Keeper?

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
Toby42

Keeper?

Post by Toby42 »

I've been following the comments on this game. I'm getting interested enough that I'm about ready to pull the trigger! So what's the answer, is it a Keeper? It seems to be pretty bug free, and that is a plus!!
Tony
Michael T

RE: Keeper?

Post by Michael T »

It's in the beer and pretzels league. But I like it. However the series is going to have to go to Northern Europe and beyond pretty quickly to keep me interested. The Italian Campaign, though interesting is not going to have a huge amount of replay value.

But bare in mind these comments come from someone who has played nothing else other than WITE for the past 3 years. I am also looking seriously at DC Case Blue.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Well there is not a lot of positive feedback. I think that I'll wait until it's been out longer? I have too many titles that sit un-played on my hard drive!
Tony
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

It's a good game. But I think a little overpriced for what you get. If we had France 44 and Italy 43-44 in one package it would have been worth the price tag. But I feel the money spent does not equate to gaming value in this case.
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

I really didn't want to jump early at this one but I did because the ideas behind the game interested me. The map looks great to me and was one of the selling points for me. The UI is ok but it is somewhat unconventional in the way information is presented. I would like to see more information and I would like to be able to get to the information I need somewhat more efficiently but there are no huge deficiencies in regard to the UI. The AI could use some work but what AI couldn't? I think the game would be best PBEM. I am not sure I would call this a beer n' pretzels game at all. It has a sophisticated supply aspect to it which elevates it above games like Panzer General which was a BnP game for sure or even like Unity of Command which I like a lot. I am glad I bought it. It is not very polished but I expected it not to be because it is the work of one person. I hope it can be polished up and should be a favorite of mine if it is. There is a lot going on under the hood in the game and I would like the UI to show more of what's going on. As for price, well, who knows? Maybe I have more money than sense but I think it was a good purchase and I was happy to pay what the developer was asking. Hope this helps.
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

In addition regarding my post above I think the manual really needs some work. There are a lot of concepts in the game and some UI features which are not well explained or are confusing.
tombo

Post by tombo »

I also feel the game is overpriced for what you get. But i like the WEGO concept and want to support its continued growth.
Hopefully, Frank will add content, improve the UI and/or expand scope through updates. An editor would be good and other theaters to explore.

Frank's GoA game was V good and his support to it too, but even that game had allot more for the price. Its early yet, so lets see how it goes. The under the hood looks good and game is stable.

thanks Frank...keep up the good work!

cheers.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: tombo

I also feel the game is overpriced for what you get. But i like the WEGO concept and want to support its continued growth.
Hopefully, Frank will add content, improve the UI and/or expand scope through updates. An editor would be good and other theaters to explore.

Frank's GoA game was V good and his support to it too, but even that game had allot more for the price. Its early yet, so lets see how it goes. The under the hood looks good and game is stable.

thanks Frank...keep up the good work!

cheers.

+1 to everything!
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Well I don't want to sound negative. Part of the 'costs' include future development I am sure. So hopefully ultimately we will have a polished game and France 44 at least. I guess what I am saying is if those things don't happen it won't be worth the investment.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

I don't think that's negative...if a fast playing WEGO War-game system, like this, based upon supply and logistics doesn't expand, be it France, Burma, North Africa or wherever, I'll also be very disappointed. (but maybe it will!)

FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

If there isn't another game using the same engine I'll be disappointed too :)

Anyway, in all seriousness, there will be. 100% certain. Just not certain when it'll be done.

jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Anyway, in all seriousness, there will be. 100% certain. Just not certain when it'll be done.

Thank you...good to hear![:)]

Not trying to rush things;PFE just came out, but I keep thinking about the potential of this system in other theatres.

InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Don't Rush... some DLC with exotic Places like Yugoslavia '41, or the Isle Hopping in the Pacific...

One can Dream, Right.

Cheers Mr. Hunter from cloudy Germany
“If a man does his best, what else is there?”
― George S. Patton Jr.
Symple

Post by Symple »

Plays simply and cleanly.
Nice game.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

This is more than a beer and pretzels game, the smaller scenario of the Italian Front, with its lower number of units is deceptive. The need to plan ahead for combat supply and the uncertainty of the WEGO movement system, provides a more challenging and realistic game and although it seems simple to operate, it demands a lot of thought to be successful.

To paraphrase von Clausewitz : War is very simple, but in War the simplest things become very difficult, which is a perfect description of how this game works.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Well, I haven't read anything really bad about this title. My copy of SSG's Battles in Italy doesn't run real smooth on my new PC, so this afternoon you can count me in! I'll give it a try?
Tony

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”