there's some flexibility for modding (after all, the simplistic graphics should allow for someone to change things up without too much art hassle). Looking at the data files the editor creates, however, it doesn't look like there's room for any behind the scenes modding o the missions, so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything truly creative or different to come out of the community. Fans have surprised me in the past, though.

Overall, I hate to sound negative, but this is a first impression thread and right now, it disappoints at first look. I'm hoping to feel the drive to give it a bit more of a go and see if there's more to it than at first seems, but I still fear that in the long run, it won't live long past it's initial built-in missions and that will barely feel worth the price.
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

Dear Community,

I don't care about Graphics, Period. I care about a tech engine with a fixed Resolution in the Year 2014.

As far as i'm concerned, a Game can look like ASCII (Dwarf Fortress) (HAHA a complex free to play ASCII GAME with 1080p Resolution)
as long as it support varied Resolutions that modern TFT Monitors support.

So everything from 1280*1024 to 1920*1080.

Dear Matrix / Slitherine
Matrix / Slitherine charge Premium, I expect Premium.

Because we older Guys WILL BUY THE GAME even if it's 30 Euro's instead of 15,99 when the technical Framework is acceptable.

Ask People that bought World in Flames how Happy they are with their Purchase. Or the few that bought Piercing Fortress Soundless.
Fantasy Kommander few Month out, still no Patch.

Lock N Load Stalingrad -> Big Problems if u have a TFT Monitor with an Resolution under 1366*768, because the UI is designed for bigger Resolution.

What Matrix need is a common denominator in the Tech Department.
Like Ok dear Devs:

We only Accept Games with a scalable UI / GUI from 1366*768 to 1080p.
Oh you have no Knowledge how to do that?
Well let us help you.

But in the End... One can only Hope...

Most Company develop over the Time first Hubris, then they produce red Numbers in the Ledgers.
Then they get Desperate.
Are you?
― George S. Patton Jr.
boatrigm

Post by boatrigm »

+1
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi Guys, I purchased the game yesterday,but to honest have not played the game yet,but I have read the manual and the editor manual,I was over on the Slitherine forum today, and there is a very interesting little scenario that has been created by the in game editor,so please give the game a chance, its not as bad as a lot are making out,I think it has a lot of potential.[:)]

By the way this little scenario was created by Tamas.[&o]

http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 2742f4646a
Make it so!
Radagy

Post by Radagy »

Richtschnur,

+1

Return to “Drums of War”