Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball (CS) v Gunnulf (US)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
Q-Ball

Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball (CS) v Gunnulf (US)

Post by Q-Ball »

Gunnulf has agreed to another round, this time with the roles reversed! I will be defending the rights of these states to secceed, and he will be defending the Union.

Houserules:

Our last game had a HR around McClellan; with the balance tipped back toward the CSA, I proposed we drop that one; he can use whomever he likes

The only HR I proposed is that troop laden transports cannot run past batteries. I posted a long item about this earlier on the forum. It never happened in the CW, so shouldn't happen in game. And it's far too easy to simply ignore or bypass major forts otherwise. The pre-war forts are easy enough to take, I don't think it's a huge burden to have to clear them first.

Initial Moves:

No maps or anything first couple months, since not much is happening, but here are my initial moves:

-In Virginia, we of course took Norfolk. We are planning an active 1861 campaign. I am building 6LB batteries, however, to use to build a FORT at Norfolk.
-Most of the Charleston units went to Memphis, where we are also concentrating all River Fleet. We have a plan for these guys.....
-I built a Missouri Militia unit at Rolla; they will burn the depot, and depart toward Springfield
-We also built all 4 Ranger units. We are going to go on a stockade burning spree. Sounds like fun!

That's pretty much all we can until units unfreeze, appear, or get built

Deo Vindice:

In case you are wondering where that came from, it's on the Confederate Seal. That, and a nice portrait of Geo Washington. Both the Confederacy and the Union claimed George as a founding father. Sort of how the PRC and Taiwan both claim Sun Yat Sen as a founding hero.

Attachments
Settomgs.jpg
Settomgs.jpg (671.71 KiB) Viewed 517 times
Ace1_slith

RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball (CSA) v Gunnulf (USA)

Post by Ace1_slith »

Usual initial moves. I presume you 'll try to grab Cairo early on?

I see you are playing with standard activation, have you considered using hidden activation?
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Ace1

Usual initial moves. I presume you 'll try to grab Cairo early on?

I see you are playing with standard activation, have you considered using hidden activation?

We are changing to hidden; I didn't know what setting was necessary.

Yes on Cairo, as you will see....

July 1861:

Virginia:

The gun sounds in Virginia; there is a large army concentrated under Patterson at Harpers Ferry.

We are sending a force to cut the rails at Frederick, MD, then concentrating a larger force under Johnston at Winchester. I hope to concentrate enough to hold Manassas, yet get Patterson without any help.

In West Virginia, the question is: Stay or go?

I have decided to go. It's not tenable at all when the weather gets bad, and I would rather focus on Harpers Ferry. I plan to leave a force at Charleston, just to cover that approach to the Valley.

Cairo:

We landed the Charleston troops at Cairo, basically as quickly as I could; early June I think is the earliest you can manage.

We destroyed some militia there, but we came JUST short of clearing the town completely.

In response, however, Lyon came down from Missouri with pretty much everything available. I probably needed to bring a CAV unit, and have them screen the region to the north. Lesson learned for next time; all of you learn from me. Lyon defeated my guys, who were low on Cohesion.

So, back to the boats and a getaway. It's probably just as well, as the Union Navy would have made it difficult to stay.

Industry Choices:

We did one Rail Cap build. We selected Arsenals in Georgia; mostly because those locations are more defensible. Building stuff in Tennessee is a BAD idea.

We built only 1 Brig for Naval Builds; mostly, I am building those monster VA Brigades for easy C-in-C early on.

I didn't pay for volunteers, despite having a fairly large money stockpile at this point. From experience, I know that Money pile dwindles over time, to where MONEY is the limitation and not anything else. I'll save my cash for later.

Bushwhacking:

Our Rangers are out, and we've torched 4 stockades already. We are at the Gold mines in Colorado; we can't take them, but by pillaging the region and launching demonstrations, I hope to seriously disrupt production. He may build a militia unit up there, which would be wise.

I intend to do alot of bushwhacking; I hope to leave no bush between Colorado and Missouri un-whacked.

Attachments
Picture1861.jpg
Picture1861.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 517 times
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

It looks funny seeing a river running through Denver... if it plays more than a decorative role that inacurate, im not sure but I thought rivers where part of the combate resolutions..
In Denver and the front range the stream flows very very low..

But
It is cool that this game includes the sideshows of the west ...
I am tempted by these aars to invest some time in this game.. looks fun..

AND THANKS for the AARS keep it up boys
"Tanks forward"
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

It looks funny seeing a river running through Denver... if it plays more than a decorative role that inacurate, im not sure but I thought rivers where part of the combate resolutions..
In Denver and the front range the stream flows very very low..

