My take on the game

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
aaatoysandmore

RE: My take on the game

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: tigercub

in my game today a wounded hero took out a leader a squad with MG a and a Tank! yes hero`s are to powerful! all in 3 turns and won the game!

Audey Murphey isn't OP. Seems I recall he did more than that in a single day encounter.
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

Its not to say things like this should not happen (in my game today a wounded hero took out a leader a squad with MG a and a Tank! yes hero`s are to powerful! all in 3 turns and won the game!)and very much like to have Hero`s in the game WW2 was full of people changing the outcome of a battle! I have been reading about there story`s all my life it`s what got me into Wargaming! just don't want to see it in my 3rd battle of playing it!

Michael T don't let it put you off buying it, I think its a fine game for what it is but limited will be better from Modding!

Tigercub
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I am still considering it.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Michael T
in my game today a wounded hero took out a leader a squad with MG a and a Tank! yes hero`s are to powerful! all in 3 turns and won the game!

As a ASL player I was seriously considering this game. But stuff like this puts me off it.

Michael T...I also played ASL and on first impression I did not care for some aspects of LnL:HoS (too many potent Heros/ spotting rules). As I play more and more, I realize that you don't run units out in the open to draw fire, you MANEUVER half squads in cover as much as possible (think scouts) to find the enemy, but only after positioning firepower to take out that enemy unit that reveals itself (through fire or spotted movement)...and you keep a squad in proximity to take out any shaken squads that result from your out maneuvering your opponent. The Heros you take out ASAP, as though they were a MG asset to deny your enemy that firepower advantage. The game moves fast, ebb and flow is supreme, and it gives a feeling of battlefield confusion, with the outcome often in doubt until the final turn is over...and a good dose of luck is added from the dice rolls! I am very happy with this game. I hope you reconsider. [8D]
JRR
z1812

Post by z1812 »

I am still considering it.

I am concerned with spotting rules, the lack of area fire, dice rolls that seem to have more impact on the game than proper tactics and abundant heroes.

To me it would be a better game if the above were addressed. However it is a lot of fun to play.

If you can get by some of the issues and think of it as more a board game than a computer game you will probably like it.

In my younger days I played Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz, Squad Leader, and the solitaire Ambush squad level games. This reminds me of them and provides a similar type of play.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

I agree with you,probably the only thing to be corrected is the easy creation of Heroes.
tyrion22

Post by tyrion22 »

ORIGINAL: z1812
If you can get by some of the issues and think of it as more a board game than a computer game you will probably like it.

I think this is the right attitude. We finally have a computer game that is true to the board game it is based on. Enjoy the fact that you can learn it on the computer together with friends, then play the board game when you actually meet face to face, without having to explain the rules first. [:)] Or just enjoy the computer game.

It's really fun to try to come up with house rules, though. And who knows: If you come up with a good idea that many people like, maybe they can implement it as an optional rule. [:)]
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Well I am fairly convinced. I just need to convince my fellow ASL buddies to try it. I don't care for AI. I use it just to learn the ropes. I only play human v human. Is there anything in it like DYO (design your own)?
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Well I am fairly convinced. I just need to convince my fellow ASL buddies to try it. I don't care for AI. I use it just to learn the ropes. I only play human v human. Is there anything in it like DYO (design your own)?

There is an editor with documentation but without a tutorial. I find it difficult to understand and will be thankful when a tutorial is released.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

So would it be possible to build a very largish Stalingrad Scenario, something like the ones in Red Barricades?
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Is there a manual for this game available for potential buyers to read first?
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

I don't believe there is a manual for previewing.

Gerry
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

That is surprising.
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

People have suggested going to the LnL site to access data about the boardgame. So that would give you more information.

Gerry
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: z1812

There is an editor with documentation but without a tutorial. I find it difficult to understand and will be thankful when a tutorial is released.

There are already 3 ASL scenarios converted to Lnl by meroka37, and laska2k4 has augmented them with LnL versions of the ASL maps that are awesome. The artwork is very good in LnL. Check out the mod threads.
JRR
fran52

Post by fran52 »

To do a big scenario like Red Barricade seem a little difficult.The maximum map size is 45X25 with an option(not clear) of 65X65.The maximum number of units is 200 but is better to stay at 180.The 20 remainder must be fre for the creation of Heroes or crew during the play.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

It seems a shame not to have larger scale maps since the space on a PC screen is almost limitless [:)] That is one one big drawback for me is even the campaigns are just these little maps versus something like Red Barracides.

Maybe an expansion to gaive people larger sized scenerios is a good idea [:)] I would certainly pick it up [:D]
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Thanks to a kind soul I was able to read the manual before buying. Result: I have bought the game [:)]

FWIW I still play ASL.

I think most tactics I use in ASL will apply to HoS, just with some minor tweaks.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

HoS is similar in tactics but less complex in rules.
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

Red Barricades I did dream of playing it with this before buying this but its not to be! sad but true.

Tigercub
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”