Doubt About Space Bases (resources shortages)

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

eater of stars

Doubt About Space Bases (resources shortages)

Post by eater of stars »

Hello people.
I have 2 problems i know i ask one of them in another question but i think i didnt get it so this are my 2 questions.
1_____when i colonize a new planet i always send build a STAR BASE with one of my constructors this base contains medical facility, comerce center, docking bays, recreational. (and the most basics: fuel storage cargo bay command center and all that basic stuff except weapons or shields) the plan that i have whit this STAR BASES it was to build a cheap kind of like space port so my colonies will growth more faster so i decided that i will put one of this ports in every colony so the distribution of resouces where actually better but people seems this strategy wrong because the i.a. from the private sectro will go crazy and wont make my resources distribution as good as i planed so think of this as some kind of like question-idea(maybe good maybe wrong i dont know).
that i have and if you think im correct or wrong please tell me.
2______(this is more simple i guess)how to hell i make 1 of my goddamn colonies grow faster if the idea that i tell you is wrong or you think is wrong how im going to do to make my colonies to grow faster and please dont tell me to do the nextpoints that im about to tell you because i used in every game and they sometimes work some others not.
1--lower your taxes in all your new colonies. (i already do that)
2--look for luxury resources close to your colonies. (i already do that)
3--build strategically space ports across your colonies. (i already do that buttttt maybe im not doing it correctly so please if you know when and where to build one please tell me im desesperate to know)
4--colonize planets with a minimum of 70% of planetary quality (i already do that)
and those are the tips strategys movements or whatever the hell you want to call it but like i say sometimes work some others not.
so please if you know a way to do it better to get thinks more faster develop and to be more sucefull every time you colonize a planet please tell me.
thanks for the answer and your time. [&o]
Deathball

RE: Doubt About Space Bases (resources shortages)

Post by Deathball »

I'm sorry but please improve the readability of your post as I have no idea what you're talking about or what your problem is.
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

Basicly you already know all. But you are impatiance ! :-)
I think you want that the new colonies grow up faster so the give you faster for cash income or ?
But the colony development at DW are a very slow progress, it takes along time before you can start to tax them.
Mosttimes you start new colonies to secure the resources, increase your territory.
When you want want more cash income you should colonize/invade independet colonies which already got a good amount of population, that boost your income.
Some player set the tax at their homeworld to 0 at the start until the homeworld got max. population or he need cash to build anything.
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

Producing star bases will not make your private sector mess up your resource distribution. That only happens when you build space ports, because the private sector will keep them stocked with a large amount of strategic resources for potential construction. Building star bases is only a problem in that they have a maintenance cost...ie it's not a problem at all.

If you add construction yards and manufacturing plants to your star base, that will make it function like a star port. In turn, your private sector will allocate a lot of resources to that base. If you have too many of these your resources will be stretched thin.

As long as you don't add those components you will be fine.

Edited for clarification and typo.
VorteeX

Post by VorteeX »

And if i'm read correctly you send constructor to build starbase over new colony ? It's bad idea for colony grown itself. Becose if you wanna colony grown faster you need make them working, build spacestations, ships. So private sector bring more resources there and incrase planet GDP (value).
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

You want a constructor to build it because their default build speed (300) will be greater than the construction speed on a planet until it reaches a certain population. Some independents could begin at a population that allows for construction speed around 300, but usually this will only be for the 'lost independent colony' event, which features a colony with pop around 2 million.

Basically, flick over to the construction tab in colony view (or go straight to construction yards from the main interface) and check whether your planet has a construction speed over 300. If not, use a constructor. The added advantage of a constructor is that it picks up all the necessary resources from a space port. A planet has to wait for everything to be delivered, which usually takes some time.

I don't know what you mean by "Becose if you wanna colony grown faster you need make them working, build spacestations, ships. So private sector bring more resources there and incrase planet GDP (value)." Can you clarify that for me? I'm not sure whether I'm answering your question.
Deathball

Post by Deathball »

Even if your planet has 300 construction speed I'd still go with the construction ship simply because using up all the planet's resources to build a base would get you those massive resource shortage penalties.
ReadeB

Post by ReadeB »

1. Answered above. I use defensive bases, but should work the same. Just avoid construction yards except where you build Space ports.

2. The only thing missing from above is having a nice fast passenger ship design to keep the migrants coming to new colonies. Late game you can build or capture the medical wonder that increases population growth empire-wide. Make sure taxes on growing colonies are 0%, not 1% or 2%. 0% is the magic number.

2.5 One other thing is to build colony ships at colonies where the dominant species are of native type to your destination colony. IOW If your target is volcanic, build your colony ship at a colony where the dominant species are native to volcanic planets. Your colony ship will be filled with colonists that are native to your new colony and very happy.

In my one late game, my new colonies grew faster than I could keep up.
Phier

Post by Phier »

I've been using a very cheap, very limited small spaceport on starting colonies which is quick to build and with a recreational and medical facility. Its a great way to quickly pump up the happiness levels, especially on independent, invaded, or just unruly empire colony ship inhabitants.

