Beginner scenario - Stand Up (spoilers)

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

chrisol

Beginner scenario - Stand Up (spoilers)

Post by chrisol »

Hi,

Following the advice on the beginner scenario thread I've been playing Stand Up from the UK side.

I note that the rules of engagement are:

"UK forces may only fire in self defense or when its absolutely clear they're going to be attacked..."

... and I was wondering what people thought would be an appropriate point to take action.

So far I've had:
- an Argentinian helicopter (actually ASW so essentially not an actual threat) buzzing round HMS Portland (I'm guessing this wouldn't be considered very friendly normally)
- an Orion flying high up (likewise)around the ship
- attack planes flying in on an approach directly towards the ship... (OK, this is looking more serious)

When would people press the red button ?
(either in game or in real life)

bw
Chris
Dimitris

RE: Beginner scenario - Stand Up (spoilers)

Post by Dimitris »

...when they start taunting you by mimicking Maradona's "Hand of God" goal?

(Territorial disputes are one thing, but soccer is where the gloves really come off.)
jtoatoktoe

Post by jtoatoktoe »

I found the chopper buzzing at 20ft above my ship quite hostile and annoying, but my attack was actually when the Argentine SAG fired on my flight of 2 Typhoons.....then I let loose. Sadly The Portland decided to launch all 8 on 1 ship, luckily 1 was left over after the kill it turned and killed the other ship. Portland probably would have sank due to flooding as a Exocet got through. But after a few hrs I stopped playing as the threats were taken care of at the time.
dillonkbase

Post by dillonkbase »

"It was at that time, that I felt threatened" the key words used to describe the actions of a soldier who fired the first bullet
Coiler12

Post by Coiler12 »

I let the helicopter fly near me for a bit before smacking it. This was followed by easily shooting down the Skyhawks with my Eurofighters, getting my one combat loss when one of my own helicopters was checking out unidentified skunks and got too close to an Argentine vessel, having the bomb-equipped Eurofighters sink one ship, then Harpooning the others.
Fox1

Post by Fox1 »

For me it was when the Skyhawks had been positively ID'd by my Typhoons. I hesitated for a few moments, before considering:

A. The helicopter buzzing me, whilst an annoyance, was also providing up-to-date intelligence on the Portland. This, in combination with:
B. The (significant number) of Skyhawks on an obvious intercept vector with the Portland.

If they had been flying at a slower speed, and in less numbers, I think I would have relented. But the combination of these factors made me (acting as the CO of the Portland) feel somewhat threatened. I doubted all those Argentines were coming for a friendly chat.

And so the Typhoons annihilated them. The Argentine ships were destroyed via a mixture of Harpoons and GBUs from the Typhoons.

Finally, to make a point, I sortied a pair of Typhoons to drop some GBUs on Rio Gallegos and strafe the runway. It was satisfying.

Never again.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Bazza042

Post by Bazza042 »

My only comment about this scenario, other than reflecting the same experience as the other posters, was that occasionally I had to refer
to the Game losses and expenditures screen (cheating I know) to determine whether the Argentine SAG had been sunk. I got notification in
the messages that the Harpoons had penetrated the two ships but both were sometime later still shown on the radar as afloat and thus a 'threat'
(no flooding or damage) although both were already shown as sunk on the 'losses' screen.

On the second playing I downed the bloody tanker which kept on circling hopefully about every hour or so waiting for some custom from the already
downed attack aircraft. Only then did the scenario finish. Seemed a bit unfair somehow to down an unarmed tanker...... I would have thought the scenario
should finish (automatically) when the last attack aircraft had been downed. Unless the tanker goes kamikaze on Portland occasionally.....

BTW did anyone manage to 'dock' the British SAG at Stanley? I tried but after a bit of manouvering (mainly on land!) I left the undamaged SAG in the inlet.

So I think that as an 'official' scenario, and a good introduction, it might be worth tidying these two points up.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”