But
It is cool that this game includes the sideshows of the west ...
I am tempted by these aars to invest some time in this game.. looks fun..

AND THANKS for the AARS keep it up boys

Thanks, and you're right, I've been to Denver, and I don't remember any kind of river that was an impediment to movement. It is a barrier in-game, but ultimately it doesn't matter, since any fighting in Colorado is likely to be very low intensity. The "Troops" I have there is really just a unit of 150 Rangers....very small.

August 1861:

The real shooting has started, including a pretty nasty little battle around Harpers Ferry.

Missouri:

The main body of our forces has reached Jeff City; we also have taken Bloomington, MO, and the Farms there. I'm sure we won't hold it, but we'll collect a few bucks and conscripts while we are at it.

Lyon's forces, fresh from clearing Cairo, are back in St. Louis. Morrell has taken Rolla, and I wonder if there will be a push toward Springfield. I may end up abandoning Jeff City, well see.

One early CSA decision is how much to devote to Missouri. Do you commit enough to threaten St. Louis, or just go the bare minimum? I am tending toward the latter. I built a single brigade of infantry in Springfield, but most of McCulloch's army of the West I sent to Ft. Donelson. Nearly all of my early builds are in Virginia.

Ultimately, what are we fighting for out there? Aside from Jeff City, there are no production structures south of there. There are VPs at Springfield and Fayetteville, but those cities are also a dead-end for the Union; an overland campaign from Fayetteville to Little Rock is not really very feasible, at least not until the Union Navy can get supplies into the Arkansas River.

I will harass and continue to make noise, but ultimately I hope to keep the Union occupied with basically ad-hoc forces of Missouri State Guard, Indians, and various pieces.

Kentucky:

Camp Dick Robinson happened, but KY Secession did not. I suppose that's that on that one? If so that helps the CSA for sure.

I still will keep a large force at Donelson, as I know the Union can still sail THROUGH Kentucky.

We are also building up forces at Island No. 10, which is an obvious point to assault.

Far West:

The stockade burning spree continues, with 3 more up in flames. We are also hanging around the Gold Mines in Colorado; we can't take it with Rangers, but Confederate control is slowly moving upward, which can't help the $$$$ take. We also bought Demonstrations in Northern California and San Francisco.

I am sending a Ranger unit and some Cav to Tuscon; we want to hold it when the Arizona Territory event fires.

We are also sending M. Jeff Thompson out west as another leader; selecting him because of his low supply consumption trait, handy in an area without a ton of supply

Virginia:

Our first major battle sees Joe Johnston stalement vs. a surprisingly large force of Federals. We kind of won the war on that one though, as Banks is retreating out of the region, so we should take Harpers easily next turn.

Then what? If Banks retreats into the Mountains, rather than toward Frederick, Gunnulf will probably freak out a bit, because I will have more Rebs within striking distance of Washington DC than he has to defend it. We may try to take advantage and attack Alexandria, not sure, but keeping the Union on the defensive early in the east, even if we don't take Washington (and that's really tough vs. a good opponent) is a good thing. If I can finish 1861 occupying Alexandria, Leesburg, and Harpers, that will be a very good campaign, IMO.

Attachments
Picture1861.jpg
Picture1861.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 517 times
Ol Choctaw

Post by Ol Choctaw »

The one thing about Missouri that I find important is the troops from the force pool. The same holds true for Kentucky.

The south has a much more limited force pool than the Union. The longer you can hold on to them the better as you build their forces.

Also now in 1.03 you can build forces around New Madrid and take them out by river. That should also help in the defense of island 10.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Just as a historical note.  The Platte river in Colorado, at the time of the war, and even up until WWI, was significantly higher than it is now.  You could even get some light riverboats up it in the spring [;)]

Love the AAR's.  Keep them coming!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Sept 1861:

Basically pretty quiet, except for Missouri and Virginia.

Missouri:

Lyon's army occupies Rolla, with a far larger force than I have at Jeff City. Sumner attempts to take Springfield, but is repulsed by forces I have there.

I don't think I can stay in Jeff City; we may fall back on Springfield before too long. We'll see. I am building a handful of Missouri units, but not making a big commitment there.

River Defenses:

We are building up forces at New Madrid, Island 10, and Ft. Donelson; we'll have about a division each eventually. Hollins commands the river fleet, which will likely be inferior to whatever the Federals send downriver. Gunnulf built some Tinclads, which is smart; I like them better than Ironclads, actually.

East:

The main event is in the east; we pushed Banks's army of 25,000 basically out of the way, opening a path to Washington and Baltimore. I am certain panic is spreading in Gunnulf HQ. I don't think I can take DC, but I hope to put enough of a Skeer in to get Alexandria, and hold it all winter.