I put only 1 storage bay in them, cut the labs and everything else. Upkeep is about 1k, and seems to be a nice compromise. No defense of course, but no real loss if it dies.
eater of stars

Post by eater of stars »

hello people.
first of all i want to apologize for my grammar i made this post very late i was tired and i had much sleep and english is not my primary language.(spanish).
so im very sorry about my grammar but im gonna do it better this time or at least i try.
1----what i try to say is that i build a very basic star base so basic that even one of my construction ship can build fast on one of my recent colonies so i only put this components:medical facility,commerce center,docking bays and the recreational component. and then of course i put the very basic components (fuel,reactor,cargo bay,life support,hab module) im talking about the most basic things that the warning screen tells me that i need in order to make the star base to work and of course i dont put weapons or shields or all that expensive stuff only the basics.
the reason why i make this bases is to make my colonies to grow more faster and to develop like i say more fast.
my question was do you think this star base can actually make the I.A (artificial inteligence) to go crazy and actually to make a mess with my resources distribution on my empire.(do you think is a good idea or a bad idea im asking opinions not actually making a question).[:)]
2----what i have to do in order to make my colonies to grow and develop more faster?.
but please before you start telling me your strategies allow me to tell you the techniques and strategies that i listen and read in other posts,videos and websites.that i use in my empire.
1--lower your taxes in all your new colonies so they can develop and grow more faster. (i already do that)
2--look for luxury resources close to your colonies that make your colonies to develop more faster.(i already do that)
3--build strategically space ports across the colonies of your empire. (i already do that BUT i dont know where should i put them and how to use them correctly could you please tell me where to build them.) i dont know if i should build them on one of my colonies or in the medium of my empire without a colony close.
4--colonize planets with a minimum of 70% of planetary quality (i already do that)
the problem that i have with this steps or strategies is that my colonies grow so slow and develop even more slower even when im the empire that actually mine the most and have many gas and mining station all across the galaxy.
but the warning of resources shortages are hampering the grow of the colony still continue to appear and we are talking about big negative numbers like 9,7,2 in almost all my colonies i have those numbers
so if you actually know some good strategies that i didnt mention or maybe i dont know them that can actually make my colonies to grow more faster and to develop the same way I would be very grateful.[:)]
thanks.
Deathball

Post by Deathball »

What you're doing is pretty much the "recommended" strategy for colony growth, i.e. starbases and 0% tax until max population but it sounds like you're having resource shortages. If your colonies lack strategic resources like steel it'll put a massive damper on their growth so if you see colonies suffering from shortages, note the resources they're missing and build mining bases on nearby sources of this resource.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I build SLOWLY. Because, if you try to do to much to quickly you will go red. In 20 years game time I will have between 10 and 15 colonies and enough support to grow and expand faster later on. Mentioned above, I do build a defensive base at every colony. Why because the pirates love undefended planets. I complete the base and move my 4 frigates to the next new world to start a colony.[:)] By the way, try to keep the language friendly.[:)]
Cheers
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
NightReaper

Post by NightReaper »

And Canute makes a very important point which we all must learn to do and that is to pace yourself. The going is slow in the beginning and you must overcome the nagging feeling that you are leaving something undone. This leads to over expansion before your economy can handle it and sadly this is one of my biggest problems in 4x genre games and it is a hard one to get control of. You are not losing necessarily just because you haven't clicked the mouse button for the last several minutes
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Indeed, part of the beauty of Distant Worlds for me is that serenity of watching the clockwork universe unfold without need for my constant involvement. I've mapped out the direction for my space critters, now it's up to them to build it out (and get busy making lots more space critters!). [;)]
eater of stars

Post by eater of stars »

thanks for your answers people and sorry if i was rude i have play this game over 1/2 year and im not new in the genre of 4x games (master of orion, galactic civilizations2, space empíres 4,star ruler,civilizations 2 and 4 alpha centauri) and what actually bothers me is the fact that i dont get the flow or the rhythm of this truly a master piece in the genre of the 4x games. so im sorry ok[:)]
Cheers General
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Phier

I've been using a very cheap, very limited small spaceport on starting colonies

I'm wondering if this will create resource distribution problems with your private sector ships racing around to try to move stockpiles there. Wouldn't it be better to use a def base or some such non-port orbital platform?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

Yes Space Port's will create resource distribution problems, because on a Space Port the private sector can order new ships, new ship orders will cause new distribution orders, ....

Thats why players only build Space Ports at well developed colonies who allready got a good resource income. At other colonies they build StarBases or Defence bases. Basicly the same like Space Ports but without construction yards.

Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Canute

Yes Space Port's will create resource distribution problems, because on a Space Port the private sector can order new ships, new ship orders will cause new distribution orders, ....

That's why I questioned the wisdom of Phier's suggestion. If the OP followed his advice, he'd be creating a lot of private sector problems. Iirc, Elliot suggested a maximum ratio of 1 port per 3 systems (or was it planets?).
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

It was planets.
ORIGINAL: elliotg
Ideally you should have around one spaceport for every 3-4 colonies. And you should have at least 5 times as many mining stations as spaceports. You should locate spaceports at strategically critical colonies throughout your territory.

The other single most important thing to do to ensure efficient transportation of resources is to keep your transport routes safe from enemy ships, pirates and space creatures (to/from mining stations, spaceports and colonies).

Hope this helps,
Elliot
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

To add to the strategy list:

1. Invade independents in the early game. They come with much higher populations than new colonies so you will reach maximum population on them much faster.
2. Build Koloros Medical Academy when available.

Has anyone examined the impact of population policy and the effectiveness of passenger ships of larger than default sizes?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”