2.03a Update Feedback

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Clod100_slith

RE: 2.03a Update Feedback

Post by Clod100_slith »

Hi Guys! Thanks for the update! Makes more fun to play! But........... I can confirm that the AD-Missile Units are firing at tanks. First scenario of the Hell on wheels campaign: My chaparral unit fired twice at a Russian T80 company. But its a great game, I loved to play it. Just missing a hold fire or a SOP feature. Keep up your good work!
battlerbritain

Post by battlerbritain »

Just played a completely fresh 203a Brits Hells Crossroads and Rapiers are still engaging ground units.

I'll post a piccy.

Milan units are also still only engaging at 1 hex.

And the Fire Support dialog doesn't update when new support becomes available. I had to click on the unit on the map to get it to appear in the dialogue.
Attachments
Hellscross.._Rapiers.jpg
Hellscross.._Rapiers.jpg (108.45 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Somerset, Uk
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

I'm debating tweaking recon units not have any weapons. To be honest if your a recon platoon commander and are shooting at something, things have gone SERIOUSLY wrong.

-Jenrick
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

To clarify: helicopters do schedule an automatic resupply mission when they run out of ammo and will fly to within a few hexes of the main HQ to resupply. However, if you give a resupply order yourself, they will resupply in situ like all other units.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Flef

Post by Flef »

I got multiples "error violations" when I arrived to Hell on wheels' fifth mission.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Also: you can resupply when in position, without much of a negative effect currently, and your units will keep firing. Some sort of penalty might be needed. With tanks on a ridge, firing at Soviet tanks in the distance, it can be an effective way of keeping ammo levels up.

Most of the time, my tanks are on Hold or Screen, but Resupply can be useful if you expect to use a lot of ammo, also because the tanks will also target less important targets (like Gremlin teams instead of AFV's).

You could say the tanks are essentially sniping, and when not receiving return fire, could be resupplied in real life, but it would still be quite risky.

Single element units are less tricky to kill than before thus far by the way, which is nice.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Fled, can you send me the saved game file just before this occurred so I can see if I can duplicate? My email is crbelva@comcast.net

Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Jenrick, in many cases recon units will fight. Wait for 2.04. We will be working on some standoff and and engagement tweaks to recon and other units a bit smarter.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

ComradeP, we made a few adjustments to make units looking to resupply to be disengage from the fighting. Apparently not working in all cases. We'll look into the problem.

ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

As long as units are beyond minimum standoff range, they'll resupply normally, otherwise they'll move out of their hex. When they do so, they don't schedule a new resupply mission immediately as it seems to be treated as a regular automated hasty move as if the unit was on screen orders/took serious losses/scoots.

-

On an unrelated note, I'm now seeing explosions when no unit counter is displayed in the hex anymore from time to time. As in: a unit seems to die, and then I see another explosion. That is with direct fire, not artillery fire. It's like it lags slightly. I'll check what it kills in those instances.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

ORIGINAL: battlerbritain

I'm seeing Milan firing out to 2km in some scenarios, in some cases a little over 2km which is a little wonky but there were some reports (unconfirmed) that during the Falkland's war if the wire spool did run out the missile could under ideal conditions carry on with its last flight direction until either it hit something or ran out of propulsion fuel.

>02:09 2nd Section Atk Plt 1st Bn GG in 2720 engaging CHQ RC/175th Tank Regiment at range 2,188m.
>02:09 2nd Section Atk Plt 1st Bn GG claims 1 BRDM-2 [g] KIA in hex 3120
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
battlerbritain

Post by battlerbritain »

Well that's good.

I had my infantry Milan units in a town in both Screen and Hold stance and they wouldn't fire on targets in the open until they were within 1 hex.

Most of the time the infantry would just up sticks and run for it, even though they'd been on Hold for a few hours and were rated Veteran. Bit surprising that. All I wanted them to do was at least hang around for a little while and at least make a show of using the weapons they'd been given. [&:]

I have found the Soviets to now be very aggressive though, if almost suicidal. Not too sure about this new patch for that.

That's a question for CapnD: can we undo/rollback patches?
Somerset, Uk
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: battlerbritain

Are they in town?

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
battlerbritain

Post by battlerbritain »

Yes - in town.
Somerset, Uk
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

FWIW I've been replaying the tutorial scenario a few times with a focus on those Russian Hinds coming in. I know they're coming so I've tried several different tactics for deploying to meet them. I confess to not being a Hind expert but those bastards seem to be almost indestructable and exceptionally effective at killing vehicles in defensive positions. I've watched some engagements go back and forth, with the Hinds taking out one vehicle after another and AA counter-fire having no effect. I have in fact managed to shoot one or two down, but usually the Hinds kill several vehicles and then get bored and leave. Granted, the friendlies in this scenario are Brits and I confess to not having much expertise with their weapons and tactics either, but these Hind engagements just don't seem right to me. I had hoped that the latest patch and hotfix would have improved the situation; unfortunately, I'd say some more work is needed. Unless the Hinds really were that good and/or the Brits really were that bad? I haven't gotten to see how Apaches fare, so not sure if this is a generic issue or not, or may not even be an issue if these are really accurate and realistic results. But again it just doesn't seem right to me and it's bugging me. So, maybe reconsider things again and make a few more corrections as appropriate, or convince us that that these are acceptable results?

Other than that, I am enjoying the game. I'd also like to see those additional profiles and orders implemented, which will improve the game a lot.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Szilard

Post by Szilard »

I've seen the SAM engaging tanks thing - in this case an Avenger unit taking out some T-72's.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The expanded multi-orders with be in the next major release (2.1). We are having enough fun with the minor enhancements breaking things in the code (such as AD units shooting at tanks, which is not possible in the main combat routine, but I guessing we broke something somewhere else with the new AD range ring, #1 bug hunt for me tonight). WE will continue to improve some of the not working as really planned items like standoff scooting, urban "ambush" ranges, and unit resupply as we focus on the main 2.04 items that are Sudden Death and Fog of War improvements (consistent reports and information in the UI mainly).

So sorry for the new bugs and in some cases the odd play mechanics because it does take the playability down and we are very focused on bring a workable product to you guys (and gals, just to cover all bases).

Thanks.

ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

pzgndr: I'm seeing more vulnerable helicopters that can still go on a killing spree when not dealt with, but they're less dangerous than before in my scenario/campaign playthroughs thus far.

The veteran/elite Gepard and Shilka (and thus presumably the Tunguska) units can reliably shoot down helicopters when given some time. Tanks also seem more dangerous to helicopters than before.

Maybe it's a BAOR thing?
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Flef

Post by Flef »

ORIGINAL: cbelva

Fled, can you send me the saved game file just before this occurred so I can see if I can duplicate? My email is crbelva@comcast.net

done
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

AD units shooting at non air units is fixed and tested. Also uncovered a case were firing AD units were not being spotted correctly. This is now fixed as well for 2.04.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”