SLOOOOOW A.I.

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

STUCKER868

SLOOOOOW A.I.

Post by STUCKER868 »

Anyone notice the A.I taking forever to do a turn starting around midway 1915? 15 minutes or more sometimes.

S.
Lord Zimoa

RE: SLOOOOOW A.I.

Post by Lord Zimoa »

This is something that has our attention lads, main cause is the addition of all the Garrisons and possible combat and movement checks the AI performs extra because of it.

We try to find a temporarily speed solution asap.

On a side note we are in the process, since 6 months, of re-writing and re-placing the current AI completely with a new AI we build up from scratch, also with more attention to the Naval aspect. This was btw one of the reasons porting took much longer as expected.

We hope to have the new AI build up completely, replacing the old one, faster and optimised around the iPad release.
johnnybravo

Post by johnnybravo »

ORIGINAL: STUCKER868

Anyone notice the A.I taking forever to do a turn starting around midway 1915? 15 minutes or more sometimes.

S.

Could you please provide a savegame for analysis?
STUCKER868

Post by STUCKER868 »

Be happy too... where are the save games located? I don't see them in the game folder anywhere.
How do I upload the save file here?

Thanks,

Scott.

PS the other thing I see that needs addressed is that the A.I. (especially Russia) is using the
small garrison forces as front line troops. Slow, one hex per turn units that somehow can't
use the rail system are being used in the front lines... and they seem VERY resilient against
full attacks even by a full Infantry corps. Something's amiss here.

S.
STUCKER868

Post by STUCKER868 »

I appreciate that you are aware of this issue but as the game stands now (at least on my Asus G74 gaming laptop)
it is not playable. Mid 1915 and the last turn took over a half hour to complete for the A.I.

The garrison units are being used as front line troops as well (which they should not be capable of)
especially by the Russians.
...And they are holding off Corp sized attacks.

S.
amtrick

Post by amtrick »

I've noticed the slow AI also .... I'm currently in winter of 1915-1916. Not slow enough to be unplayable, but I do have time to make a sandwich or brew a pot of coffee while I'm waiting [:)]. Also playing on a (somewhat older) laptop. Running an AMD Athlon 64 CPU and 3 gigs of RAM. More than the minimum requirements, but barely. As new features etc. are added to the game, I hope the developers remember the original game system specs and stay inside those parameters. And I would assume the new build on the AI is going to be more efficient.
RickD
amtrick

Post by amtrick »

A couple of gameplay observations, a suggestion and a question.

1. I've got the same issue with the small garrison units. Playing as CP and I have seen the Russians, French and Italians sticking them up on the front lines. Heck, the English have been putting them on transports and sending them to France! The Russians really like to use them to extend a line against the Turks and try to envelop Turkish positions. They can take a heck of a beating (particularly if they are entrenched) and don't cost any manpower to repair. I think the original concept is fine (provide some limited defense for cities so opponents can't just breeze on in), but since the AI treats them as just another unit, that's not what is happening ... and I'm forced to misuse them, too. So here are a couple of suggestions; either give cities an intrinsic defense, but no unit per se, give cities a zone of control, or leave the SGs the way they are, but make them so they can't be repaired. That way if you want to throw your old men and boys into the front line, they will just get chewed up quickly and have a minimum effect.

2. The English have far too easy a time placing corps in Egypt. By turn 15, I counted 8 full strength corps standing around in the Sinai. I'm sure this is due to the fact that they can just be placed there when they are first built. I get that the troops from India, Pakistan and ANZAC can come into the Suez Canal, but this seems a little extreme. BTW, a cute counter to this is to put a Turkish SG (yeah, I know their supposed to be protecting cities) on a transport in the Red Sea and move it around a little each turn. At least 3 full corps will follow it up and down the coast like zombies tracking a wind chime.

The game needs to either not let Entente units be deployed directly to Africa, or limit the deployment to a certain number of units. The merchant convoys are bringing both PP and manpower to English ports, so the units are being assembled in England. Make then run the submarine gauntlet into the Mediterranean!

3. A suggestion. Since airplanes don't start with any real combat power, give them a recon mission capability ... that is let them fly to a specified hex dispelling the Fog of War as they go.

4. A question. If a unit on the defense takes causalities that ordinarily would make it retreat, but it can't retreat because it is blocked from behind by terrain or other friendly units busily building second line entrenchments, does the defending unit take additional causalities? Seems like it should, but I can't tell from the gameplay that it is happening. In real life a unit that can make an orderly, fighting withdrawal from a bad situation has a higher probability of simply disintegrating if its retreat path is blocked. Panic sets in, and it is every man for themselves.
RickD
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Be happy too... where are the save games located? I don't see them in the game folder anywhere.

