Soldier's 'selfie' causing controversy

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JWW

RE: Soldier's 'selfie' causing controversy

Post by JWW »

Fox News? I never saw this on Fox. It went viral on the Internet before it hit the news. I saw it on another forum first and then on Facebook. Fox is just one of many sources for this.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Sorry. I saw it on Fox. I forgot they were fair and balanced.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
JWW

Post by JWW »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sol ... rsy-n39756

Here is the story on NBC. The point is the story did not originate on Fox, has nothing really to do with Fox. It hit the Internet and went viral and appeared on multiple sources starting on about Feb. 26.

As for me, I watch Morning Joe on MSNBC in the mornings while getting ready for work and CNN for breaking news, though I get most of my news from the Internet. I don't really get the connection with Fox. The original poster quotes a local Colorado tv station that appears to be an ABC affiliate.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: danlongman

The function of Fox News is to generate this sort of outrage on a daily basis. The young lady in question is
showing remarkable immaturity with her "Nyah! Nyah!" attitude but what do you expect from some kid right out
of high school?

Very true danlongman. That's why I don't watch Fox "news". Try to keep a level head as much as I can.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Regardless of channel. Why would, or should, a news channel include this in their broadcast? To me it feels wrong on several levels.

I hope that my question do not make this political. I see no reason that it should but to make sure could we please leave the specific news programs out of this and speak in generic terms.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Orm
I hope that my question do not make this political. I see no reason that it should but to make sure could we please leave the specific news programs out of this and speak in generic terms.

Good point. Sorry about the digression.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Orm, you make a good point. I think this became news because it spread virally, and the media picked it up. And it was interesting. And that is about it. Actually the major source in making it a minor national story seems to have been the Army Times, which ran this story on Feb. 25, a day before it appeared on most major media.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201402 ... ne-outrage

It appears some of the Ft. Carson area media picked up the story from Army Times. And then it spread and the media circus began. As for why it made the news, it had a couple of the traditional qualities of news -- novelty and human interest. Those have always been qualities of news. Nothing new there. And in today's electronically connected world, it appears the public also helps make the news by clicking on links and commenting and spreading them.

I deleted some further comment I made not directly related to your comment.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: JW

... The point is the story did not originate on Fox, has nothing really to do with Fox. It hit the Internet and went viral and appeared on multiple sources starting on about Feb. 26.

As for me, I watch Morning Joe on MSNBC in the mornings while getting ready for work and CNN for breaking news, though I get most of my news from the Internet. I don't really get the connection with Fox. The original poster quotes a local Colorado tv station that appears to be an ABC affiliate.

From KRDO, which I pulled off of Twitter, probably from Blogs of War. The follow-up story about the second caption was from Fox's The Kelly File that stated that though ducking retreat happens in the military all the time, this was the first time a soldier documented it and posted it publicly.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
JWW

Post by JWW »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

... The point is the story did not originate on Fox, has nothing really to do with Fox. It hit the Internet and went viral and appeared on multiple sources starting on about Feb. 26.

From KRDO, which I pulled off of Twitter, probably from Blogs of War. The follow-up story about the second caption was from Fox's The Kelly File that stated that though ducking retreat happens in the military all the time, this was the first time a soldier documented it and posted it publicly.

I'm not sure I get the focus on Fox though. This story was all over the place.
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

You guys that served in the army recall the basic training lyric "dumb, dumb, knucklehead", well she fits that pretty well, but she wasn't the first and won't be the last. Unfortunately for her this will most likely result in an article 15 and possibly getting chaptered out.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

You guys that served in the army recall the basic training lyric "dumb, dumb, knucklehead", well she fits that pretty well, but she wasn't the first ...

Fox's The Kelly File stated that though ducking retreat happens in the military all the time, this was the first time a soldier documented it and posted it publicly.

Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

Well technically she DID Retreat [8D]

Cheers

Jev
I am really quite mad yoo know!
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

You guys that served in the army recall the basic training lyric "dumb, dumb, knucklehead", well she fits that pretty well, but she wasn't the first ...

Fox's The Kelly File stated that though ducking retreat happens in the military all the time, this was the first time a soldier documented it and posted it publicly.

On the other hand, I can think of much worse 'selfies' that have brought disgrace on the soldier in question and the US military.

Yeah, those ones.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

On the other hand, I can think of much worse 'selfies' that have brought disgrace on the soldier in question ...

Technically, to take a "selfie" you have to do it yourself.
JWW

Post by JWW »

You guys that served in the army recall the basic training lyric "dumb, dumb, knucklehead", well she fits that pretty well, but she wasn't the first and won't be the last. Unfortunately for her this will most likely result in an article 15 and possibly getting chaptered out.

Modern technology has given the dumbazzes amazing new ways to broadcast instantly to the world how stupid they are. And that has to be taken into account in dealing with her. Not only did she apparently commit an offense by ducking retreat by hiding in her car, but she bragged about it via Instagram. That carries it into the realm of an Article 134 violation for "...all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces..." It is one of numerous things in the last few years, from minor to major, that have come to light not because they were done but because the idiots showed the world what they were doing. One might argue that it shouldn't make any difference, but it makes a big difference to the command. She provides the evidence herself for ducking retreat, and at the same time meets the Article 134 requirement by putting it on Instagram. She also showed a defiant attitude about the whole thing in her comments. Perhaps a comment saying, "Gee, I was just joking, and now I see what a stupid thing I did," might mitigate in her favor. Instead she kept telling people to F off if they didn't like it. That mitigates against her, too.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I'm still waiting for people to get outraged about this selfie:

People need to lighten up on this whole selfie thing. It doesn't hurt anybody.
Attachments
3732767Flyvevbnet.jpg
3732767Flyvevbnet.jpg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 146 times
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
JWW

Post by JWW »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Yes. It does.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Here is an update on the selfie incident.

http://m.gazette.com/fort-carson-soldiers-selfie-could-land-her-2-years-in-prison/article/1515459/gazette.comfort-carson-soldiers-selfie-could-land-her-2-years-in-prison/article/1515459

As others have noted, the bigger problem is not ducking retreat, but flaunting it.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Yes. It does.

WRONG! The problem with the first story is that she's being a moron about it. Selfies are not the general problem.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Return to “General Discussion”