OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

danlongman

RE: OT: Plane Lost Malaysia - You can help

Post by danlongman »

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Wow, I deduce that this is a hijacking and not a crash based on reporting in the Wall Street Journal and I’m branded an alarmist or 911 truther… It’s not speculation unless the reporting is wrong, and the WSJ is not a paper that retracts stories very often if ever due to reporting falsehoods.

Now for some actual speculation I’ll answer the Who?/Motive? Question. I can think of four possibilities.

Terrorists/To give them an inter-continental delivery strike capability to create terror and death.

Putin/To give him a means to hit his enemies and assert plausible deniability for the act (i.e. blame terrorists). This is simply based on the timing of the event which coincides with the Ukraine crisis.

Jewel thieves or some other form of thief/Steal possible valuable cargo (if there is actually any cargo worth stealing, just a guess).

Suicidal crew member/To die in the news.

Now that’s some actual speculation.

Jim
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

Whose to say the hijacking didn't go wrong and they were trying to take it somewhere with a big runway and lots of publicity as most hijackers want? Seems more plausible than your first two options. The first two sound like a script from a jerry brockhimer film
ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Wow, I deduce that this is a hijacking and not a crash based on reporting in the Wall Street Journal and I’m branded an alarmist or 911 truther… It’s not speculation unless the reporting is wrong, and the WSJ is not a paper that retracts stories very often if ever due to reporting falsehoods.

Now for some actual speculation I’ll answer the Who?/Motive? Question. I can think of four possibilities.

Terrorists/To give them an inter-continental delivery strike capability to create terror and death.

Putin/To give him a means to hit his enemies and assert plausible deniability for the act (i.e. blame terrorists). This is simply based on the timing of the event which coincides with the Ukraine crisis.

Jewel thieves or some other form of thief/Steal possible valuable cargo (if there is actually any cargo worth stealing, just a guess).

Suicidal crew member/To die in the news.

Now that’s some actual speculation.

Jim
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

It was the New Zealanders testing their new caffeine powered "energy" weapons.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Someone went to a lot of trouble and planning to take the aircraft, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have already had a runway in mind when they took it.

You're assuming someone took it. Who? Motive? Where would it land? This isn't a drug runner's Cessna you can land on almost any grass strip carved out in the boondocks.

Doesn't have to be a paved landing field for it to land. Sure it would dig up the turf but land anywhere there is a field opening it could. I'd be searching islands in a 4hour radius from last reported in the air. Gilligan's island may be out there. [:D]
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

A plane that size and weight would likely snap its landing gear off in sand or grass or any other soft surface and would likely crash. Planes that size and more importantly weight are not pulling 1940s B-17 landings.
ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Someone went to a lot of trouble and planning to take the aircraft, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have already had a runway in mind when they took it.

You're assuming someone took it. Who? Motive? Where would it land? This isn't a drug runner's Cessna you can land on almost any grass strip carved out in the boondocks.

Doesn't have to be a paved landing field for it to land. Sure it would dig up the turf but land anywhere there is a field opening it could. I'd be searching islands in a 4hour radius from last reported in the air. Gilligan's island may be out there. [:D]
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Even if the plane exploded or break apart high in the air, they should find some debris on the water, some of it is floatation. Now its possible that it has been hi-jacked, look like the pilot or group planned this all along. So no contact? Seem that they manage to collect all cellphones at the right time before disappeared under the radar, in that case, they would have to fly very low altitude to avoid radar. There no telling where they went.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brighammcco ... -happened/ You mean like this?
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Even if the plane exploded or break apart high in the air, they should find some debris on the water, some of it is floatation. Now its possible that it has been hi-jacked, look like the pilot or group planned this all along. So no contact? Seem that they manage to collect all cellphones at the right time before disappeared under the radar, in that case, they would have to fly very low altitude to avoid radar. There no telling where they went.

And if they're out of cell range?

As for flying at low altitude:

A 777's cruise altitude for best range performance varies from 30,000 at max weight, to about 43,000 at low weight...Fuel burn at cruise altitude is far less than at low altitude, and again, taking a moderately heavy weight airplane at normal cruise, a 777 burns about 8,000#/hr per engine, but that number drops to about 5,000#/hr per engine at low weights and optimum altitude.

