Is there a map editor?

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Xenomorph

Is there a map editor?

Post by Xenomorph »

I haven't yet bought case blue but it looks great. I really like building my own maps and the game's info page states there's a "full scenario editor" but I'm wondering if that means you can create completely new maps. I've seen games that by "map editor" they mean you can simply "cut up" the game's existing map into smaller pieces. Can someone advise me if it's possible to create your own maps from "scratch"? Thanks in advance!
joeyeti

RE: Is there a map editor?

Post by joeyeti »

Yes you can, but the editor is in many aspects a "low level work", i.e. for many aspects of a scenario you have to first understand how things work in the editor and only then you can create them. The basics, like creating a map, should not be an issue, but from there on... Note, I did not dive into the editor myself, but from just looking at it I can say the above.

Yes, if you are dedicated, you can do that all. But do not expect point and click, drag-and-drop with simple event editing.
Joe
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

The editor is very flexible though. It could probably model any blitzkrieg-like scenario, or even trench warfare. I for one like that it is that flexible.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Hugolin

Post by Hugolin »

It seems however very few people mod for CB, which is disappointing since it's such a good game. But from what I read, the editor is not that simple, like said joeyeti, you will need dedication - but if you come up with something good, we will love you![8D]
Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph »

Thanks for the responses! I'm still unclear if you're saying the map editor itself is difficult or it's just that the scenario editor in its entirety is rather beastly. I don't mind (too much) the work that goes into creating a scenario so long as I can pretty easily create a map to get started. For me, A completed map helps visualize what I'm hoping to accomplish scenario-wise. I find that if just getting the map itself created is a massive project, then I'll lose interest. I'm betting that a lot of folks here are familiar with the TOAW3 game. The map editor in it is VERY simple; just choose the terrain type you want and start clicking on the hexes where you want it. Creating the OOB etc to go with the map is another matter. I guess it's just personal preference but if anyone can fill me in on the difficulty of just creating the maps themselves I'd appreciate it. Thanks again!
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

As far as I understand it the map creation/editing is not the hard part, so if you are aiming just to edit or create a map, you should be ok when you check the editor and its manual out.
What is harder is to create new units from scratch, create "regimes" for them and editing the Events to be triggered in the scenario.

This is due to using obscure names and definitions etc and also due to the UI of the editor not being the best organized or intuitive piece of machinery. If I can compare to something then it would be like coding in basic but powerful C (for Decisive Campaigns) versus coding in a more intuitive and readable (but less powerful) Basic variant for other games.
Joe
Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph »

Thx for your help! I know this one's a longshot since it seems no one's messed around with the editor too much but... What about the possibility of creating a map and then importing an entire oob from another scenario into it? Is that do-able? I'm likely to purchase this game but I can't at the moment bc my regular laptop is in the hands of tech support guys. I'm just trying to learn as much about it to help me tip the scales and so any input is much appreciated!
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

I just purchased this, and am messing with the editor also. A lot is not covered in the manual, such as very much about the event engines, etc... but the map part is straightforward like TOAW3.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”