I Took The Plunge!

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Auchinleck

I Took The Plunge!

Post by Auchinleck »

That's right! I'm one of you now. I'm making it hard on myself by diving right into a Global War without much reading of the manuals or watching the tutorials. Predictably as a result, there is much that I don't understand. Playing Solitaire, the game does a pretty good job of guiding you through each phase, but of course it does not explain how I should be doing things. I was anxious just to set up all the game pieces. Even though it probably shouldn't, the naval war has me completely bamboozled. When I jump to sections of the manual to find out about things I need to know about, it makes my head spin. I came from War In The Pacific Admirals Edition, which to me is a monster scaled micromanagement festival, that I had a pretty good handle on, to War In Flames, which is a monster amount of rules nightmare! My overwhelmed impression of WIF at this early stage, is that the game has more rules than all other games I've ever played combined! lol But seriously, I think that is probably part of the game's charm, and I think what would help me more than reading hundreds of pages of rules from the manuals, and watching 400+ minutes of listening to Steve talk, with my aversion to listening to anyone give a non interactive lecture about anything, for more than about 15 minutes, before my attention span is shot!, would be if I was to play enough of a game, with a veteran player who understands the game, that could explain what the game is waiting for the player to do, from phase to phase. That would be the best way for me to get up to speed in a hurry. I welcome varying opinions if you long time board game players of WIF think otherwise.
paulderynck

RE: I Took The Plunge!

Post by paulderynck »

We all have different learning styles. Some are auditory, some visual. Did you look at the picture and test tutorials or the interactive tutorials?

There's info near the bottom of the Main Form that explains what the game is doing in each phase.

My personal (success) experience with learning WiF was to do so with another Noob. You learn more from each other and you are likely to play at the same level, so the game is interesting for both players.
Paul
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

There is not way to get to 100% w/o spending some time on the matter. For beginners Steve's tutorials do a good job introducing all the basics. I'd suggest you start with tutorial 7 if you want to skip the part about tying laces. Next I would watch them on 1.5x-2x speed, frex youtube (cog symbol, speed dropdown). Not only cuts down the time, but also helped me not doze of while listening.

Then you can try to identify the tutorial that covers your general set of questions (like naval combat). WiF is different from WitP, as it has less emphasis on logistics and a minor degree of long time planning involved. Rule set is about the same in volume, only that you didn't saw much of WitP rules and the books are super-duper verbose and contain a good deal of opinion talk.

Next you could try to follow some of the AARs, some cover every step in detail and even comment actions taken. I don't think you will find someone going through the pain of trying a netplay game. Perhaps you find someone to give you an intro via skype with a screenshare.

GL
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Auchinleck

That's right! I'm one of you now. I'm making it hard on myself by diving right into a Global War without much reading of the manuals or watching the tutorials. Predictably as a result, there is much that I don't understand. Playing Solitaire, the game does a pretty good job of guiding you through each phase, but of course it does not explain how I should be doing things. I was anxious just to set up all the game pieces. Even though it probably shouldn't, the naval war has me completely bamboozled. When I jump to sections of the manual to find out about things I need to know about, it makes my head spin. I came from War In The Pacific Admirals Edition, which to me is a monster scaled micromanagement festival, that I had a pretty good handle on, to War In Flames, which is a monster amount of rules nightmare! My overwhelmed impression of WIF at this early stage, is that the game has more rules than all other games I've ever played combined! lol But seriously, I think that is probably part of the game's charm, and I think what would help me more than reading hundreds of pages of rules from the manuals, and watching 400+ minutes of listening to Steve talk, with my aversion to listening to anyone give a non interactive lecture about anything, for more than about 15 minutes, before my attention span is shot!, would be if I was to play enough of a game, with a veteran player who understands the game, that could explain what the game is waiting for the player to do, from phase to phase. That would be the best way for me to get up to speed in a hurry. I welcome varying opinions if you long time board game players of WIF think otherwise.
warspite1

Welcome aboard Auk [:)]

Personally I do not see how you can just "jump in" to the Global War scenario, but hey - whatever works for you!

