Desperate Battles

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

Tac2i

Desperate Battles

Post by Tac2i »

Every now and then you get in an epic struggle with the AI. I rarely lose cities to the AI but in this particular game it has happened several times. It started off with my regime and 2 AI regimes attacking a third AI regime. Things were going well until the other two AI regimes declared war on me. Now it is "desperate battles!"

Attachments
battles.jpg
battles.jpg (231.93 KiB) Viewed 267 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Josh

RE: Desperate Battles

Post by Josh »

Nice [:D]

What's the AI level?
In my last game vs the AI I've beaten 2 AI regimes so far, but the third...oh my, lots and lots of well balanced Inf units consisting of Inf and AT/Inf guns, plus loads of Artillery and Flak...a real challenge I tell you that.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

@Josh: standard AI

Attachments
morebattles.jpg
morebattles.jpg (299.01 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

One army that has done well... My armies, which are armor heavy due to the loss of cities, have perpetually been short of oil and somewhat ore. That is slowing changing. This has been a great game vs the AI.

Correction: sweeping away remnants of Arab armies.

Attachments
newfront.jpg
newfront.jpg (350.86 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Several turns later the tide of battle has swung in my favor. The Anglo capital has fallen and their armies are shattered. The French line has been breached in a couple of areas. I've captured enough oil hexes that my armored forces are now able to operate in larger numbers. The end is in sight.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
lecrop

Post by lecrop »

Nice report thank you!

Is interesting to see an AI doing things right...
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Several turns later the tide of battle has swung in my favor. The Anglo capital has fallen and their armies are shattered. The French line has been breached in a couple of areas. I've captured enough oil hexes that my armored forces are now able to operate in larger numbers. The end is in sight.

I knew that would happen. The AI acts somewhat like an anthill. When you poke it with a stick you see a few ants, you poke it some more and then *boom* all of a sudden a zillion ants all over the place. The AI acts the same way, it spots you and throws anything it has at you, in waves. And when you finally think you can't take it no more...that's about the time you've broken its neck. So after surviving the AI's initial onslaught you ... probably... are safe.
Kaldadarnes

Post by Kaldadarnes »

Do not underestimate the AI!

In tandem to the game I’m slowly writing up, I’ve had another one on the go against an AI+. I have just surrendered. After 4 years of struggle my front line has been broken into 2 and enemy armour is roaming my rear areas. To save needless loss of life the white flag was raised. I just couldn’t see a way to victory. However, and this is why it is so hard to take:

In the 4 years of the game I had inflicted losses in the following ratios:

Infantry 5:1
Armour 8:1
Artillery 6:1
Air units 2:1
Support 4:1

Of 2 capitals and 10 cities, I controlled 8 cities and my own capital. I controlled the bulk of the map in territory terms, but the numbers the AI could put in the field were simply overwhelming, the production advantages just ramp up and up! A warning to any player – AI+ is hard, and the rushes just keep coming… (Also, I hear there is an AI++ setting?? How, why, what?)

This is what makes ATG so compelling and fun - you can and will lose...but the eventual victory all the sweeter for it!

Omnia Videmus
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Kaldadarnes

Do not underestimate the AI!

In tandem to the game I’m slowly writing up, I’ve had another one on the go against an AI+. I have just surrendered. After 4 years of struggle my front line has been broken into 2 and enemy armour is roaming my rear areas. To save needless loss of life the white flag was raised. I just couldn’t see a way to victory. However, and this is why it is so hard to take:

In the 4 years of the game I had inflicted losses in the following ratios:

Infantry 5:1
Armour 8:1
Artillery 6:1
Air units 2:1
Support 4:1

Of 2 capitals and 10 cities, I controlled 8 cities and my own capital. I controlled the bulk of the map in territory terms, but the numbers the AI could put in the field were simply overwhelming, the production advantages just ramp up and up! A warning to any player – AI+ is hard, and the rushes just keep coming… (Also, I hear there is an AI++ setting?? How, why, what?)

This is what makes ATG so compelling and fun - you can and will lose...but the eventual victory all the sweeter for it!

And still you lost, clearly you suck.

[;)]

Just kidding. Totally agree with you, AI+ can be a serious challenge. I sometimes play against AI+ and have to fight over each and every hex, it's a *&@%$@@ damn slugfest. A serious challenge even for seasoned players. Once or twice I played against AI++.... now that was fun, after barely having researched Light Tanks II the AI shows up with Heavy Tanks II LOL it was brutal. [:D]
Kaldadarnes

Post by Kaldadarnes »

@Josh - AI++ sounds tough! On reflection I've concluded that against the higher levels of the AI industrial strategy is key, gotta get those factories, mines and wells up and producing so you can get some kind of force parity.

As to your other comment, yeah I don't "suck", I have "learning opportunities" [;)]
Omnia Videmus

Return to “After Action Reports”