Slow game play

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

gimp36

Slow game play

Post by gimp36 »

I just purchased this game last weekend I have it downloaded to my home computer and my lab top which both have windows 8. I've downloaded it 3 different times with the patches and I still have major 5 sec lag time when ever I try to scroll around the map. Its even worse when I go to any given base and try to scroll thru the different units. Even when I try to exit the game it takes about 10 seconds for the quit option to come up. The game takes long enough with out the lag. Had played this game on my last computer and never had this problem.
Is there any step by step fix that I could do to speed the game up for computer dummies?

Thanks
ex U.S.S. Spruance DD963
crew member

Bullwinkle58

RE: Slow game play

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Look in the readme.rtf in the root directory for the game. Read up on performance switches. You need to insert some in your launch shortcut. If you need help in how to do that after reading ask here. It's a common question.

Welcome.
The Moose
MBF

Post by MBF »

Just for a little added information - you will want to download either a beta or official path - I believe that is when the switches were added to allow for helping some graphics cards
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: MBF

Just for a little added information - you will want to download either a beta or official path - I believe that is when the switches were added to allow for helping some graphics cards

I believe the core switches were in the original release and a hotfix was issued to modify them in July 2009. If the OP has any patches, as he says he does, he has the switches.

Yes, he should patch to the latest official patch, including data patch, and then consider patching to the betas. But he has switches now.
The Moose
gimp36

Post by gimp36 »

I read the performance examples. I have windows 8 with intel core i7. I right clicked the desktop icon went to properties then short cut. then under target and the start in areas added -cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw and it kept giving me target box is not valid. It looked like this when I was done.

start in "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition"-cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw

under target "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe""-cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw

it kept saying target box is not valid when I tried to change it
Gaspote

Post by Gaspote »

ORIGINAL: gimp36

I read the performance examples. I have windows 8 with intel core i7. I right clicked the desktop icon went to properties then short cut. then under target and the start in areas added -cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw and it kept giving me target box is not valid. It looked like this when I was done.

start in "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition"-cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw

under target "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe""-cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw

it kept saying target box is not valid when I tried to change it

Remove the command from the start in, there are only need in the target.

like this :
start in "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition"

under target "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe"-cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw
gimp36

Post by gimp36 »

can someone just copy and paste an example of what it should look like under properties then shortcut or I'm putting it in the wrong spot?
gimp36

Post by gimp36 »

thanks Gaspote I tried that under short cut the target and it keeps telling me that target box is not valid when I try and apply it.
Gaspote

Post by Gaspote »

the target is supposed to be : "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"
I missed this.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... 1-help.png
DaveConn

Post by DaveConn »

Under Windows 8, I have the same problem which I could not solve by any combination of switch settings that I could find. It was solved by running in a Window, rather than full screen, though.
Gaspote

Post by Gaspote »

Did you try with "resolve compatibility problems" ? or changing compatibility mode (I don't know the exact terms in english)
gimp36

Post by gimp36 »

Ok I got that to stick in the target and I retried the game. land and naval units move a little faster but when going thru air units at a base or moving around the map there still about a 4 second delay. I left the start in box a lone. I changed compatibility to windows 7.
Gaspote

Post by Gaspote »

With Windows XP SP2 compatibility it should work better than windows 7.
gimp36

Post by gimp36 »

I tried to minimize it under shortcut and now the game crashes when it starts up.
gimp36

Post by gimp36 »

Ok I finially got it to work. I downloaded that beta patch and now it works just fine. The only thing wrong now it is not full screen. There is no lag when I play now. If you have windows 8 I would download the patch.

Thanks to everyone who helped me.
Gaspote

Post by Gaspote »

To have full screen you have to remove the -w or something like that from the target, and add what you previously add.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

FWIW, I have an Intel i7 and have always used -cpu4 with good results in Win 7.

I can't tell from pixels, but make sure in all the switches you used the hyphen key and not the dash key. In the post where you first show your switches it looks like two of them might be dashes. When/if you do hi rez screen be aware that the example in the readme.rtf has a typo in that it USES DASHES for the -px, -py example. Many have cut & pasted from the readme over the years and come here with it not working.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

FWIW as well, this is my switch array in Win 7 on a pretty large monitor.

-altFont -multiaudio -archive -dd_sw -cpu4 -fd -px1680 -py1050
The Moose
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

Okay Mr. Moose, which key is the hyphen and which one is the dash? The one next to the "0" key looks exactly like the one above the "+" key on the numeric keypad. I never have understood why there's a difference between the two.

Most humble regards, Paul (a non-moose-like, mostly humanoid-like person)
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

The end of my string has -f (full screen)

Attachments
switches.jpg
switches.jpg (112.97 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”