Regional Cards:

I'm trying these more; I've used alot of Demonstration cards on New York, Baltimore, California, among other places.

Attachments
Picture1861.jpg
Picture1861.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 517 times
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

quick question, is there any way the rebs can win game early with a few errors on th union side and some lucky or timely victories in the field?
"Tanks forward"
veji1

Post by veji1 »

Interesting situation. The problem with going with a probing attack towards Washington, with the goal of making him leave Alexandria, is that it has to be credible enough. Wouldn't a move to Annapolis/Baltimore be more threatening and ensure him leaving Alexandria ? What are you doing with all the railways in the region ? keeping them usable to ferry forces or destroying everything.
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Oct 1861:

Maryland:

I thought I had Baltimore, but I JUST missed. Johnston nearly cleared it, but Banks shows up with a large army. A direct assault now on Baltimore is a no-go, we're going to see if I can beat him to Alexandria, but if not, I guess I prevented any sea invasions. Gunnulf HQ has committed lots of units to the east.

At least we destroyed 2 Cav regts at Baltimore.

One more KEY thing happened: EK Smith was promoted to 2*. This is huge, because the CSA is so short of 2* in the first place, and EK Smith is actually pretty decent, at 4-3-2. He'll be an early Corps commander for sure.

New Madrid:

A small force under Ruggles took Charleston, MO, and observed a large army building at Cairo. Grant promptly crossed the river, and pushed Ruggles out. A move on Island 10 can't be too far behind.

We have a 7000-man division there now under Winder, and will boost that with another division once I can find a leader and more units to send.

Missouri:

Lyon's forces and Sumner force me back on Springfield, MO.

Attachments
Picture1861.jpg
Picture1861.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 526 times
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Really good Confederate summer campaign in the east [8D] If am not mistaken, some Union forces are missing, I would say (I mean in the Potomac Front). Do you know where he diverted them?
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Really good Confederate summer campaign in the east [8D] If am not mistaken, some Union forces are missing, I would say (I mean in the Potomac Front). Do you know where he diverted them?

Thanks, but I think it could have been a little better. I didn't get Alexandria, which is key; I'm going to regret not getting it. I just think I did OK, not wonderful. At least I forced Gunnulf to halt any thought of sea invasions or other moves like that, and keep every rifle in the east.

So far, I have not seen huge concentrations of US troops, except for Cairo area

Missouri:

Though we retreated from Jeff City, our 13,000 troops under Price/McCulloch deal a sharp rebuke to Lyon's 10,000 troops in pursuit. We inflict 1500 casualties, and force him back on Jeff City.

Snow now covers Missouri, so I am going to guess that will be it for the winter.

Far West:

M. Jeff Thompson has a force of 3500 approaching Albequerque; I anticipate taking it, then moving to Santa Fe. We'll see then what kind of builds Gunnulf has going out there.

I've built 1 Texas Brigade, and some Cavalry; not a ton. I also built 2 Mounted Volunteers at Tuscon.

New Madrid:

2 Divisions under Grant are at Charleston, MO. We have 400 AV at New Madrid, not enough to stop a determined assault. We are putting together some builds in Memphis.

Virginia:

See below; pretty much says it all. I may make an attack on Annapolis; I needed Joe Johnston to recover at Frederick. I do have to worry about getting cut-off there on an attack toward Harpers, through Leesburg, but I don't think he wants to uncover Alexandria to do that.

Attachments
Picture1861.jpg
Picture1861.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 526 times
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

I look forward to this daily now!
"Tanks forward"
veji1

Post by veji1 »

QBall, I just love you AARs man. I know the turn is already played, but wouldn't an envelopping move via Montgomery to destroy Hamilton's stack have been the right manouver ? I don't think he will dare leave the safety of his entrenchments in Alexandria, so it is a chance to wack some Union stacks.
veji1

Post by veji1 »

QBall, what would have been fun in your PBEM would have been if both you and Gunnulf had agreed to triple the odds of leaders' losses, to make it more historical and give both of you extra headaches.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: veji1

QBall, I just love you AARs man. I know the turn is already played, but wouldn't an envelopping move via Montgomery to destroy Hamilton's stack have been the right manouver ? I don't think he will dare leave the safety of his entrenchments in Alexandria, so it is a chance to wack some Union stacks.

This is from a turn or two back? Hamilton had a valid retreat route to Alexandria, so this would not have worked. He coudn't have been enveloped. Ideally, I might have sent Joe Johnston and Beauregard into the region from two different directions and crushed him, but they would have been uncoordinated, so I didn't try. Instead, I kept Joe north of the Potomac and tried something else.....

Dec 1861:

A mixed bag for our young nation this turn, as a victory in Maryland is accompanied by an impending setback.

