2.03 Update Feedback

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

CapnDarwin

RE: 2.03 Update Feedback

Post by CapnDarwin »

MBot, what scenario is that from?
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
MBot

Post by MBot »

I have seen it in Strike First for sure, possibly also Rhino and Hell's Crossroad (not sure anymore).

Also as a little side note, might it be a good idea to remove the automatic displacement moves for the 2" mortars? For a unit that only has a 2 hex fire range, a one hex displacement move often disrupts the defensive setup.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Capn Darwin: I'll try to figure out what the scenarios were that I spotted it in.

Maybe I saw it when I changed a move deliberately order when the infantry had already dismounted because it was within 1 hex of the objective and I set it to dismount at that range. If you drag the waypoint to a new location if the infantry has dismounted, the icon will continue to show the infantry icon until the unit moves.

It could be that other instances were just units without enough organic transport left, I'll keep an eye out for it.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

Sabre, in the game both the M3A1 and the M2A1 carry 2 rounds according to the subunit info.

In my case, these 4 Bradley's knocked out 45 T-80BV's and presumably a couple APC's with 16 TOW-2's (assuming they received a full reload and used one TOW-2 per tank). Even if they carried 6 rounds, 48 TOW-2's for 45 tanks is still a good deal.

The 2 M3A1 Bradley scout units also significantly outperformed the 4 M2A1 Bradley unit, which has 16 kills, so 4 per vehicle (the same goes for the leading M1A1 Abrams(HA) platoon).

The performance of the Bradley in units with a lot of infantry elements is generally worse than those of the scout (2 Bradley, 2 cavalry scout) or all Bradley element units. This also applies to the performance of the Marder.

-

Capn Darwin: as usual, many thanks for the continued support and quick feedback.

I happened to look up the stats on the Bradleys and didn't realize how many Tow missiles they actually carried. More than I thought. The M3 version carried 12 and the M2 carried 7. So just missiles alone, theoretically they could kill 45 tanks, but IMO, realistically they wouldn't have stayed in place after the second shot. It takes a couple minutes to reload and in that time they should have been taking arty and return fire of some type. Must also take into account time of flight of the missile. At max range it is 21.5 seconds. That's an eternity when a main gun round can reach that far in under a second.

If I recall correctly, the Tow had about a 75% success rate while the Hellfire was up around 96%. So when you take all the factors into account, I just don't see that many tanks being killed. If they got 6 or 7 kills before the tanks got onto them, I would figure them lucky.

Another thing to consider is the 25mm depleted uranium round. In the Gulf war they were killing T-72's, getting turret penetration with it. I wouldn't think they could do that to T-80's equipped with ERA, but the older T-62's and T-55's they could chew up.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

The Soviets couldn't see the Bradley units in question, so they could fire away at their leisure.

Are you sure the regular IFV Bradleys, carrying infantry, had that many missiles on board? It seems like an impressive total.

Anyway, in the game they officially have 2.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

The Soviets couldn't see the Bradley units in question, so they could fire away at their leisure.

Are you sure the regular IFV Bradleys, carrying infantry, had that many missiles on board? It seems like an impressive total.

According to the Bradley vehicle stats that's what their basic load was. There were dedicated storage racks for the missiles. I've been inside the M3's and they had extra racks on one of the side walls where troops would have sat in an M2, but I never really took the time to see where the other missiles would have been stored in either the M2 or M3. In peacetime drills, the troops would most likely throw their personal gear in the places where ammo was stored at, in wartime though a lot of that extra personal stuff was hung on the outside of the tracks. In any case, the insides were mighty cramped.
VilleYrjola

Post by VilleYrjola »

Any info on the 2.03 hotfix release?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

All I can say is that we blessed all the fixes last night and sent it up to Matrix. As soon as both of us approve the update package we will let you know.

jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

All I can say is that we blessed all the fixes last night and sent it up to Matrix. As soon as both of us approve the update package we will let you know.

shhhhh Capn, You're not supposed to tell us that.....ohhhhh the anxiety.[;)]

Seriously, thanks for keeping us informed!
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
VilleYrjola

Post by VilleYrjola »

Thanks for the info Capn! Looking forward to it! :)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

[:D] I can't say when we think it will be up anymore. I should be safe saying we have finished the code side of things.

mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

Well the M3 was the recon scout variant not designed to carry troops. If I remember correctly, it had extra com gear and extra storage for Tows...so 12 in an M3 sounds reasonable. I would agree (having seen it) that the 25mm bushmaster at 500 yards will penetrate the side armor of t-72 with ease and f-up anything inside. Not so much a T-80 or 72 head on.

