Distant Worlds: Universe Announced!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Erik Rutins

RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Announced!

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Spidey
The biggest question for me, besides the obvious one of whether the AI can deal with modded changes, is whether we can change that damn tiny font. I'm sick and tired of 1366 by 768 but I just can't read the damn text if I use my monitor's native 1920 by 1080. Some appreciation of those with crap eyesight would be really nice. [:)]

We actually increased the font size in all the key problem areas during Shadows development as well as added the ability to scale the text part of the main display. Beyond that, there's not much more we can do until DW2.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Feygan,
ORIGINAL: feygan
I must be reading some other product page here. The expansion was originally due out in March and now pushed back to May for unknown reasons. So if you do not yet have a pricing level set then how was it ever really due out in March? Was it just a lucky dip of various prices for some lucky office member to choose?

We've decided on a price, but the price announcement is going to happen later, for various good reasons. You'll know the price and upgrade plan before release.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Deathball
Erik, can you give us some info regarding AI modding? It was mentioned before but this is really the biggest roadblock regarding extensive overhauls because what is the point of new components and technologies if the AI doesn't know how to use them?

The AI should be able to handle the mods. We spent a fair amount of time testing and tweaking that. I'm sure someone will find a way that we didn't consider after release, but we plan to keep an eye on things and update it if necessary.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Maponus

Post by Maponus »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ORIGINAL: Euler
You might consider including a "demo project" with the game that shows people how to use the modding tools. Like a modded version of the game as a mod tutorial.

That could then be another item on your list of things that will be included with the new release.

That's actually what we've done - the new storyline for the Ancient Galaxy with the Freedom Alliance vs. Shaktur Axis war was built entirely with the same tools/capabilities we are giving to modders. You can look at it as a reference mod, but I'm sure there will be even bigger and better ones coming from the modding community after release.

Regards,

- Erik

So, by learning from this storyline - you could create a narrative driven campaign fought between two alliances?

This would be good for a Warhammer 31k (i.e. Great Crusade/Horus Heresy) mod, which would probably suffer immersion wise from a fully randomised conflict.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Just looking at the screenshots in the announcement. The Machine Intelligence new technology looks interesting as a 5% victory condition bonus every year will help move the end game along to a conclusion. I really hope the Shaktur Dominion are serious bad asses (e.g. like the Borg in Star Trek Armada 3) and this game is much more difficult. I want to get slaughtered in my first Universe game ...
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Icemania
I really hope the Shaktur Dominion are serious bad asses (e.g. like the Borg in Star Trek Armada 3) and this game is much more difficult. I want to get slaughtered in my first Universe game ...

Well, I certainly did but YMMV and we did tone them down a tad since then but they can still kick butt. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Maponus
So, by learning from this storyline - you could create a narrative driven campaign fought between two alliances?

You could absolutely do that and set it in a customized galaxy map with a custom tech tree, custom resources and components, though I can't comment on any specific possibilities.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Osito

Post by Osito »

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the update. I'm really looking forward to this expansion!

I have a very specific question, which I'd like to know the answer to, if you're able to give me the information.

Will it be possible to import a galaxy map from a game created in 1.9.0.13 to use as a starting point for creating a modded map in the expansion? Hope this question makes sense.

Thanks,

osito
Osito
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Icemania
I really hope the Shaktur Dominion are serious bad asses (e.g. like the Borg in Star Trek Armada 3) and this game is much more difficult. I want to get slaughtered in my first Universe game ...

Well, I certainly did but YMMV and we did tone them down a tad since then but they can still kick butt. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

I hope you have seen the Friendly Challenge thread and have kicking my butt in mind ...

