Unit iconography

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
FroBodine

Unit iconography

Post by FroBodine »

The manual shows a unit counter, then describes the various parts of the counter. However, some things are not shown or explained at all.

1. There are two numbers, 14(14) for example. What do these two numbers mean?

2. The description says there is a line under the Nato symbol that shows combat strength. There is no line on the counter example in the manual, though. Can someone please clarify this?

3. The description also says there is a line at the bottom of the counter that shows disruption. Again, there is no line on the counter example in the manual. Can someone please clarify this, too?

Thanks!
Tamas

RE: Unit iconography

Post by Tamas »

It is indeed not made clear, but the two lines only show when they are valid, ie. when the unit is non-max strength and has disruption. Although on second thought, I am not sure if the strength-indicator appears correctly at the moment. The disruption one does display fine (and in fact is an important information to have!)

Luckily, though, the number you asked is the strength of the unit. First number is the actual, second (in parentheses) is the maximum possible. So you can always see if a unit needs replacements or not.

I hope this helps!
PKH

Post by PKH »

1. The numbers are the current and max strength points.
2. I don't think there is a line for strength, despite what the manual says.
3. There is a red line / dots which appears at the bottom which shows disruption.

There are also some letters which appear in the upper left corner which I haven't found an explanation for. The manual could use some work I think.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Are the developers even on this forum supporting their game? I have not seen any response from a developer yet, to any of the early questions.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I have a definite interest in this title, but the lack of early support is a major concern. I've been buying Matrix titles for years and this release is the poorest I've seen. There was almost no PR and as the above post mentions, the developer has not appeared to answer questions.
I hope that this changes so I can feel more confident about a purchase.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

I have a definite interest in this title, but the lack of early support is a major concern. I've been buying Matrix titles for years and this release is the poorest I've seen. There was almost no PR and as the above post mentions, the developer has not appeared to answer questions.
I hope that this changes so I can feel more confident about a purchase.

Frank, the developer should be around the Internet and this forum again soon. :)
In the meantime, ask away, me or the betas may be able to answer your questions/concerns.

The game is very stable and runs smooth, and in my opinion have a decidedly low learning curve compared to the details and simulation going on "under the hood".
Also check out my AAR if you need more info on the gameplay. ;)

stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Tamas,
Thanks for your reply.
I have the impression from another post that there is no sound in this game. Is that correct? I also have the impression that the manual leaves a lot of needed game playing info out. Is there a plan to update the manual?
Thank you.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

Tamas,
Thanks for your reply.
I have the impression from another post that there is no sound in this game. Is that correct? I also have the impression that the manual leaves a lot of needed game playing info out. Is there a plan to update the manual?
Thank you.

There is indeed no sound. I understand it is something unusual, but functionality-wise the game does not lose anything.

The manual I believe is quite alright to teach you the game and get you started, and contains important background info on how the game works.
In addition you have the introductory scenario, and the two together should get you up and running quickly. It managed to do it for me. :)
Based on the feedback here it may miss some additional information to make newcomers be comfortable with the game quickly, so we will definitely look into improving that.

Also when you start playing and are wondering about the more advanced tactics and consideration, you should check out the War Room here in the PFE forums, there are some excellent tips already posted.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Do the counters display movement allowances? Or do all units have the same number of movement points?
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Do the counters display movement allowances? Or do all units have the same number of movement points?

When you select a unit and the move order you will see which hexes it can reach. This is, by the way, is also influenced by available supply and fuel, not just movement points and terrain.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

I'm in the camp of good (settle for adequate) documentation is a must and shows respect developers have for end users. To me the documentation is in a poor state. Guessing corners had to be cut and usually documentation suffers with this regard. Also, wonder if the development team were the ones to put the docs together, this can also lead to poor documentation as well.

Question about variants: how many are there? Those, 'what if' scenario in which other units ground and air might have been move from other theaters to Italy. Seems this game, whether runs smoothly or not, could get a bit stale in repalyability fast?

At this point it's hard for me to rationalize purchasing the game, although it has peaked my interest.
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

The two numbers on the counter are current strength and maximum strength.

The line mentioned by the description no longer exists as it was replaced by putting the maximum strength on the counter. Much more useful.

The line showing disruption does appear but its not visible when there is no disruption.

The documentation issue is my fault. I should have caught the change in the counter description when I updated the manual from the original.
tombo

Post by tombo »

Frank,
can u address variants to this game SCNs or adding new scenarios to keep it fresh?

Im considering to buy (i liked your WW1 GoA very much!), and glad to see you'll cover other theaters too.

cheers.
Ralph1961

Post by Ralph1961 »

There are 6 scenarios(listed in the product description). The only "variant" would be the main campaign.
There is a historical Italian campaign which draws off more units and supply (I guess this is due to the upcoming Normandy invasion) and the other Italian campaign which puts the Allies in a stronger position but they have to advance more rapidly to win.
Overall I find it a very good game. Its easy to learn and frankly no sound isn't an issue just get your favorite music going and you are set.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

I still firmly believe that without a wide range of scenario variants as well as maybe some optional unit/vic point features the game will go stale after a few plays. By unit/vp feature, I mean an option where each side can get units from other theaters at the expense of VPs. IMO, this doesn't seem like a huge coding effort and would add a lot of replay-ability to the game.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Man what a tough audience,give Frank a break
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

I know my opinion counts as heavily biased, but basically mostly what I have been doing since starting with the game, is playing the "grand campaign" as the Allies over and over, trying to do better (my first few tries were nothing to write home about, being bogged down by being carless about supply routes etc.), and trying different strategies. The game flows quickly, the AI is good and adapts responses and tactics to player actions, so I don't see a problem with replayability.

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”