First Campaign - Fun!

QVADRIGA is a tactical game of chariot racing in ancient Roman circuses, where you take control of a four horse chariot team.
Ron

First Campaign - Fun!

Post by Ron »

Like many here, picked this up on a whim because it looked fun and ended up putting in an all-nighter as my team progressed to compete (and win) in the Circus Maximus. This is the most fun I have had with a game in recent years, high praise. I had a few ups and downs along the way, some financial woes etc and had to call on the Gods more than once to resurrect a fallen Auriga. I competed in 109 races, finished first 41 times, accumulated over 260000 denari at one point, and had a final score of 283. (I can't take a screenshot for some reason) Now I am going to try the campaign again on Epic difficulty with the lessons learned. :)

1. I initially preferred the acceleration and speed upgrades only for my chariot/horse teams. This combined with the Auriga cornering skill made for a winning combination. Later I added one quality upgrade to the chariot (helps a lot to avoid having your chariot fall apart all the time) and the endurance upgrades to the horses.

2. Corresponding with the above, I preferred more open, long race tracks and avoided the short, narrow ones which may be better suited to an offensive/heavier chariot philosophy.

3. If your Auriga has any initial advantage, bet heavy and you can get a big payoff.

4. If circumstances are clearly not in your favour and you are unable to compete for the podium, it is best to simply finish the race without damaging the team. You get some money and will not have to pay to put things back together again.

5. Whip and whip often. If you want to win, you will need to spill some blood. Contrary to the manual, and unless I am way far ahead, I will whip every straight stretch at least once.

6. The AI auriga's are a mix of very good and very poor. You can learn a lot from how they compete. I know I learned a couple interesting things on how to take corners aggressively, something to keep in your back pocket when needed. Always protect yourself when adjacent or surrounded by the AI aurigas. Probably because I preferred the lighter, faster chariots, I was always a target of crashing and lacerations.

7. Auriga upgrades seem to occur very infrequently. I only kept one initial auriga and it took almost until the end before he got his third upgrade. I did not see one with 4 upgrades. I hired a few with two upgrades and even then only one got a third.

Now back to the races!
wodin

RE: First Campaign - Fun!

Post by wodin »

This isn't a game where doing a set thing and following a certain upgrade path means you always win is it?
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: wodin

This isn't a game where doing a set thing and following a certain upgrade path means you always win is it?

No, you must adjust to conditions every race. What worked one race might not the next. Rons' tips are just that, they don't
guarantee a win.
wodin

Post by wodin »

OK sounds great.
Ron

Post by Ron »

As vonRocko said, every race is different and you will need to adjust as necessary. For example, there are random starting conditions which may explicitly help or hurt, or others that have to be taken into account, ie bumpy track, nasty audience etc. The different tracks require a slightly different approach. Even with all things equal there is a randomness to how your teams accelerate, so better quality may start behind a 'slower' team and get caught up in the pack. Part of the fun is dealing with the different setups, conditions, opponents etc. There is nothing like starting behind and working your way up to compete for the lead!
jack54

Post by jack54 »

I've had several 4 and 6 competitor races and all of a sudden a race comes up with 12...on the same track. It was a Roman track which mean a 'free-for-all' at the start just to get into a lane. Shear madness--
carts banging into each other; several guys died in this one.

Edit; I'm getting consistent 12 team races so I may have confused the tracks but it's still madness... last event was 'unclean track' so dead horse and broken Quadriga obstacles all over the place!
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Niessuh

Post by Niessuh »

in "roman" style circuses, you could randomly compete against the same teams than lanes or 50% more team than lanes
in "greek" style circuses, opponents number are the same as lines or double! (second line)

I'm glad to read about finished campaigns!
Daniel López
Creator of Qvadriga and Mare Nostrvm
Ron

Post by Ron »

Well 32 races into a new Epic campaign starting in Africa with 18 wins, 3 x 2nd place, 8 x finished and 5 x eliminated, so lessons learned have definitely paid off. There was still a financial sticking point transitioning between the Cat II-III cities, but the team weathered the storm. I have made a point of racing in all of the cities to experience some of the different tracks.

Not being able to bring back your Auriga is tough, already lost two, with one being the leader at the time. Losing the leader was really stupid. I had 'won' a tough race coming down the home stretch after getting beat up at the start and fending off an aggressive rival most of the way. A simple mis-click on ensure stability instead of switching lanes to block said rival resulted in him coming up behind me and lacerating my auriga to death literally meters from the finish line. That got a 'for f*** sakes' out of me and a visit from the wife to see what was wrong. :o) Shocked and sheepish, it was time to call it a night.

Anyways I have a couple comments/questions. If I lose my race leaders and no longer have anyone with 'victories', do I also lose any of the fame the team has acquired? I would like to think so, but the expendable nature of Aurigas suggests not. I also came across an Auriga with two skills and a constitution; not having got that last campaign until close to the end, I immediately sold what I needed to hire him. Now I have an 'Ace' and will start running with him. To me this kind of lessens the RPG elements of the aurigas. As a suggestion for the future, I think this aspect of the game could be fleshed out a lot.

Still great fun, and thanks to the developer!
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Hi there -- I think I agree about developing the rpg aspect. I'd like to see the aurigas with a bit more personality and maybe some interpersonal rivalries/dynamics. The game is really addictive and I think that, with a bit more development & maybe modding opened up, could turn into a massive game. Would be great to export your star auriga, or save & upload particular races. Put it this way -- I was happily playing Sega's "Football Manager 2014" until this game appeared!
Niessuh

Post by Niessuh »

ORIGINAL: Ron
If I lose my race leaders and no longer have anyone with 'victories', do I also lose any of the fame the team has acquired? I would like to think so, but the expendable nature of Aurigas suggests not.

That is correct, team fame level never goes down, It depends on winnings only
Daniel López
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

So, Mr. López, are you not interested in beefing up the RPG elements of this game, as mentioned in this thread, and quite a few times throughout this forum?

You answered one question, but did not touch on the suggestions at all. I have to agree with Javolenus, Ron and many others, this game is quite fun, but really needs some more detail to the RPG style team management aspect.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: jglazier
...this game is quite fun, but really needs some more detail to the RPG style team management aspect.

+100
Niessuh

Post by Niessuh »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

So, Mr. López, are you not interested in beefing up the RPG elements of this game, as mentioned in this thread, and quite a few times throughout this forum?

You answered one question, but did not touch on the suggestions at all. I have to agree with Javolenus, Ron and many others, this game is quite fun, but really needs some more detail to the RPG style team management aspect.

I assure you I am having in mind these requests for more RPG elements, statistics and aurigas' log, but considering all these systems will be a long term task, we are now focused on the preparation of a future patch with the fixes and improvements that can be made shortly ...
Daniel López
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

the variablity of the race size and also the interesting events make each race different - playing on a track with 9 or more competitors will often see alot of destruction in the first lap if they get too close to each other - its terrible if you get stuck in the middle of that and on a turn. - everything can still change in the later laps too - (races seem to be no more than 3 laps ) with new variables turning up

I like this games ai - the other players have character to them, the way they will make wise and unwise risky decisions, or will be wary of attacks or might steal my whip or decide to block my path very deliberately. - and they will do all this amongst themselves too.

The events are interesting - noticed one was that two of the other competitors had a pre-race brawl and so will be i presume trying to take each other out on the track -makes me wonder if there is an event where another player has me in their sights.

Return to “QVADRIGA”