A couple of questions

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
PKH

A couple of questions

Post by PKH »

Does the current port capacity affect supply for the allies, and if so, how ?

Does commandos have any special rules ?
Tamas

RE: A couple of questions

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: PKH

Does the current port capacity affect supply for the allies, and if so, how ?

Does commandos have any special rules ?

From the manual:
For the Allies, port supply capacities determine the level of
supply reaching each friendly hex. As Allied units move further away from ports
the amount of supply they receive from those ports declines so the capture of
ports closer to the front line as that line moves north is a constant necessity.
The second line is related to the first, its the percentage of a port’s supply
capacity that is currently working. To increase that value the player must
assign more workers than are required. If he assigns less workers than are
required the port’s functioning supply capacity will gradually decrease.

Supply capacity is crucial! Earlier what I used to do as Allies was to go for Naples on the west, as that is just the mother of all ports (although directly invading it has always ended in failure, as the AI really does not like that one bit), and at the east I was skipping Taranto and the south-eastern edge of the map, landing more to the north.

However, nowadays I prefer grabbing Taranto as one of my earliest landings, because it is also a very big port, and I sort of anchor my initial advance on it. That has its trade-offs, but on the other hand my supply situation is less fragile thanks to it.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

yes,if the port capacity is low you get less supplies delivered.As for commandos there are no special rules
PKH

Post by PKH »

I'm aware supply spreads from ports. What I meant was does the amount of combat supply and fuel you get per turn depend on port supply (edit:capacity), and if so how is that calculated.
PKH

Post by PKH »

After playing through the historic campaign (got a minor victory as allies in the end after supplies dropping to ~25% for most of the rest of the game), it seems that having supply near the front is more important than overall port capacity since there is a cost increase based on distance. I kept Taranto and Naples staffed too long I think, and although I had ports on the front lines on both coasts and 1000 capacity overall, I was getting hardly any supplies. I will try to staff more ports near the front and see how that goes. I'm still not sure how this works.

Can each port only supply up to it's capacity per turn, so that it is beneficial to have multiple ports near the front line staffed ?
tombo

Post by tombo »

Hi PKH,

can u provide some other highlights to your gaming experience here? ...Battle resolution, the WEGo process, reports, AI, etc.

thx
zgrant

Post by zgrant »

ORIGINAL: PKH

I'm aware supply spreads from ports. What I meant was does the amount of combat supply and fuel you get per turn depend on port supply (edit:capacity), and if so how is that calculated.

I think I understand your question and the answer is no, but Frank, please correct me if I'm wrong. I went through the development forum and this post from Frank might be helpful to you.
From Frank:

First, movement. The amount of fuel required as you move is based on movement points and how those points are modified by supply.
If you have over 90% supply, then you use 1 fuel point per move point.
If your supply situation is between 70% and 90% then your fuel consumption is 20% more than your total move points.
If you have between 40% and 70% supply then your fuel consumption is 50% more than your total move points.
If you have between 16% and 40% supply then your fuel consumption is 200% more than your total move points.
If you have less than 16% supply then your fuel consumption is 300% more than your total move points.

How does terrain affect supply? Think of for example Allied supply emanating from the port of Naples. The supply module looks at each of the 6 adjacent hexes and modifies the supply from Naples based on terrain and sets the supply value of each of those hexes. Then each of those hexes does the same for hexes adjacent to them and so on until every Allied hex has been treated in this manner.

As to the particulars, let’s say a hex has a supply value of 150. One of the adjacent hexes contains a road so 90% of that supply value would continue into that hex. 90% of 150 is 135. So that becomes the supply value. Another adjacent hex might contain rough terrain and have no road, so only 40% of the supply value is carried over, for a value of 60.
If a hex has already been determined to have a supply value but a new trace from a new source would have a higher value then the lower value is replaced with the higher value. Weather adds to terrain problems. So for example if its raining then every hex incurs a greater penalty.

To be able to receive a combat supply point, the unit must have at least 16% supply.

The game calculates your fuel and combat supply points each turn and you can see that info in the supply window. I have no idea how that is calculated. How well those fuel and combat supplies get to your units is based on supply capacity. So no, your ports or supply cities don't determine how much supply you receive, but they play a crucial role in how well your supplies reach your units.

I hope that helps.
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

PKH, the Allied theatre supply and fuel capacity increases gradually until August 1944 at which point it begins to gradually decline until the end of 1944. There are no increases or decreases in 1945.

The ports and beaches act as the portal of getting those supplies to the front. Generally the further a port is from the front the greater the cost of getting supplies to the front. Although ports like Taranto and Naples can project their supply over a greater distance than small ports like Sapri or Terracina.

I just hope its clear that the theatre level supply and fuel capacity is not affected by ports under control. The effect of ports is in getting supply to the units.

PKH

Post by PKH »

If I understand correctly, ports only affect the cost of combat supply and movement based on the supply % shown in the map overlay ? The total amount of supplies per turn is determined in the scenario with some random variation as indicated in the manual ?

My experience in the campaign was that at around turn 70 as allies, my supplies per turn dropped very low. Maybe 4-8 supply and 40-50 fuel per turn with my slider setting at the time. I could do very little for the next 40 turns.
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

Yes that's correct.

For a rough idea the Allies go from 45 theatre capacity to 70 in May of '44 and then it begins to drop at the end of August '44 down to 55 theatre capacity by the end of '44.

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”