In terms of nautical miles per pound of fuel, being at 5,000 feet gets you less than half the range of being at cruise. (this is a bit of an oversimplification, it depends on the airplane's weight, the temperature, and the airspeed flown, but it's close enough for our purposes here)...so, a 777 loaded with fuel for 4,000 miles likely can't go farther than 2,000 miles if flown at low altitude. Less if it was being flown at a high airspeed (which burns more fuel per mile).

There are so many variables, that I can only speak in generalities...but jet airplanes guzzle fuel when flown at low altitude. In fact, at idle, on the ground, they're often burning about half the fuel per minute that they burn when going 540 MPH in cruise...

That's from a 757/67 rated pilot on another forum
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

A 777's cruise altitude for best range performance varies from 30,000 at max weight, to about 43,000 at low weight...Fuel burn at cruise altitude is far less than at low altitude, and again, taking a moderately heavy weight airplane at normal cruise, a 777 burns about 8,000#/hr per engine, but that number drops to about 5,000#/hr per engine at low weights and optimum altitude.

In terms of nautical miles per pound of fuel, being at 5,000 feet gets you less than half the range of being at cruise. (this is a bit of an oversimplification, it depends on the airplane's weight, the temperature, and the airspeed flown, but it's close enough for our purposes here)...so, a 777 loaded with fuel for 4,000 miles likely can't go farther than 2,000 miles if flown at low altitude. Less if it was being flown at a high airspeed (which burns more fuel per mile).

There are so many variables, that I can only speak in generalities...but jet airplanes guzzle fuel when flown at low altitude. In fact, at idle, on the ground, they're often burning about half the fuel per minute that they burn when going 540 MPH in cruise...

I agreed with you there too, like you said there are so many variables and possibilities.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

To me, it sounds more and more like the Payne Stewart situation. Flies in random directions. Erratic changes in altitude. It sounds like the plane was unpiloted and depressurized. How it got that way I can only guess at, but I'm thinking that there may have been some catastrophic damage to the cockpit that kills the crew, de-pressurizes the plane and disables various systems.

If it had been hijacked, why would they waste fuel flying out into the Indian Ocean or Zigzagging? They certainly weren't avoiding radar, since they have a track for them for quite a way.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

To me, it sounds more and more like the Payne Stewart situation. Flies in random directions. Erratic changes in altitude. It sounds like the plane was unpiloted and depressurized. How it got that way I can only guess at, but I'm thinking that there may have been some catastrophic damage to the cockpit that kills the crew, de-pressurizes the plane and disables various systems.

If it had been hijacked, why would they waste fuel flying out into the Indian Ocean or Zigzagging? They certainly weren't avoiding radar, since they have a track for them for quite a way.
warspite1

What are you saying?!? Payne Stewart hijacked the plane? I bet Elvis was his co-hijacker....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

What are you saying?!? Payne Stewart hijacked the plane? I bet Elvis was his co-hijacker....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South ... rjet_crash
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South ... rjet_crash
warspite1

I know....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I agreed with you there too, like you said there are so many variables and possibilities.

As far as fuel, yes. But the bottom line is the lower you fly, the more fuel you burn
Southernland

Post by Southernland »

¡¡ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯɐ ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Southern_land

Found it!!

http://vietnam.craigslist.org/for/4372477162.html

Now that's funny! [:D]
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

"The satellite imagery company ************, which owns an advanced constellation of commercial satellites, is encouraging citizens to comb through satellite images in response to the disappearance of the plane.

******* today activated its crowdsourcing platform in an effort to locate the Boeing 777 jetliner that mysteriously disappeared on Saturday while in flight from Malaysia to Beijing. If you would like to volunteer your time to support the rescue mission, please visit ******* Tomnod platform to begin combing through satellite imagery for clues that may help locate the missing aircraft
"

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

Courtney Love thinks she’s found Malaysian plane – and posts images as ‘proof’

"Courtney Love has suggested a missing Malaysian plane may have crashed in the ocean and has even offered exact co-ordinates as to where it may be.

"The musician revealed the theory in a Facebook post earlier today, which came accompanied by a photo she had doctored that showed ‘oil’ and ‘a plane’ ...

"The original image was taken from Tomnod, a crowdsourcing tool that uses satellite images. The grab used by Love was listed as having been taken on March 12th."

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/17/courtney- ... f-4626547/

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

danlongman

Post by danlongman »

I am not an SME but that makes as much sense as anything. There are still some annoying loose ends.
The author knew what he was talking about. That puts him ahead of just about anybody. Still
just how many stolen passports are floating around that area anyway?

Return to “General Discussion”