question concerning naval transport

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

HeroFromBavaria

question concerning naval transport

Post by HeroFromBavaria »

Hello to all rules expert out there! RAC for naval transport (11.4.5.) states that any cargo on a TRS will be unloaded at the end of its naval move if the TRS ends its move in a port. Let's say, an Russian army is being ferried by a TRS from Tallin to Hanko in a Combined action. MWiF prevents this Army from moving later in the same impulse (e.g. entering an empty Helsinki) . Why? (It doesnt't count as one of the precious land moves as it's not disembarking under the rules of 11.13 - OK. But what rule prohibits any further movement?)
joshuamnave

RE: question concerning naval transport

Post by joshuamnave »

None that I'm aware of, although I'm not a rules expert. I noticed this earlier today as well and believe it to be a new bug introduced in the latest patch. I didn't mention it because it's incredibly trivial compared to the bug that doesn't let you move any units at all.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

are the land unit disrupted ???

are the USSR at war with Finland ???
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

are the land unit disrupted ???

are the USSR at war with Finland ???

And can the unit invade (not all units can invade an enemy hex)?

If all those answers are "Yes", please put a saved game in here. Can you zip it and upload it in here?
Peter
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

as I read it it end the move in hanko, so it must be a Russian hex

I work hard, not smart.

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I've got it. If you move a loaded TRS directly into a port, it and the unit on it is disorganised. That's the rules.

If you disembark a unit from a TRS at sea during the disembarkment phase (which happens after land movement, so no further movement is allowed that impulse), you are allowed to move further in the next impulse because the unit disembarking isn't disorganised at that point.
Peter
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

I've got it. If you move a loaded TRS directly into a port, it and the unit on it is disorganised. That's the rules.

If you disembark a unit from a TRS at sea during the disembarkment phase (which happens after land movement, so no further movement is allowed that impulse), you are allowed to move further in the next impulse because the unit disembarking isn't disorganised at that point.

nope you are wrong, if you move directly from port to port, the cargo debark organized

I work hard, not smart.

michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

it is very important, that you post all information, when posting bug reports

I work hard, not smart.

joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

As I mentioned above, I've seen this in the latest patch as well. Moving port to port, the cargo stays organized but says that it has already moved this turn and thus, can't be moved again from its final port. I don't have a save file at the moment but if I play any this weekend I'll try to watch for it.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

As I mentioned above, I've seen this in the latest patch as well. Moving port to port, the cargo stays organized but says that it has already moved this turn and thus, can't be moved again from its final port. I don't have a save file at the moment but if I play any this weekend I'll try to watch for it.

I just navalmoved a French Corps from the Levant to Marseille (port to port) in a brand new GW scenario in Beta release 1.1.5.1, and it can be railed and moved away in the same combined impulse. I will let it stay in Marseille to try it out in the next impulse, but if this was a bug, the supply code must have an influence here - as that is the only thing Steve touched in this Beta. Are we sure it was not caused by something else? Was it already disorganizes or maybe it started at sea while you thought it started in a port? In the Hanko case - is there a war with Finland? Hanko normally becomes Russian after declaring peace. When Barbarossa starts, Hanko is the first Russian hex I will take back with the Finnish.
Zartacla - when you see this again, can you post a screenshot of the message, please. I have never seen such a message. In your case I would think it can be only supply related.
HeroOfBavaria - my peers react a bit stressy as we had a stressy week after the 1.1.5 release. Normally we are much more gentle.
We need a bit more info on this one to be able to help.
HeroFromBavaria

Fellow wargamers, thank You for Your replies! I'm sorry for not being more specific in the first place

I picked my example with a move from any Baltic port to a (still) Russian controlled Hanko as this might be sensible if the German player was careless and didn't take control of it in the impulse after aligning Finland.

Here's an screenshot after embarking. After loading the land unit, it is marked as partially moved:

Attachments
screen_1.jpg
screen_1.jpg (31.22 KiB) Viewed 164 times
HeroFromBavaria

Now, when the TRS somehow gets by the Kriegsmarine, the land unit is flagged as "Done movement". I couldn't find anything in the RAC (especially in section 11.4.5) that would prohibit the land unit from moving in the same impulse in the land movement phase.

