OT: Ukrainian crisis

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JocMeister

OT: Ukrainian crisis

Post by JocMeister »

There are videos on YouTube showing (supposedly) Russian helicopters and troop convoys moving on the Crimea. Apparently Russian troops are trying to disarm Ukrainian forces on the Crimea and the Russian Black Sea fleet has closed off Sevastopol.

The Ukrainian government ordered a full mobilization about 2 hours ago. All men under 40 are ordered to mobilize.

Some scary stuff happening right now. [:(]
btd64

RE: OT: Ukrainian crisis

Post by btd64 »

Question is, what will the rest of the world do? will they sit on there hands or do something? I think the new government will need to ask for some kind of help. but what kind?[:(]
GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
obvert

Post by obvert »

Yes. This is not good. With Putin there seems to be no backing down to diplomacy, no other option than threat of force.

I sincerely hope something happens to stem this before it escalates further.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Gaspote

Post by Gaspote »

Except diplomacy the rest of the world won't make anything. It's going to be like Georgie in 2008.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Question is, what will the rest of the world do? will they sit on there hands or do something? I think the new government will need to ask for some kind of help. but what kind?[:(]
GP

Lots of political sanctions already taking place. But most experts seem to agree that any military interference from the outside is extremely unlikely.

Although both Nato, Russia(!) and the EU has guaranteed Ukrainian sovereignty in exchange for the dismantlement of its nuclear weapons...

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Gaspote

Except diplomacy the rest of the world won't make anything. It's going to be like Georgie in 2008.

Sadly, I think you are right. [:(]
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Hey guys and gals. Keep me posted here. I just moved into a new place. no tv, and no internet yet, and the internet at this McDonalds is sketchy at best.[:D][:D][:D]
Cheers

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

It's easy to act when it's a smallish bully, Iraq. This time the stakes are to high and nobody wants to go to war over the Ukraine when they stand to get hurt.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Key point taken straight from BBC

-Ukraine puts its army on full combat alert after Russia approves the deployment of its troops
-US Secretary of State John Kerry warns that Russia faces expulsion from the Group of Eight developed nations
-Nato has held an emergency meeting at 12:00 GMT to discuss the escalating conflict in Crimea
-The Ukrainian parliament is to meet in emergency session
-There are stand-offs between Ukrainian armed forces and Russian soldiers who have surrounded Ukrainian bases
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Thanks for the update JocMeister.

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister
-US Secretary of State John Kerry warns that Russia faces expulsion from the Group of Eight developed nations

These are the only kind of measures the west will use: economic and diplomatic pressure. NATO won't be sending any military help
koniu

Post by koniu »

-There are stand-offs between Ukrainian armed forces and Russian soldiers who have surrounded Ukrainian bases

In few places Ukrainian soldiers where disarmed by Russians. Probably Ukrainian small garrisons in Crimea have order to not fight with Russian soldiers to avoid escalation of conflict like in Georgia in 2008
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

GP

Lots of political sanctions already taking place. But most experts seem to agree that any military interference from the outside is extremely unlikely.

Although both Nato, Russia(!) and the EU has guaranteed Ukrainian sovereignty in exchange for the dismantlement of its nuclear weapons...

which is one of the (understandable) reasons why other nuclear powers won't give up their arsenal. You could never trust anyone and you can't do so in future when it comes down to diplomacy, sadly that is.
And a nuclear arsenal seems to still be the ace you should have in your stack.
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

This is very unsettling to me. I sense great evil coming and fear danger is around the corner for more than just the people of Ukraine. No facts to back it up of course, but something just feels terribly wrong about this series of events and the players involved.
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

I agree. Noone can do anything more than barking in useless diplomacy
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: offenseman

This is very unsettling to me. I sense great evil coming and fear danger is around the corner for more than just the people of Ukraine. No facts to back it up of course, but something just feels terribly wrong about this series of events and the players involved.

+1

I often shrug at "international crises" but this one sends chills down my spine. Don´t really know why. [:(]
panzer cat

Post by panzer cat »

Putin will take the crimea and the eastern Ukraine. We(U.S.)will cancel a few meetings or recall our ambassador. Western European armed forces are a joke, so they will condem the invasion and form a few study groups. The Ukraine is on it's own.

panzer cat
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Offered without comment. Interesting points about European banking and the Russian oligarch community.

http://www.politico.com//magazine/story ... xNxemeYZaQ
The Moose
fmj

Post by fmj »

Not to worry, it's just another U.S. sponsored coup aimed at raping the Ukraines natural resources. Or you can suck down more western propaganda and be delusional about big bad Russia.
Fact is-
-the U.S. is the greatest purveyor of violence on the planet.
-has been behind more violent coups overthrowing democratically elected govts. than any other nation.
-has invaded more nations and started more wars than any other country on the planet post ww2.

adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

ORIGINAL: panzer cat

Putin will take the crimea and the eastern Ukraine. We(U.S.)will cancel a few meetings or recall our ambassador. Western European armed forces are a joke, so they will condem the invasion and form a few study groups. The Ukraine is on it's own.

panzer cat
+1 word by word, add European foreign policy is a joke as well because there are as many policies as Countries joined to the E.U.

Return to “General Discussion”