Sanity returns

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
Rasputitsa

Sanity returns

Post by Rasputitsa »

Thanks Frank, for bringing WEGO back into wargaming, issuing orders and watching them play out simultaneously, is the only realistic way to play such games. Only just completed the download, but looking forward to this, all accomplished without filling the HDD, proving that you don't need Gbs to achieve a good game.[&o]

Thanks again for 'PFE' and the other titles I have enjoyed over the years. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
jack54

RE: Sanity returns

Post by jack54 »

I really want to support this game 'Because' it's WEGO. While I believe each game type...WEGO, IGOUGO...and Realtime have there own advantages WEGO is my favorite.
Just waiting for some more Feedback. (birthday is SOON [:D]!)
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

I have just got this one and playing the introductory scenario - its again a very elegant work. Having the game broken into just the orders phase and then the wego action phase that you watch makes the game very easy to just start playing, but realistic at the same time and the results that following from you orders may not always get to be carried out as planned in the action phase depending on other things that may happen.

there is no offputting burdensome array of buttons -its a far more user friendly game than toaw3 but just as realistic if not more so with the wego style
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I would love a WeGo game at this level, but am not really interested in Italy...any chance of taking this engine to the eastern front?
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

...any chance of taking this engine to the eastern front?

+1

I am totally over the micro management of WITE. This type of game is much more to my liking. Especially the supply control it allows. Please do Russia.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

+1

I am totally over the micro management of WITE. This type of game is much more to my liking. Especially the supply control it allows. Please do Russia.

+1

Eastern Front would be good, forcing realistic strategies of accumulating supply for specific offensives rather shoveling units all over the map. Can the game system cope with the scale ?

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

zgrant

Post by zgrant »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

+1

+1

Eastern Front would be good, forcing realistic strategies of accumulating supply for specific offensives rather shoveling units all over the map. Can the game system cope with the scale ?

It would be grand if Frank could give the lads at 2 x 2 Games a run for their money. I like Unity of Command, but I think Frank's WEGO system and emphasis on supply would be a lot more fun.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Great design, pleasing interface, intuitive and convincingly realistic game system. You need to think like a military officer in order to play this game.

The one negative is the AI, which currently just sits there and allows itself to be surrounded. I await the squeals of protest and the inevitable AI fixes.

Probably best played as PBEM or H2H in its current state. Definitely not ready for a solitaire East Front module/version/expansion - the length and complexity of that front will really underscore the game's flaws.

However, a wonderful contribution to my game library and one that I will be supporting.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I for one am grateful FH chose Italy for this game, as I am sick and tired of all the Eastern Front games that have proliferated the market over the years. Since supply is so crucial in this game, I would like to see Burma set to this engine. Let's give Moscow, Leningrad, and Stalingrad a much needed vacation and explore new avenues with this series.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

I for one am grateful FH chose Italy for this game, as I am sick and tired of all the Eastern Front games that have proliferated the market over the years. Since supply is so crucial in this game, I would like to see Burma set to this engine. Let's give Moscow, Leningrad, and Stalingrad a much needed vacation and explore new avenues with this series.
Let's be greedy, Let's ask for both. [:D]

jack54

Post by jack54 »

I'll probably pick this up next week...the AI issues have me concerned as I do 99% of my gaming solo; hopefully Frank can address that with a patch.

(Can you get a good game on the harder level or as the Germans against an Allied AI.?)

Like many gamers I love the East Front stuff but this system looks like it would fit the Pacific theatre perfectly... and there's not much of that available.

Michael T

Post by Michael T »

North Africa is much neglected.....
jack54

Post by jack54 »

North Africa is much neglected.....

+1 .... so true! I think that would be fun!

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

i play the introductory scenario as mentioned above and played as the axis, the allies did a good job melting away my italian forces and went for me german units perhaps to the exclusion of all the objectives, only getting a few of them and leaving my units in Palermo untouched.
i retook syracuse as they left it unguarded. The ai came back from their mission to messina and retook it - perhaps i got lucky though as i moved a unit into the middle of the map in secret - of course as supply is an issue and i was deep in allied territory, my german unit had no combat supply .

I think the results from battles are interesting - seeing some units retreat more than others, while some may surrender if cornered - i think that is what would have happened to the remains of my armies in messina had i not attacked syracuse

thats just the introductor scenario and i think unit strenght is fairly small on both sides. I will have to play more to see how the ai goes in bigger scenarios.
wodin

Post by wodin »

WEGO should be the standard mechanic for all future wargames on the PC.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

+1

BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Too bad I don't have the time to play this. It's so GOOD to see WEGO back into the "operational game", that I want to cry [:)]
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

+2

governato

Post by governato »

+1 for East Front (but maybe 42+ and not the usual overdone suspects as Stalingrad, Kursk etc..).

Middle East 'd also be at the right scale...

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”