Support for Windows XP ends soon

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

KG Erwin

Support for Windows XP ends soon

Post by KG Erwin »

To be exact, it will end on April 8. I'm still one of the holdouts for upgrading my operating system, as most of my games are older. I hope there will be at least another round of XP updates before the cycle ends.

Now, my work PC uses Win 7, which is fine, but since one of my favorite games is SPWaW, I don't know if I'm willing to jump through the various hoops to get it to work on my home PC.
uncc

RE: Support for Windows XP ends soon

Post by uncc »

Hi KG, well there are some alternatives. [:)]

You could buy Windows 7 Professional which includes an XP Mode (no Win XP license required) that should allow to keep playing some, if not most, of your older games.

If you pick up just Windows 7 Home, then you could download a free virtual PC program (Oracles VirtualBox, Windows Virtual PC, others?) and use your Windows XP license to load Windows XP on the Virtual PC and again, keep playing some, if not most, of your older games.

Even Windows 8 may be an option, but since I've absolutely no experience with it, I can't say.

If you keep on using Windows XP after Microsoft abandons it, then you'll be risking the viruses, malware, etc. [&:]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I still have my XP computer as well as my Windows 98 PC, my Windows 95 PC, my Windows Vista PC, and my DOS 486 PC. All but the last are currently working (I really should fix it as it is the only PC I currently own that has both a 3.5" and a 5.25" floppy drive). Most of the time I use my Windows 7 PC and there are very few Windows games that won't run on it. I even run a number of DOS games on it using DOSBox.

If I were you, KG, I would backup my Windows XP computer on a flash drive prior to April 8th. Then if something went wrong like a bad virus or hard drive failure you could just restore the files you backed up onto a clean hard drive.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

If you keep on using Windows XP after Microsoft abandons it, then you'll be risking the viruses, malware, etc. [&:]

That's if you go online with it. I've got a separate computer with XP that never goes online. Plays all my old DOS games on it and that's all I care about on that particular computer. Anything I want that is online I can download to a flash drive. Check it for viruses or malware and then port it over to the XP. No biggie really.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I still have my XP computer as well as my Windows 98 PC, my Windows 95 PC, my Windows Vista PC, and my DOS 486 PC. All but the last are currently working (I really should fix it as it is the only PC I currently own that has both a 3.5" and a 5.25" floppy drive). Most of the time I use my Windows 7 PC and there are very few Windows games that won't run on it. I even run a number of DOS games on it using DOSBox.

If I were you, KG, I would backup my Windows XP computer on a flash drive prior to April 8th. Then if something went wrong like a bad virus or hard drive failure you could just restore the files you backed up onto a clean hard drive.

You have 6 PC's (5 working)...that's fantastic! [X(] I would like to see a picture of your computer office or work room. I'm sure many here would like to see it too! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Erwin, an advice.

If you just want XP for a few concrete games I would do this (in fact I do it myself, I mean, you're not my Guinea Pig [:D]).

Format XP, reinstall it and -really important- do NOT install anything. You have to have a fresh XP (the inevitable corruption thing). Do NOT install any update either.

Then install SPWaW. If it works, everything worked as per the plan. If it doesn't and is asking for a concrete programme, install that one. But remember, just install the bare minimum.

If you get to this point, remember, NO updates, almost NO internet either (use your other computer).

That's what Linux teaches you: a spartan, minimum OS. Many sh*t on the cyber space waiting to be installed on a Windows OS. They are not proper virus but sooner or later they will inevitably screw your OS (ergo they are virus on my book)
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
faraon

Post by faraon »

Who still struggle with this OS..
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: wings7

You have 6 PC's (5 working)...that's fantastic! [X(] I would like to see a picture of your computer office or work room. I'm sure many here would like to see it too! [:)]

Patrick

I wish I had a room large enough to contain all my PCs. As it there are PCs in the living room and my bedroom, but most of them and the games for them are in a cabin in back of my house.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Patrick

I wish I had a room large enough to contain all my PCs. As it there are PCs in the living room and my bedroom, but most of them and the games for them are in a cabin in back of my house.

Won't all your PC's and games fit in your cabin? That would be nice.

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Patrick

I'm in the same boat now, with 4 commodore 64's, 2 amiga 500's, a 486sx25 in the closet, a vista 64 on my desktop along side a win 7 setup with win 8 downloaded but not installed (hate that os) A windows XP on the floor, a netbook XP on the dresser and about 1000 computer games for them all I have no room to keep them all in one room anymore. I pretty much just use the Vista 64, the Win 7 and the Netbook with XP anymore. Good to have backup though if one of them goes out.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

For what it's worth I have absolutely no problems running WinSPWW2 on Windows 7
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I have no problems running it in DOSBOX. Don't know what all the flack is about with SPW@W

Return to “General Discussion”