Adding new nations / units?

Post new mods and scenarios here.
milspec

Adding new nations / units?

Post by milspec »

Hi,

I am trying to add some modern Rangers from Day of Heroes as a test. I think I understand the logic but it doesn't seem to work. Here is what I tried.

1. Created a new counter sheet named "Modern-Sheet-01.bmp", into which I pasted the counter for 3-6-4 Rangers. They are in column 1 row 4, same as German Squad.

2. Updated Nations.csv with:
7,Modern,Modern,,,

3. Updated Sprites.csv with:
157,counters/Modern-Sheet-01.bmp,,,,,y,Modern Counter Sheet #1,

4. Updated Units.csv with:
180,Modern,Squad,Rangers,3,6,4,6,,157,94,1,4,,,,*,*,2,6,,,,,2,FX/Soldiers_moving_01,FX/Soldiers_moving_02,FX/Smalls_arms_fire_German,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,20,,,,,,,,,,

5. Opened the Editor and I can add "Modern" as a side in the Scenario Editor. :-)

6. However I do not see the Modern unit in a Purchase List or when I F2 Units then a/s to change nation to Modern (which works) or z/x to change counters - it never shows up.

I attached the files I am working with.

Thanks for any advice,

milspec
Attachments
modernfiles.zip
(390.53 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
milspec

RE: Adding new nations / units?

Post by milspec »

OK, instead of a new nation, new sprites and new units, I over-wrote the SS nation, sprites and units. I replaced the first SS Squad from SS-Sheet-01.bmp with some test Modern Rangers, change the name of the Nation, and changed the unit stats.

It worked!

I now have Modern Rangers running around in a test scenario and shooting Germans. :-)

Two questions:

- Is there a hard limit on the number of units available? It seemed like the game didn't like when I added Unit #180.

- My Modern Rangers are generating German Heroes when they roll a 1. :-) Where is hero generation controlled? I suspect I may have to replace all Germans with all Modern units, for example.

Making slow progress...
jonj01

Post by jonj01 »

200 counters ...thats the limit..I tried 185 counters with the biggest map possible...the AI was a little 1-2seconds to respomd slow.
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

1.07 has the Units.csv assigned to the custom sides in the editor if they have nations Custom 1 or Custom 2 in the Editor, I just completely forgot about that. It's off in the Matrix queue, will hopefully be soon.

I'm going to have to update the hero code to search the nation lists instead of defaulting to Germany, thanks for catching that.
milspec

Post by milspec »

Tom,

Thanks for the update. I still can't get a new nation to work. Here are the steps I took:

1. Create a new bmp for the counters. I called it "Modern-Sheet-01.bmp" and it has my Ranger Squad in Col 1 Row 1, and the Ranger Half Squad in Col 3 Row 1.

2. Create a new nation entry. I edit "Nations.csv" and change Custom 1 to read Modern Units / Modern. This is the csv row:

6,Civilians,Civilian,,,y
7,Modern Units,Modern,,,
8,Custom 2,Custom 2,,,

3. Update "Sprites.csv" with a new row for the new counter sheet. At the end of the list I add row 157 to read counters/Modern-Sheet-01.bmp with y for counters. Here is the csv row:

155,hexes/mud3.tga,,,,,,,
156,hexes/mud4.tga,,,,,,,
157,counters/Modern-Sheet-01.bmp,,,,,y,Modern Counter Sheet #1,

4. Add the stats for the Ranger Squad and Half Squad to new rows 180 and 181:

179,UNUSED,Leader,Lt Walker,,,6,7,1,31,94,3,2,,,,,,3,7,,,,,0,FX/Soldiers_moving_01,FX/Soldiers_moving_02,FX/MP40_01,FX/MP40_02,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
180,Modern,Squad,Ranger Squad,3,6,4,6,,157,94,1,1,,,,*,*,2,6,,,,,2,FX/Soldiers_moving_01,FX/Soldiers_moving_02,FX/Smalls_arms_fire_German,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,20,,,,,,,,,,
181,Modern,Squad,Ranger Half Squad,2,5,4,6,,157,94,3,1,,,,*,*,2,6,,,,,1,FX/Soldiers_moving_01,FX/Soldiers_moving_02,FX/Smalls_arms_fire_German,,,,,,,,,,,y,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5,,,,,,,,,,

When I enter the editor I can see the Modern custom nation name in both the editor and the unit list. However, the unit list is empty. I did notice that the two units are available under the German side, which is odd because they do not reference Germany at all. Is this a default value for new unit rows?

Attachments
FilesEdit.zip
(116.14 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
milspec

Post by milspec »

Here is a screenshot showing the Ranger unit appearing in Germany (not Modern)

Attachments
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (179.42 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Don't put 'Modern' as the nation in units.csv, put 'Custom 1' there, regardless of what you've renamed Custom 1. That should work.
milspec

Post by milspec »

Thanks, Tom, almost there. Adding "Custom 1" as the nation in "Units.csv" helped. It allows me to select the custom units as part of the Modern nation, and it even showed the units on the Purchase screen in the scenario options (which is the first time that worked for me).

However, it still classifies the units as German for purposes of victory. If I set Victory Hexes to 0 and Eliminate All Squads to 2, the scenario will still auto-end and shows the Modern units in the German side.

See attached pic.

Attachments
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (137.55 KiB) Viewed 209 times
milspec

Post by milspec »

It does it versus Russia also. Even when I set Victory Conditions to "No Auto Win if Eliminated" - sorry I am getting the exact Victory terms a little wrong.

See attached.

Attachments
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (147.19 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Did you change the nations in the scenario? On the scenario info tab screen, where it says Side 1: Germany, click that and enter, uh, 7? I think that's right. The buttons for side selection, etc, use the nation names specified there since you might have multiple nations on a side or something.

If the scenario ends immediately and there are no vic hexes, I think you probably have everybody on the same side, so side 1 just wins because side 2 is all gone. Make sure the units that you think are on side 2 actually are (right-click counters in editor side box and Switch Sides).
milspec

Post by milspec »

Thanks, Tom. I had selected two different sides but didn't "Switch Sides" on the units after I placed them. Seems to be working now, will test more and report back.

Appreciate all of the help and the updates!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”