Arma 3

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

goodwoodrw

Arma 3

Post by goodwoodrw »

I am looking for a 1st shooter, is there any opinions on ARMA 3, or any other 1st person shooter.
Formerly Goodwood

Twotribes

RE: Arma 3

Post by Twotribes »

Sorry no help I do not have the eye hand coordination nor can I keep up with all the special commands of first person shooters.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

It's the next step up from ArmA2, which I regularly enjoy. I've had the series going back to Operation Flashpoint. I spend plenty of time converting our favorite OFP missions to ArmA2.

3 is a bit different as it's set about 20 years in the future. Lots of equipment and vehicles are "different".

This isn't your typical run-n-gun shooter. This is more in the area of a sim. One hit will usually drop you quickly, sometimes leaving you unable to anything but thrash around in pain on the ground.

You do have a whole world to explore. The maps range from 10 x 10 km to 20 x 20 km, and you can travel anywhere within them. ArmA3 has made every building usable, which wasn't the case before. That and being able to interact with other players, whether on foot, in a tank or from the air is a great appeal to me.

I'm not sure how to rate the AI on 3 yet. The AI from ArmA to ArmA2 took a great leap forward. Playing the exact same missions on both, it became apparent quickly. Former cake-walks became impossible on 2. In other missions, hard missions became easier on 2, just due to the fact that visible range has increased over the series.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

My biggest gripe with the Arma series has always been the AI. One of the great things about Arma 2 was the sandbox mode where you could make all towns on map capturable and have the AI handle most if not all squads on all teams. My brother and I tried many times to get a good war going but we always ran into the same problem.

It happened in every game and every map we tried, as the world became more populated with soldiers, the AI would just stop working and the OPFOR would stand around and not shoot any longer. Really broke what could have been the best shooter ever made. I assume Arma 3 will have similar AI issues as it appears to focus mainly on multiplayer.

Jim
Josh

Post by Josh »

As above ARMA III is a military sim and high on my to-buy list (once I have a new rig)
PLayed ARMA II and it could be frustrating at times.

For a humongous load of fun I'd recommend Fall Out 3 or Fall Out 3; New Vegas and its DLC's. New Vegas is better IMHO because better guns [:D]no seriously New Vegas is an awesome game.
Then there is the sequel Wasteland 2...much like the original Fall Out and Wasteland a hundred years ago or so, it's a topdown isometric pausable game. A major kickstart succes, it's on Steam and still in beta development (price will fall to about 25 bucks once gold) but the videos are awesome...not a FPS though.
mbar

Post by mbar »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

My biggest gripe with the Arma series has always been the AI. One of the great things about Arma 2 was the sandbox mode where you could make all towns on map capturable and have the AI handle most if not all squads on all teams. My brother and I tried many times to get a good war going but we always ran into the same problem.

It happened in every game and every map we tried, as the world became more populated with soldiers, the AI would just stop working and the OPFOR would stand around and not shoot any longer. Really broke what could have been the best shooter ever made. I assume Arma 3 will have similar AI issues as it appears to focus mainly on multiplayer.

Jim

That's discouraging to hear the AI gets stuck in Arma 2. I'd been putting together the basics for "Warfare" modules and getting the AI to react fairly well but had not tried to play a full war game yet. Now it sounds like it might be a waste of time.

Also Arma 3 doesn't have a Warfare module that I am aware of yet.
mbar

Post by mbar »

ORIGINAL: BASB

I am looking for a 1st shooter, is there any opinions on ARMA 3, or any other 1st person shooter.

What are you looking for in an FPS?

The Arma series is a giant sandbox to play war in. If you have buddies to play with and against, it's good. A bit clunky but good.

If you want to be in your own action movie there are many Call of Duty games. The stories are usually fun and cinematic to play through.

The original Ghost Recon with all expansions is fantastic for single player. You control 3 squads and can switch between all members. Good missions. Enemies blend in with the terrain. Feels like a realistic grunt sim. You cannot pick up or drop weapons though.

Rainbow 6 III is also old but you won't find a better tactical shooter. It's easy to give commands on the fly to your squad.

I'd start by looking at those and see what you like.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ArmA is not an FPS is a milsim.
It's also a way of life.
Everything that I can say will be fully biased by my passion for the ArmA series (including the best game of all time, Operation Flashpoint). :)
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I played Operation Flashpoint to death!
Formerly Goodwood

Return to “General Discussion”