As far as tow firing and detection goes, flight time
Is an issue only if someone sees it coming. In a hostile battlefield a buttoned up tank is unlikely to see that missile unless the gunner or commander was looking right at it. By the time you see it, register what it is, issue orders amd have the turret slew...it's over. I would imagine the same would apply for soviet variants
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Well the M3 was the recon scout variant not designed to carry troops.

In the game, they're the IFV's used by cavalry scout teams, so they do carry troops unless I'm missing something.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

What made the final cut?
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

The M3's usually carry a 2 man Scout Team.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

For those waiting on the 2.03a "hotfix that is more like an update" to hit the servers, here is the list of fixes and tweaks and updated stuff we did.

Change List for Flashpoint Campaign Red Storm version 2.03a

NEW – When the game ends you can still save it so that you can browse the results later. You cannot play it but you can browse it.

FIXED – units were not retreating under pressure with the same zeal as in 2.02 due to a weighting change in the AI. This has been adjusted back to a better balance and units will scoot again now to better preserve their minimum standoff distance.
FIXED – if artillery units arrive as reinforcements the Fire Support (FS) tab in the Command Notebook was not appearing right away if it was not already visible. It now does.
FIXED – Small arms fire had incorrectly been given a larger than desired % chance to knock out a hard target. The chance is now is extremely slight.
FIXED - Thermals sights are now working again during all phases of the day.
FIXED – Night vision gear now has the correct range of view and now interacts properly with the spotting model at night.
FIXED – The second scenario in campaign games was suddenly starting with a negative number of minutes on the clock because of an incorrect adjustment for the depot replenishment time introduced in the last build.
FIXED – Vertical scroll bars in some reports could delay or crash the game when quickly activated with mouse wheel.
FIXED – some random hexes of the river nets of three maps were not coded to be rivers: CS 1 Red Storm, Red Storm 10, and Red Storm 11.
FIXED – when the game was over you could not right-click on enemy units to bring up the popup menu to view post-game options.
FIXED - the View / Map-Show zoom level menu choices would change the map scale to the desired new value and then incorrectly change it back to the previous value again.
FIXED - Spelling of “parameter” fixed in the UI.

UPDATED –Only Leg units and Mech Inf type units set to screen /hold in urban terrain will hold fire until enemy is within 50/30% of effective weapon range.
UPDATED – The max fire range overlay now shows a non-numbered ring showing the max range of AD engagement. This will show along with any non-AD max range fire hexes.
UPDATED - Increased the chance of a “no shot” with limited ammo secondary weapons (mainly ATGMS in fixed or box launchers) as unit ammo % drops. This should fix the Bradly overkill issues seen by a few folks.

CHANGED – helicopters would flash their location when they detected enemy air search radar but this was too much info and has been turned off.
CHANGED – A unit will no longer try to go into Rest and Refit orders if there are any enemy units visible to it at the time.
CHANGED - HQ unit was always in leg mode regardless of orders. This was deliberate but is changed now to show it mounted in vehicles (if any) if it is given a movement order.

We would expect to see this going up early this upcoming week. We'll keep you posted.

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

FIXED – Small arms fire had incorrectly been given a larger than desired % chance to knock out a hard target. The chance is now is extremely slight.

I recall how the M60 machinegun MILES transmitter could sometimes be set into "paperclip bypass mode" and knock out tanks. [:-]
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I remember hearing about stuff like that from a friend of mine over there in the 80s. We the paperclip has been removed from the game. [:D]

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”