My Suggestion compared with a Chinese PC game

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
Numdydar

RE: My Suggestion compared with a Chinese PC game

Post by Numdydar »

The Close Combat series models individual solders along with their mental state and capabilities. So it is even a smaller scale than this one.
tyrion22

Post by tyrion22 »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

The Close Combat series models individual solders along with their mental state and capabilities. So it is even a smaller scale than this one.

I would say it's about the same scale. I like Close Combat, but it's a completely different game. And I don't think it would work well as a turn-based game (certainly not as a board game).

Battle Academy is a turn-based game that keeps track of individual soldiers, but if someone likes that they could play, well, Battle Academy. Battle Academy also has quite discrete results, though. If a unit is suppressed, it is suppressed. The indiviual soldiers don't have individual mental states, like in Close Combat. I think most people who like turn-based games like it this way. If they like time to be divided into discrete chunks, they probably like combat results to be discrete too.
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee
zgxzz

Post by zgxzz »

Apples reduce fatigue?

Maybe yes I have to say.Maybe westerners can never understand in what situation Chinese soldiers were fighting and facing.
USA was already the most powerful country on the world from that time and have the most powerful air force on the world.China?Since year1840,the First Opium War(westerners may call that First Anglo-Chinese War)to 1949,China had experienced over 100years endless war on her own land.

Unimaginable huge gap of national power between China and the 16 countries in Korean at that time.But Chinese at that time can not stand by when 16 countries'troops were at the gate.

Even Chinese raised the whole country's resource to fight,but the powerful US air force blocked the only road can transport the supplies,terrain of Korean is too narrow and blocked by the US air force with thousands of planes.So you can imagine what supply can Chinese soldiers gain in the front.Front line soldiers often eat one potato which frozen stiff as a part of stone and drink some snow.they could not light a fire because it will bring tons of bombs from planes and artillery.During the battle of Triangle Hill,Chinese supply road to the front line on top of the hill was blocked,at night the headquarter sent 100 soldiers with a bag on their body filled with water and apples to supply the front,90soldiers die on the road blocked by artillery and heavy machine guns.
in some of the Chinese trenches,dozens of soldiers eat one or two apples together.due to lack of nutrition,many many Chinese soldiers contract a disease called mooneyed,they can not see anything during the night,USA's commanders said Chinese soldier like to
lead off attacks at night,yes,even in this situation,many soldiers can't see anything,they have to attack at night,because during daytime there are lots of planes in the air and Chinese soldiers also did not have enough ammo to fire as their opponent...In another battle,a company of Chinese soldiers ambush an USA force,but when the USA force pass their ambush zone,non of the Chinese soldiers stand up to attack,all of them froze to death already in battle array.Such things were very many during Korean war.

Compared with this, US air force even have the time and mood to transport millions of condoms from America to the front line.

So,this is a game made by Chinese,may a lot of westerners can never understand why an apple can be designed as can"reduce fatigue ".

I explained it,this is also a good way to communicate.More communication,less misunderstanding.Hope the politicians can often do like this.Hope wars far away form virtuous human beings.
tyrion22

Post by tyrion22 »

Supplies is important, for operational level games. I wouldn't want to see apples or any other food represented in a game at the same scale as Lock'n Load. I'm reminded of a scene in Saving Private Ryan: When planning an attack on a german MG position they drop all their equipment, except their weapons. The only important supplies to consider in a game at this scale would be ammunition, and it's fine by me to assume that they have enough ammunition for the short time scale the game represents.

This has nothing to do with differences between chinese and westerners in WWII, and is meant as no disrespect towards chinese soldiers fighting in WWII, but apples is not the thing you bring to a 10 minute long firefight, and it follows that apples have no place in Lock'n Load. To have an effect, any apples would have to be eaten before the scenario starts.
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”