Wild Sheep Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

witpqs

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by witpqs »

Just read Joc's 'game over' announcement.

Congratulations on a fantastic contest! My sentiments echo princep's comments.

Way to go! [8D]
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Can't say i'm happy to see this game over... but Erik, you've played a great game and written the best AAR ever in this forum!
I can just say that we all thank both you and Joc for this game and these two mirror AARs... [&o]

Now get out, live London, find easy chicks... oh, no, sorry, you are engaged...[:D]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Thankyou...great game...lost many an hour following your adventures. Great job.

FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Great game and thanks again for doing the AAR!
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Great Game Erik!

Thanks for all the great reads!

Pax
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

Well played and thank you for a great AAR. It isn't often that you can read parallell AARs of such high quality! [:)]
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

Congrats for taking it this far!!
jonreb31

Post by jonreb31 »

Well done Obvert for taking a Japanese game so far. I've currently got a Scenario 1 running as well and your play has given me a lot of ideas to keep the Allies sweating even into 1945. Hope to see you do another one!
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

obvert

Post by obvert »

Hey guys, just back from a night out eating an amazing Indian dinner in London. In a strange way, although I was celebrating a friend's birthday, I felt I had something to celebrate too. it has been a long road. At drinks before I told my lady the game was over and she came over and gave a big kiss. She's also been through the whole thing with me, the highs and lows. Several years of our lives.

I'l be continuing to update with lots of final info tomorrow. Tonight I'll have a final scotch and sit back, relax, and try to imagine what it'll be like not to wake up with a turn from Jocke in my box.

A massive thanks to Jocke, a great partner in this journey, and in spite of all of our occasional outbursts, I'd say a good friend.

More in the morning. Thanks all for your contributions. Couldn't have gotten here without you all! [&o][&o][&o]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

Congrats on playing through to an end.

I very much look forward to an assessment of what you would do differently if anything.

One thing I have been biting my tongue about is fog of war. Sometimes reading both sides, it was almost like you were reporting different battles entirely.
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

Congrats on playing through to an end.

I very much look forward to an assessment of what you would do differently if anything.

One thing I have been biting my tongue about is fog of war. Sometimes reading both sides, it was almost like you were reporting different battles entirely.

This is one of the reasons I always try to put in an annotated set of CR. I know it's a lot some turns, and can detract from the larger picture stuff s well as the ease of reading an AAR, but from other games where I saw that difference, I always wanted to see some of the results. FOW is still in them, but at least it leaves the reader with some data to ponder rather than jus a description. It also made me pay more attention to details, which isn't my strong point!

Thanks for the note. I'll be doing some catch-up today, and trying to sort it all out. Some tracker stuff should be up soon.

We'll also re-run the last turn with BBs on flank speed to see if they get to Moppo. Could be fun to watch.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Since I was in Jocke's AAR from the beginning, I stayed out of yours until you got near the end of '44. It was great to see what was possible as Japan, especially with your NFs. Your AAR will change the strategy of how Allied players use their B-29s and what targets to select for strategic bombing.

While players love to see the sinking of CAs and BBs, the steady loss of your DD fleet hurt you by the end. Hopefully, that will happen with Olorin (Nick) in our game (March '44).

Thanks for your efforts to provide so much insight to your play. I will try to apply the lessons learned here rather than relearn them the hard way. [:D]

KUDOS!! [&o][&o]
[center]Image[/center]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Peekaboo! [:D]

I have just skimmed the last page. Cool to see how FOW works. That B29 raid you were fuming about low allied losses...Can´t remember the exact number but I think I did loose 22 B29s in that raid. Most of the losses were write offs after the landing! And I didn´t see 50+ NFs but rather 20 or so. [:)]
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Peekaboo! [:D]

I have just skimmed the last page. Cool to see how FOW works. That B29 raid you were fuming about low allied losses...Can´t remember the exact number but I think I did loose 22 B29s in that raid. Most of the losses were write offs after the landing! And I didn´t see 50+ NFs but rather 20 or so. [:)]

So interesting!!

Yeah, a lot of NFs downed. I still had a bunch in the pool though of the A6M and the Frances NF especially. I'll post numbers soon.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Yeah, I have to see your plane pools. The airwar has been...depressing from the Allied POV.
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]ECONOMY[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a last look at the tracker economy pages. Supply is dire, but some fuel is still being used for HI in Tokyo and Osaka that has been siphoned out of other small bases that held it. It's been providing an extra 3k+ a turn lately, and helped upgrade and replenish a bunch of air groups.

Still plenty of HI left! Enough to run flat out for another year at current levels!

Attachments
INDUSTRY745.jpg
INDUSTRY745.jpg (752.15 KiB) Viewed 127 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]POOLS - FIGHTER-FB-NF[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Although the recent bombing of many airframe factories lowered production dramatically, pools are enough to likely keep fighting for a few months at full strength. Quite a few Oscars left too, and I've been downgrading a few groups to use large pools.

Not many FB left at all. I would have built more, but they're only marginally effective anyway. Even the Randy hasn't been too great since arriving.

Enough NF pools to keep going for a few months, and the Frances and A6M still producing at a decent clip.

Attachments
FFBNFPOOLS.jpg
FFBNFPOOLS.jpg (952.48 KiB) Viewed 127 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]POOLS - MB-LB-R[/font]

Enough of these are around, but it's tough to use the 2E especially as the supply prohibits it in most of the bases close to the Allied forces. Most of the LB are very early models or bi-planes. Doing it again I'd build a lot more Tsurugi and Myoko for use in the training/kami groups.

Although it's late and I would allocate the resources to it that I did i the future (a 30 plane R n D factory) the Ki-95 is far and away the best recon of the war for the Japanese. A camera, 40k+ altitude and 400+ speed make it ideal to use high above CAP and still get a view of things.

Attachments
MBLBRPOOLS.jpg
MBLBRPOOLS.jpg (765.45 KiB) Viewed 127 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]POOLS - DB-TB[/font]

Quite a few left, but the Graces are always in need. The best naval strike plane of the war, period.

Attachments
DBTBPOOLS.jpg
DBTBPOOLS.jpg (454.7 KiB) Viewed 127 times

Return to “After Action Reports”