Double Standards

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

Double Standards

Post by warspite1 »

Its a real shame that double standards are employed on the Matrix Forums when it comes to political threads. There is a no politics rule which is vigorously applied in the General Discussion forum, but this does not seem to apply to the WITP-AE forum.

When, on the GD forum there was a recent discussion about Scottish Independence, the discussion was mature, thought provoking and, despite its contentious nature, was conducted in an entirely civilised manner. It was still closed down.

On the WITP-AE forum certain individuals have been discussing the Ukraine (a couple of threads on similar subject on this forum were immediately locked) and nothing is done.

So does the rule about no politics exist for all or not?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Ranger33

RE: Double Standards

Post by Ranger33 »

It's Sunday, I doubt they watch the forums like hawks over the weekend. Nothing to get in a huff about.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Not really in a huff - Just hacked off with the superior attitude of some people….

rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I agree with you Warspite the Scottish thread was very good and the debate was very rational.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Different moderators on the game forums usually also.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

This isn't really specific to Matrix Games - when you have multiple sub-forums and a limited number of moderators, and/or moderators that are not consistent in their application of policy across sub-forums, you can have these situations where a sub-forum starts becoming somewhat insular. There are quite a few tales of GameFAQs posters "taking over" the sub-forum for very obscure games and using it as their own, the internet equivalent of a lawless Wild Wild West of the internet. You could probably pull off something similar here - the Making History II sub-forum or something.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well if that thread is acceptable to Matrix over there I might as well take the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em approach [:)]

Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Surely a thread purely about the military aspects of the Ukraine crisis should be possible?

Of course if this forum was around on September 1st, 1939 we couldn't have a "German invasion of Poland" thread. Too political [;)]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Can you refer us to any threads that might need us to take action. We have hundreds of thousands of posts and nobody has seen them all unfortunately.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

ORIGINAL: Neilster
Surely a thread purely about the military aspects of the Ukraine crisis should be possible?

yep: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8629.0

[;)]
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

british exil

Post by british exil »

When does a thread start to become political?

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Would it not be possible to have a discussion area where politics etc is allowed to be discussed with obvious warnings and disclaimers. Sites such as boardgamegeek have dedicated areas. I feel that this enhances the experience of the overall forum, especially when military games always have a political dimension.

I know I have used this forum less since I have found sites where games and discussions go hand in hand.
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Would it not be possible to have a discussion area where politics etc is allowed to be discussed with obvious warnings and disclaimers.

This was just discussed in the last 2 months, as Slaak brought it up.

That thread has apparently been deleted, but the community consensus was very much "not no, but hell no" with only a few dissenting votes.

FWIW, with a decent moderator presence, it can work (let me again offer a plug for GrogHeads here), but these forums are (and should be) focused on Matrix Games and the mods try to keep that focus in the forefront.
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Can you refer us to any threads that might need us to take action. We have hundreds of thousands of posts and nobody has seen them all unfortunately.
warspite1

Looks like there is no point. The moderator of that forum has decided that although OT: Ukrainian Crises is a political thread and has crossed over the lines a few times already, it is okay to continue with it (whereas Scottish Independence and Ukraina Crises - Kremlin Next Moves on this forum, were of course, not allowed).

I must confess I am really disappointed in the uneven and inconsistent way that Matrix has chosen to treat its forumites. This behaviour simply feeds the astounding arrogance of the likes of Bullwinkle and Alfred - the former who believes that those that use the General Discussion Forum are (and I quote) "a howling bunch of yokels" and latter who believes that we are retarded as we "have no ability to grasp more complex games"

Sadly I cannot find the rest of the latters quotes - but the rest of his diatribe against this forum was in much the same vein.

PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Looks like there is no point. The moderator of that forum has decided that although OT: Ukrainian Crises is a political thread and has crossed over the lines a few times already, it is okay to continue with it (whereas Scottish Independence and Ukraina Crises - Kremlin Next Moves on this forum, were of course, not allowed).

I must confess I am really disappointed in the uneven and inconsistent way that Matrix has chosen to treat its forumites. This behaviour simply feeds the astounding arrogance of the likes of Bullwinkle and Alfred - the former who believes that those that use the General Discussion Forum are (and I quote) "a howling bunch of yokels" and latter who believes that we are retarded as we "have no ability to grasp more complex games"

Sadly I cannot find the rest of the latters quotes - but the rest of his diatribe against this forum was in much the same vein.

Thanks for the reply, as I said I haven't been around for a while. Personal reasons not related to Matrix forum.

Now about Scottish Independence....
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

warspite1

could it be because youre considered to be in the shop window here?
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant
ORIGINAL: Neilster

yep: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8629.0

[;)]
Unfortunately can't go there.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Mom...Dad...Bullwinkle and Alfred are talking politics!!! Help..make them stop!!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

warspite1

Ran back to your clubhouse I see. Stay. Please. The adults are talking in the AE forum.
The Moose
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

warspite1

could it be because youre considered to be in the shop window here?
warspite1

If that is the case then why not be told that is the case?

Return to “General Discussion”