If you got your head round WITP-AE then you have a head for the complex. The thing with MWIF (despite what anyone says) is that it is NOT intuitive and it is not a "built for computer" wargame - so you are not just tackling complexity. The rules - particularly the naval rules are unlike any war game I know. And yes, the sheer size of the rule book does betray what is an immensely rich, highly replayable and fun game.

If you are going to do it the way you said then I suspect there will be plenty of questions. So please just ask away.

Edit: As Dabrion says, forget net play for a while...

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

Welcome to MWIF, Auchinleck. [:)]

Edit: I learned the land system by just setting up Germany and Poland and then practice the conquest of Poland. You can do this by loading the fast start game included and then just move Germany and CW (who control the Polish units) and pass with all other nations. The goal for Germany is to capture Lodz and Warsaw during the first turn with minimal (preferably no) losses. The Polish goal is to force Germany to lose units and secondary to survive as long as possible.

Plenty of different ways to learn how to play this game.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

We all have different learning styles. Some are auditory, some visual. Did you look at the picture and test tutorials or the interactive tutorials?

There's info near the bottom of the Main Form that explains what the game is doing in each phase.

My personal (success) experience with learning WiF was to do so with another Noob. You learn more from each other and you are likely to play at the same level, so the game is interesting for both players.

Not a real good suggestion IMHO, paul tried that with me the noob, and I screwed his head up. He's never played well since [:D]

Good sugestion though, I really never read a rule other than the optional rules, I learned by osmosis over and over, of course it took me a whole year but I am retired nothing else to do [:(] The videos are excellent. Instead of trying to play the game through all it's moves and then turns. Try the same move over and over.

Example: I never really used air ground attacks much if at all, I like air ground support better. then one day I tried it and I liked it, of course I got a decent roll and I was able to disorganize 2 units in a hex. The next move I cut their supply off and that made them easy pickings for other units, did not do that for the first 3 months of testing, just a slow learner I guess. One of the few games ever made where experimenting could be fun.

Bo
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

The subforum WIF School was created for new players who have questions. You might want to browse the threads therein, especially if they are on topics you have questions about.

Use the Help buttons a lot if you are going to just jump right in. Every form has a Help button and many of the little panels on the Main form act as quasi-Help buttons when you click on them.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

And may I suggest you take the plunge by going first through Barbarossa and Guadalcanal. Those two scenario's are more easily to handle. I think you otherwise will drown in the deep pool of MWIF...
Peter
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

Hi Auchinleck,

Have never played WIF, board or computer versions, and having great fun learning as I go, doing just the same as you. Start Global war and see how things pan out. Did have some very helpful advice on a set up question (thanks to those who responded) but after many mistakes, restarts etc have thoroughly enjoyed experimenting with land, air, naval combat, sea transport, convoys and production. As a newbie, solitaire play is certainly of sufficient challenge and interest to keep me going for a fair while.
majordefeat

Post by majordefeat »

ORIGINAL: Auchinleck

Hello, happy gaming.

I played table-top WiF a long time ago. I think I would be completely lost in the computer game if I hadn't. I'd definitely wade through the video tutorials if I were you.

I haven't done so because I found them a little boring, but I think I would need to see the tutorials if I hadn't already had an exposure to WiF logic.

I'd definitely recommend playing barbarossa to start with. I think guadalcanal, although only a one map scenario, is actually not a beginner scenario because naval play is actually quite complicated. That said, as an introduction to naval play, a limited one map scenario would I suppose be easier to comprehend than trying to understand naval in amongst full war.

In barbarossa you can run small scale naval actions also. As a beginner, I would run some naval actions in barbarossa as a precursor to any forray into gualdalcanal.

If you have played other wargames before maybe this all becomes a bit unnecessary. The flow of the game will become apparent over time, so you can perhaps just run as many scenarios as you like, in whatever scale, and pick up WiF logic as you go.

Return to “World in Flames”