Unit bases - SS Roundel

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

Darthmason

RE: Unit bases - SS Roundel

Post by Darthmason »

I like where this is going!![:D][:D]
I was actually going to ask if another way around that would be a unit graphic mod vs the unit base? Time consuming I'm sure, but could one mod a specific unit graphic and attach it vs a unit base that's tied to a country? At least for infantry/engineer units. For example, I would love to mod my airborne units so I could tell them apart from conventional infantry/engineers in 3D view - Brit Paras would have red berets, 101/82nd similar to true jump uniforms (big pocket jackets, etc), Jaegers with telling cutoff helmets, etc. Not sure if the level of detail would work (red berets would look like giant strawberries if I tried it). Curious[8|]
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Darthmason

I like where this is going!![:D][:D] ... could one mod a specific unit graphic and attach it vs a unit base that's tied to a country? ...
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

I like where this is going also![8D]

Here's my SS base...a question for Warhorse.

Is there a simple trick for making the "selected" graphic? Some kind of filter to apply?
Also is it possible to add more icons to the end of the icons2d.bmp?

Thanks.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (3.24 KiB) Viewed 277 times
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

Is there a simple trick for making the "selected" graphic? Some kind of filter to apply?
No simple trick. Requires code changes. For future release! (Likely not 2.01, though.)
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

I like where this is going also![8D]

Here's my SS base...a question for Warhorse.

Also is it possible to add more icons to the end of the icons2d.bmp?

Thanks.

As for the 2Dicons, don't bother, I'm already doing this in an official capacity, I've added upwards of 200+ unique military symbols, and tons more 2d graphics for the Germans/Russians in the icons2d.bmp!! It's kinda tricky, with the numbering though! Reason I say don't bother, is because as this is official, all the oob's are getting an overhaul with 2Dicon assignments, also MOST units will have a unique 2d picture as well!! WF is done, just started on EF, Russia, Germany and Italy completed, working on Rumania. The last patch had a sample of my project included, if you play WF, you will notice the Germans and Russians in there are overhauled, as well as a few other countrys. Since then I have completed the WF, and started in EF, next RS!

Regarding your icon, what do you mean trick for making the selected graphic? For creating the SS base or something else?[&:] Feel free to email me if you need further detail, it's no bother!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

no I meant in the game, when a unit is...I guess I should've said "unselected"...the base is the more dull color. I was curious if there is an easy way to make that graphic by applying a filter or something to the "selected" base graphic.
As for the 2Dicons, don't bother, I'm already doing this in an official capacity, I've added upwards of 200+ unique military symbols, and tons more 2d graphics for the Germans/Russians in the icons2d.bmp!!

yes! I should've said I was modding in WF...so it is possible to add more icons to the bottom of this file?
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Ahh, gotcha. It's been awhile, but I believe I used to use a circle select tool, then using the "adjust brightness" tool, ran the brightness up, to make a more faded look to it? Using Paintshop Pro. Base looks good!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Ahh, gotcha. It's been awhile, but I believe I used to use a circle select tool, then using the "adjust brightness" tool, ran the brightness up, to make a more faded look to it? Using Paintshop Pro. Base looks good!
Thanks, I'll give it a shot!
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Here's what the new 2dicon.bmp looks like!

Attachments
icons2d.jpg
icons2d.jpg (149.22 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

Mike

Holy cow Mike!!! Looks like a scroll you hold in your hands and it unrolls to your feet! I know a real good eye doctor. [:D]

Wow all this discussion is pretty exciting. Think our maps are going to look even more beautiful in the next year.

Juggalo

That base looks really nice... elegant and sinister.

and.....

Berto

Sounds like you and the team have some interesting cards still up your sleeve. The possibilities you discuss are very exciting.
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

That's a great idea! Cleaned up some edges, changed colors a bit, and used your method to lighten.

[X(] Wow! That worked great! These sets are done 3D, 4D, and 5D along with some minor overwrites of national insignia on Mike's gorgeous 2dicon file.

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Those are kick-ass looking!! Please send me when you are ready, nice detail, my friend!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
berto

Post by berto »

This is all exciting stuff, but I'm also thinking:

[*]Won't too much base colorfulness and busyness tend to obscure the unit figures?
[*]Won't too much base colorfulness and busyness tend to obscure one side from another? (Especially if bases are done by unit. The "Big Red One"?)
[*]Given the above, shouldn't we have yet another optional rule: Use alternative bases, yes or no?
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I use bases in 3D because I can't see troops in most terrain. Most 3 figure troops and vehicles obscure most of the graphic on the base so a different color base would be needed to differentiate units. The mods that I have made for myself I don't use a lighter version. I don't like the washed out look and I can tell what is selected by the outline.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
berto

Post by berto »

I agree: I always play 3D with unit bases turned on. (Oh, maybe not in desert scenarios.)

But if you have an American unit, with a reddish unit base, going up against a Vietnamese unit, also with a reddish unit base, might not it get visually confusing? (And similarly in other scenarios with other nations and other units and other colors.) Even more so in some terrains?

I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it all works out. But alternative unit bases should still be an optional rule, I think.

This sort of thing must drive color blind players crazy!
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I've debated making them larger, covering more terrain, but more room for emblems. Lazy way is using existing art and flood filling, then pasting.

In RS and Vietnam I'm likely to have green for army and red for marines if that becomes possible. Green uniforms on US and tan on IJA or NVA.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

ORIGINAL: berto

This is all exciting stuff, but I'm also thinking:

[*]Won't too much base colorfulness and busyness tend to obscure the unit figures?
[*]Won't too much base colorfulness and busyness tend to obscure one side from another? (Especially if bases are done by unit. The "Big Red One"?)
[*]Given the above, shouldn't we have yet another optional rule: Use alternative bases, yes or no?

Berto,

You are very correct. I've been constantly tuning mine for that very reason. What can seem to look very nice in an edit program can suddenly look like an army of fire trucks on a map. Good point in example was my first attempt at DAK. I really liked them when I was editing but when I loaded them in a large scenario I was horrified. [X(] I subdued a bit again last night. Results are below. Side by side not much of a difference, on the map though a different story.

Don't think it would obscure one side from another. When modding them I've tried to stay with the games original base color for the nation represented. Biggest deviation was getting rid of blue tones and going for more of a feldgrau for the Germans. Of course if the Afrika Korps was ever mixing it with Soviet Guards......

I think included in a stock version should be Waffen SS, Soviet Guards, US Marines, and perhaps Airborne and Fallschirmjäger? For myself I get a kick out of seeing what I can come up with so even with those options standard I'd probably still mod for certain divisions. Like Gross Deutschland which I've started playing around with but not yet complete, again see below.

Mike,

I'll send you sets sometime this weekend. Somebody said something about sending to Jason too. If you want to forward them to him feel free.

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Hey man, please do, will make sure they are included as a User Mod, for everyone, if that is okay with you?
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

Okay finished GD last night. Did 2 versions, standard helmet insignia and a second later war using Wehrmacht camo pattern.

Mike

Sent you an email. As soon as you respond I'll forward all the bases to you. Certainly you can include as a user mod. I'd be honored. [8D]

My eyes are shot, so I'm taking a break for a while. When I do some more I'll add to this thread.

Enjoy.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Wow, those look great!!

Jason Petho

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”