Maryland:

See shots below; Joe Johnston takes Annapolis. That doesn't mean anything, other than he destroyed the 8,000 man garrison. We gained 1 NM. The other thing we gained are the fixed guns; those are going to come in handy, so I am railing them out to Winchester. It's going to take a couple months to haul them overland to the Manassas Gap RR, but afterward I'll have some mobile Coastal artillery instead of having to build it.

Defensive Forts:

Speaking of which, what forts do I have planned?

I have built a fort at Norfolk; I think this is an early one you have to build. I will likely send the Coastal guns here.

I am planning to build another one with 6Lbers at New Orleans; this is a fallback once the head of the passes is gone.

I am going to use a Redoubt card at Plaquemine; maybe I am paranoid from the last game where I used this route, but a fort here serves another purpose; it's yet another point on the Mississippi, above New Orleans in case that falls.

I wish I had more redoubt cards, I would use another at Hopefield, AK. This region is the key to Memphis, and another block on the Mississippi. Maybe I'll spend the artillery.

In terms of guns, I would prefer not to build Coastal guns; I plan to build Colombiads. They are not as strong, but can serve dual purposes.

I really welcome veteran comments on this fortification plan, particularly on guns....what do you guys do?

New Madrid:

See below for situation around New Madrid.

One decision I made is that I am sending Longstreet to this theater. Why? Well, he is the defensive master, and I anticipate fighting alot of defensive fights here. With the promotion of EK Smith, I have another Corps commander I can use in VA that's pretty good. Lee also boosts his subordinates, so may as well use lesser commanders in Virginia (though I am keeping Stonewall due to FAST MOVE. Before long, I am going to be sending Joe Johnston or Beuregard out here too.

Far West:

This is another area I would like feedback. Consider this a bit of a strategy discussion.

I was active early, and I suppose it did what I wanted it to: Gunnulf apparently built extra forces. I see additional Militia units in NM, and he has concentrated all US Regulars there.

The California Column consists of 8400 men; all the CA troops, plus 5 US Regular Regts. I know there are another 7000 to 10000 in New Mexico, with a decent amount of US Artillery.

I have built 2 Texas Brigades, and about 3 Cav Regts. I can assemble maybe 8500 total. I either need to build more, or plan a ramp down. I am considering the latter. What do you guys think?

With the updates, the only items worth fighting for are Santa Fe and El Paso, 1 pt. each. There are no production structures. I don't think it's worth an investment. In fact, I wonder if I can make Gunnulf strand his forces.

I have already burned nearly all stockades in western KS and Nebraska, and all stockades between Denver and Taos. It's a long empty walk now through US Territory, so once he wraps up New Mexico, it won't be easy to redeploy all those troops.

I plan, for now, to delay him in the hopes that he can't feed all these guys. I wonder if he can. I am torching stockades in New Mexico to eliminate supply sources, so he only has the towns. I hope to starve him out.

If that doesn't work, I will resist until forced, then likely retreat into Texas. I will burn most of the stockades in Texas to discourage pursuit, and redeploy my forces on the Texas coast, probably keeping Rangers and Cav in empty Texas to discourage raiders.

What do you guys think?

Attachments
Picture1861.jpg
Picture1861.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 526 times
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

It will be an interesting 62!
"Tanks forward"
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Jan 1862:

Relatively quiet, but nearly a disaster as Joe Johnston was stuck in Annapolis

Maryland:

I had hoped to rail Joe Johnston out, but I think I lost JUST enough rail cap that his orders were cancelled. That was nearly a disaster, but we bailed out of it by defeating Butler at Frederick. We gained 1 NM actually out of it, so not bad, but staying in Maryland was not going to be an option.

This messed up my plans a bit, as I spent a month moving backwards rather than attempting an attack on Loudon or Alexandria, so I was not satisfied with that. Still, got some results from that invasion of Maryland.

Island 10:

I hold it with a large force under Longstreet now, but Grant has a depot at New Madrid. I anticipate a move to Osceola, which I can't defend. I am resting Hardee's men at Memphis, and forming another force to maybe occupy Hopefield. It's a bit desperate along the river at the moment.

Far West:

I am still burning stockades, but the California column will easily take Tuscon from me, which will cost me 5 NM when that happens

Attachments
Picture1861.jpg
Picture1861.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 526 times
moni kerr

Post by moni kerr »

Always leave some unused rail capacity before ending your turn. Every turn you will lose 3% of your rail cap due to attrition and this will occur before any movement. There is also a chance to have a rail accident which results in addition rail cap loss. I leave at least 5% rail cap unused to absorb these losses. Otherwise you risk a great deal of embarrassment.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

Return to “After Action Report”