Music issues?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Antarian

Music issues?

Post by Antarian »

I have quite a few music files in my folder now, and at some point, the music just stops playing. I have found that the filenames often contain strange characters when done by others, like '.' and ',' and ':' . I (sadly) report I am using Windows 8, and it appears there is an issue with playing filenames with those values.

In addition, I would ask that people not put gigantic long filenames in, I really do not need a paragraph on who wrote the song, song name, ect. For example, I would name the Klingon Anthem as: Klingon_Anthem.mp3

Now all rise, and sing it with me!

Klingon Anthem
"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.
Antarian

RE: Music issues?

Post by Antarian »

I love that anthem, just found it! Very Soviet-era Russian, which is what the original Klingons in TOS were modeled after. I like the new ones better, who were modeled after a cross between the Mongols and the Vikings, but I still have a soft spot for the old, 'non-omlete' headed klingons.

Incidentally, can someone tell me how to down load a music based file from Youtube as an mp3? My wedding dj told me that was how he got all his tunes.
"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

Ask Google. :P
Protip: search Firefox add-ons.

As for the file names, I don't believe you can even have a ':' in your filename, unless Windows 8 did something unprecedented (and I'd likely hear about it). Other than that, sorry but I've never seen Windows 8 from up close, so can't be of much help...
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
Antarian

Post by Antarian »

Much appreciated!!

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

The MUSIC often stops when you hit one of the locations in the game.
Like the testing zones and the stations you stumble on to.
What I do is back away from the site/station and THEN go to another spot on the map and zoom in; that usually allows music to resume.

The other issue I have seen is a diplomatic screen when other music is played. Sometimes that causes the music to stop. What I do here is to get back into diplomacy and talk to whatever race, then back out. That usually allows the music to resume. ALTHOUGH, this workaround does not work as well as the one above.

It is a shame this whole thread could not go up into the tech support thread... this has been an issue a very long time.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

It is a shame this whole thread could not go up into the tech support thread... this has been an issue a very long time.

Think that could be said for many of the problems with the game. They never get fixed unless it is a major game breaker, Distant Worlds could be a much better 4x with a few months spent just addressing these issues instead of just passing them over and ignoring them.

Darkspire

Return to “Design and Modding”