How to get the autosave file:

Autosaves can also be useful, especially if you can repeat the bug from the autosave. These are also in "My Documents\My Games\Commander The Great War\Save"

IMPORTANT: This save file is overwritten every time you press end turn. Please make a copy after any crash/bug you want to report before pressing end turn again.

johnnybravo

Post by johnnybravo »

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

How to get the autosave file:

Autosaves can also be useful, especially if you can repeat the bug from the autosave. These are also in "My Documents\My Games\Commander The Great War\Save"

IMPORTANT: This save file is overwritten every time you press end turn. Please make a copy after any crash/bug you want to report before pressing end turn again.

We contacted via PM already, I've got the save.
STUCKER868

Post by STUCKER868 »

What this game is a complete re-write of the OB and how the units are represented.
Corps, Divisions, and maybe Brigades or miltia (current garrison units).

Arty needs fixed too. I understand and actually like the way the ammo is handled to reflect the
limited offensive capabilities but I think the amount of ammo used needs nerfed a bit.
Arty should be able to fire over cities also to reflect the fact that they were not really that far back.

Two hexes in the game is a big distance considering the scale. So in reality a city should not be in the way to block firing.
I think Arty should be able to move AND fire but at a much reduced effectiveness.

WW1 was SLOW. Trench warfare is not very exciting especially on the grand scale this game represents. I do like
the big build ups for huge offensives etc... but there just seems to be several game play and balance issues that
are crippling this game at least from my view.
just_one_more_turn

Post by just_one_more_turn »

I am going to go on a limb and suggest that no one at Lordz did a test game of this with the new patch installed?

Yes I am also in 1915 and the turns are unplayable due to the slow speed. Also I used to be able to minimize the game before for five minutes read forums, post facebook, etc and then come back to the game to start my next turn but now it appears that it no longer runs in the background on Vista.

I am upset, mostly at myself as I never as a rule install a patch right off the bat but I was excited about the new uboat rules and downloaded it regardless. But really, all the studio would have to do is run a test game with this new patch from start to finish and they would have noticed this intense slow down.
operating

Post by operating »

My Pc runs a 8.1 OS, it runs just fine beginning to end for every scenario so far, very little AI delay. This morning, I happened to open up Task Manager, there popped up an active graft showing the amount of CPUs and Memory being used (for every program), amongst other stats. It got me to wondering if gameplay is being slowed down (for other members) cause of other programs that are sucking up CPUs and Ram, may be the cause of a slow AI. It appears some programs to the user may not be necessary to be running while CTGW is in use. I recall in Total War Games (and others) there were selections, for how much CPU a player wanted (in order to have a smooth running game). Noticed that STEAM sucks up Ram, even though it's not even being used. I'm no computer geek, however, turning off unnecessary programs might be a solution to some having a problem with slow AI.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

We are in the process of rewriting all the AI into hardcoded C++ within the engine and they will not run through Lua scripts anymore, this will speed things up, save memory and also solve some other issues. So this has our absolute attention, but you are right killing most other applications will tremendously help for now while playing CTGW.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

How about just making the SGs stationary? Zero movement, zero AI impact.

Personally, I'd like it if Artillery (and say Stormtrooper and MG Bn's, etc.) were attachments like HOI. That would eliminate the distortion of firing two hexes.

I also agree that being able to place new units directly in Egypt is unrealistic. The player could maybe start them on the south map edge on board a transport, but that would count against Transport capacity.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

We are in the process of rewriting all the AI into hardcoded C++ within the engine and they will not run through Lua scripts anymore, this will speed things up, save memory and also solve some other issues. So this has our absolute attention, but you are right killing most other applications will tremendously help for now while playing CTGW.

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Ps- what happened to kirk23... seems like he vanished after the patch.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Glad I'm not the only one seeing all these issues. I just got back into the game after a several month hiatus and found it impossible to make much headway as the CP. Plus the much, much longer AI turns sap more fun the longer you play. I thought maybe I was remembering wrong because the game seemed to play a heck of a lot faster at release.

In my mind, the SG would work best as an intrinsic city defense, not an actual unit. They shouldn't get in the way of other units, and definitely not be able to plug gaps in the front line. I think the basic premise needs to be included in the game one way or the other.

I'm sure you guys will get things sorted, this game has yet to reach it's potential, when it does it will be something special.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

If you save and reload right before you hit 'end turn' every couple of turns, the AI time seems to speed up.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Hi Dorb I have been on holiday for a week,but I'm back now checking on the forum feedback.[:)]

By the way guys,I have not found that the AI is much slower on my system,but then again I don't have any ram hungry programs running while I play any games.[;)]
Make it so!
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

ORIGINAL: kirk23
ORIGINAL: Dorb

Hi Dorb I have been on holiday for a week,but I'm back now checking on the forum feedback.[:)]

By the way guys,I have not found that the AI is much slower on my system,but then again I don't have any ram hungry programs running while I play any games.[;)]

Glad to see ya back, I got worried. You didn't holiday anywhere around Larkhall did ya by any freaky chance.lol Have some good ol friends around there.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord

Return to “Commander - The Great War”