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Well, for one thing, the physical version of Universe will also include the first full color printed manual for the DW series so that will be in the box. :-)

Well that settles it, gotta get the box set. I love having an actual manual I can hold in my hands. [:)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Dotdotdot

Post by Dotdotdot »

Allows adding/removing/changing most items: resources (including new colony-manufactured resources), ship components, planetary facilities and wonders, fighter designs, alien races and race families, diplomatic dialog, empire policy, custom characters, ship and base design templates, governments, plagues, research tech trees and more

So...how would the AI react if I ripped out the current the resource system and changed it along the following lines:
1. All resources from extractors are raw materials.
2. All raw materials need to be processed at colonies.
3. All components are made only by processed materials.

Further, can you set up multiple possible requirements for components and resources? Like [1 Caslon +1 Hydrogen = 1 Warp Fuel]/[3 Caslon = 1 Warp Fuel]
Would colony-produced resources require specific structures? Can those resources be produced by certain components?

Can you create tech trees with non-linear cost progressions? Let's say I create a tech unlocks a component plus a dozen or so minor techs that improve various facets of that component. Would those tweak techs each cost twice as much as the base tech?

Does the UI automatically expand/contract/whatever to accommodate the changes?
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

1 desert planet in the galaxy is the only planet that produces Caslon.I would like to see the A.I solve that issue.

In all seriousness I am looking at dumbing down aspects like the tech tree to make the A.I better.They take too long to get things like simple armour units produced.I am thinking a narrower tree like in Civ.

DrApostle

Post by DrApostle »

May I humbly suggest that you take a look at all of the folks who made mods up to this point and give them the update for free. And I hope that Haree78 has been helping you develop this expansion.
DevildogFF

Post by DevildogFF »

Yeah, getting the box. I want the manual. Very badly.
www.eXplorminate.co - 4X, Strategy, and Tactics
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

A few observations and questions, based primarily on the screenshots on the product page:

* The setup screen suggests that the new start time comes with empires firmly established and in alliances - is there an option to have pre-warp, etc. starting conditions?

* Are the new tech tree items available in all starts, or only the new timeline start?

* In the diplomacy screens, I see the name of an alliance is now included for races which have Mutual Defense Pacts - can we create these alliances in the course of a game, or are they hardwired?

* In the tech tree where it's showing Machine Intelligence, it says that the Sentient Computer Core wonder generates 5% towards victory for every year it remains operational. I don't have a question, I just want to applaud what is essentially a new victory condition that doesn't involve massive conquest! Hopefully the AI knows to go all out trying to destroy it once it's built!

* We demand more info about the new colony-manufactured resources! [:D]
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

ORIGINAL: DrApostle
May I humbly suggest that you take a look at all of the folks who made mods up to this point and give them the update for free. And I hope that Haree78 has been helping you develop this expansion.
At the end of Das's most recent Let's Play series, he mentions that Haree has access to the development version and already has a new Extended mod in preparation. I would imagine most of the modders have been given access, and that we'll see their new Universe mods arrive almost immediately after the game itself.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

ORIGINAL: Spidey
The biggest question for me, besides the obvious one of whether the AI can deal with modded changes, is whether we can change that damn tiny font. I'm sick and tired of 1366 by 768 but I just can't read the damn text if I use my monitor's native 1920 by 1080. Some appreciation of those with crap eyesight would be really nice. [:)]

We actually increased the font size in all the key problem areas during Shadows development as well as added the ability to scale the text part of the main display. Beyond that, there's not much more we can do until DW2.

Regards,

- Erik

The selection window in the lower left should have a scroll bar added, or should expand upward as messages are added.
When the colony has a couple status event lines, ie; recently raided + Resource shortages. Then the bottom parts of the window are lost off the bottom of the screen.

As for DW2, please please please add a font size selection or slider. @1920x1080 things often get VERY hard to read.
-Is that Weapon Tech at 66% or 88%, or is that 35%? Even with nose to screen it is sometime hard to tell.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

Thanks for the answer Erik! I look forward to the expansion!
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Ummm wow.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Deathball

Post by Deathball »

Reading this I'm actually surprised by the font complaints. I've never had any trouble reading anything and hope that any changes would be optional since I like having information compressed like that.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”