On the Fence Question

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Stardog765

On the Fence Question

Post by Stardog765 »

Good afternoon all.
I just wanted to ask a question before I make my final decision on buying this game.
It looks great with so much potential and I am really wanting it for being able to simulate current events along with old cold war scenarios.

My question is I have seen talk about there being a future robust land warfare element to this game. I am certainly not looking for any kind of promise from the developer as I am realistic and know things change but I just wanted to if this is a serious plan and something that is likely to happen or just something the devs would have liked to have had but ultimately probably never happen.

That would be so amazing so its something I really would like to know before dropping $100 on the game, which in all honesty I will likely do anyway but I still want to know :)

Thanks ahead of time!

charlesmc

RE: On the Fence Question

Post by charlesmc »

There is an incredible amount of value in this game/simulation as it stands. As just one example, I've spent the last three nights fighting a huge air/naval battle against Libya (Operation Folgore) and it's going to be one of those gaming experiences that just sticks with you. Subs, ships, aircraft, missiles flying, Tornadoes going in low for runway denial missions, SEAD missions, ASW missions, Tanker tracks, CAP zones, AWACS tracks, etc. Oh crap, I have naval targets, which resources can I use to hit them? Do I take down some of my CAP to address this? What - a pop-up target of opportunity? Who's got GBUs or mavericks loaded that I can divert to deal with it. I've got approximately a 60 to 5 shoot down ratio between Libyan MIGs / Mirages and Italian Typhoons / Tornadoes, yet all five of my losses stick in my craw.

This will be a game/sim that I'll be playing for the next 5-10 years.

Get in now and if an update for expanded land war comes along, it will just be gravy.

My two cents.
Stardog765

Post by Stardog765 »

Haha well its a good thing your not a bridge salesman because I would probably buy one from you! That sounds great!
If I have read correctly there are ground insertions now though right? Like limited small spec ops teams. SEALS etc.?
Or did I misunderstand that?
If there is at least that aspect of it that goes a long way in terms of being able to model modern current events and a big selling point for me.

thank you very much for the thoughts on the game so far. It sounds great and I am sure once I move some "assets" around in my asset management system(bank) I will go ahead and make the purchase. :)

charlesmc

Post by charlesmc »

Yes - although I don't have a lot of experience with that in the game as I mainly focus on ships and aircraft, just a quick instance where I was playing with spec ops in the mountains of Venezuela I believe. I'll leave it to others to specifically comment.
dandin384

Post by dandin384 »

ORIGINAL: Stardog765

If I have read correctly there are ground insertions now though right? Like limited small spec ops teams. SEALS etc.?

There are quite a bit of ground units, not just spec ops teams in the game right now. They are mainly used for targets, and although you can fight land battles units do things like drive over cliffs and across huge rivers. I agree with charlesmc though, any land combat would just make an already excellent game that much better. I speak in all honesty when I say this is the smartest game purchase I've ever made.
Stardog765

Post by Stardog765 »

Great thank you!
Stevechase

Post by Stevechase »

I think that is a good question for the devs to answer. As I am sure there are others weighing this decision as well. I know that it has been considered by the devs though I can not say what their position is on this. I too would like to see it implemented, but also understand it would be a major undertaking. Regardless this sim rules as it is.
lowchi

Post by lowchi »

the devs said in several threads that a more complex land combat model will be implemented further down the road:

just an example from the interview with grogheads:
http://grogheads.com/?p=3965
As an example, it was a real bummer when we realized we would not be able to fit a full-fledged land combat engine (think Steel Panthers or Armored Brigade fidelity) in the game in time for the dev & release schedule we were working with. This is definitely something we want to address in the future and you’ll probably see a lot more of it as we move ahead.

be patient and enyoy a allready brilliant game/simulation, wich is also updated and given more features regulary [:)]

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”