Let me add that I'm still adopting to MWiF and FE, so I hope I'm not just wasting Your time. I used to play up until 5th Edition. 10-sided dice in WiF - amazing...

Cheers

Attachments
screen_2.jpg
screen_2.jpg (27.33 KiB) Viewed 164 times
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I think this is correct, since this is movement which took place in the naval movement phase. So during the naval movement phase, the CAV has moved and it gets "done movement" during that game phase.

If you now proceed further in the sequence of play, you will arrive in the land movement phase later. At that point, you should be able to move the CAV, since it than again should become "available to move". If not, there is something wrong (but I doubt it to be wrong, since I tested a similar situation and it seems to be OK).
Peter
HeroFromBavaria

Peter, I really appreciate You taking the time looking into this issue!

No, the CAV doesn't become available available during the land movement phase later on:

Attachments
screen_3.jpg
screen_3.jpg (36.03 KiB) Viewed 164 times
HeroFromBavaria

I've setup a game for You to specifically show this behaviour. What I've been able to see so far: The land unit is "stuck" if the non-phasing side could have intercepted the TRS during its move.

In my example, Germany has taken a Combined action. If ships move into the Baltic sea, any cargo ferried from Leningrad to Hanko by the Soviets can't move later in the same impulse. If the seas are clear, a land unit is able to move just as You described after having been transported.

But maybe it's still me who isn't using the UI correctly [&:] When there are no German ships in the Baltic sea, I can target Hanko directly as the intended destination of the Soviet TRS. If Germany could intercept, I can't select Hanko directly but have to position the TRS in the sea box and then continue moving.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Olaf

Attachments
bug_report.zip
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: HeroOfBavaria

I've setup a game for You to specifically show this behaviour. What I've been able to see so far: The land unit is "stuck" if the non-phasing side could have intercepted the TRS during its move.

In my example, Germany has taken a Combined action. If ships move into the Baltic sea, any cargo ferried from Leningrad to Hanko by the Soviets can't move later in the same impulse. If the seas are clear, a land unit is able to move just as You described after having been transported.

But maybe it's still me who isn't using the UI correctly [&:] When there are no German ships in the Baltic sea, I can target Hanko directly as the intended destination of the Soviet TRS. If Germany could intercept, I can't select Hanko directly but have to position the TRS in the sea box and then continue moving.

I can't unzip it without a password and keyfile. [&:]

Will have a look tomorrow if you can post a unlocked version.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: HeroOfBavaria

When there are no German ships in the Baltic sea, I can target Hanko directly as the intended destination of the Soviet TRS. If Germany could intercept, I can't select Hanko directly but have to position the TRS in the sea box and then continue moving.

I think that may be the issue. If you move directly the game handles it correctly. If you 'drop' the stack anywhere else, the game assumes it has 'moved' so it cannot move again. It seems like this is the way it should work, but whether that is correct or not I have no clue [:(]

If you are moving a naval stack that can be intercepted, use ctrl (or shift can't remember which) click on the target location and the program will let you move diredtly to the port. Then I think your land unit should be able to move. If it still does not, then that is a bug imho [:)]

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yes CTRL-click tells MWiF definitively you want to move to a specific sea zone. Otherwise MWiF tries to avoid confronting units that might intercept your naval move.
Paul
HeroFromBavaria

Sorry guys! I've attached a new version of the prepared example. Hope this works now...

I've been pressing CRTL, Shift, ALT and so on, but I'm not able to directly select a friendly port. The "bullseye" cursor is crossed and the tab tells me an interception is possible. I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could tell me what to do to get the transport with its load from Leningrad to any other friendly port [&:]

Cheers
Attachments
bug_report.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

There is a German ship at sea in the Baltic. This means you can't move directly from Leningrad to another port.

German ships can search and may find the USSR ships. You first have to move into the Baltic Sea (use ctrl left click to move the USSR fleet into the Baltic) and allow for a German search roll to take place (if Germany wants to intercept the USSR). If interception succeeds, naval combat may occur. If it fails, you can continue to move into a USSR controlled port...

Peter

Return to “Tech Support”