Comparing to WITE

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Michael T

Comparing to WITE

Post by Michael T »

How does this game compare to WITE?

And what is the next title going to cover?

navwarcol

RE: Comparing to WITE

Post by navwarcol »

As to the first one... I have both, and like this one better. Not entirely sure if there is one reason for that, mostly perhaps because WITE, to me, pushed you to play historically as the Axis side, while not really pushing the other side to do it... I understood the reason for it, in WITE, but did not like the fact that you really had no choices. This game, encourages you to follow the historic pattern by the "High Command orders" which basically guide you along the path chosen historically, but you have the option, with some penalty in prestige points, to "draw your own plan" which is actually linked to the thing I like the most about this game, the independence of action, even if it comes with a price in-game. If High Command orders you to take Stalingrad, for example, by a specific date, then you either do it, and gain prestige points, or, you can "ask for more time" or, you can avoid it entirely. Following your own plan can have the effect of your being removed if your plans do not work, but if they do, you are not stuck by game code, as in WITE, where you are guaranteed that "High Command" makes, always, the same choices they did historically... you lose divisions throughout the game based on something that, in your "game universe" may not have even actually happened.
That said, the scale of this one is operational, and I somewhat like the WITE scale better, if they could just deal with their issues.

On the second part of your question, I am curious as well. I bought the first two together a few weeks ago, and really love the design, the card options, etc. I really look forward to what he does next.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Thanks for your take. I almost got a copy but its dead around here so decided againts it. I will check out DC3 and might take it up. But the scale of 30 miles per hex is not ideal IMO. 20 miles would have been nice.
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

I see your point about the dead forums here. Personally, I would not let that dissuade me, but I can understand that it might. I don't really understand why people do not realize that, and why the forum here is not more alive for a really good game.
wodin

Post by wodin »

It's easy my No1 Operational scale wargame.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

This is a really good game, and the editor is awesome, if a tad difficult to learn. Nothing is hard-coded and there are no limits.

I think that the main reason Vic's games don't attract the grog crowd are the cartoonish graphics, which is a bit silly really, and of course everything is moddable any way.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”