Hey where's the sound

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
HR2

Hey where's the sound

Post by HR2 »

Ok it's a war game. But a little sound for movement and attack so I know I'm not sitting in solitary confinement :)

Nice looking. Just delved into Sicily recklessly for a few minutes to see it and and boom defeats.
Guess a few rule reading might be in order:)

Good emphasis on supply
radic202

RE: Hey where's the sound

Post by radic202 »

I have no sound either, if someone knows how to get it to work? I would be grateful if they would share.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

I don't think it has sound.
GBS

Post by GBS »

It doesn't need sound. I haven't had to think this hard in a while, trying to balance having enough fuel to keep my troops moving against providing enough war materials (combat supply) to fight. I own almost every game listed on the forum and some have been disappointing, but not this one. Two hours seems like 5 minutes if you know what I mean.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
PKH

Post by PKH »

It would be nice to have some sound I think.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Agreed. Every game needs some kind of sound. Even some clicks to let you know that you have seleted a unit or made a move command. Marching, rumbling tanks, and gunfire are also nice, but not absolutely necessary, I suppose.

I'm getting the feeling that this game is taking the minimalist approach.
HR2

Post by HR2 »

I agree no sound is not a deal killer but just a little here and there would be nice. Just to know I'm playing a game ; )
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Really, please tell me this is a bug??? Wtf no sound? Even the SSI games back in 80's had sound. Curious to know the rational of developers on this subject. Ohh, but that's right from previous post it's understood they not active on forum for their own game? [:-][:-]

This development group is not going to last long if they don't adhere to even the basic 'best practices' around game development and support. I hope they can get act together as this product still might have a chance to be saved.
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Find some nice classical music on ITunes and loop tank/infantry fighting sounds and you are set..
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

Let's sum it up: no Sound, No Tutorial, a cheesy (incomplete) Manual.

Sorry but, after the Scaling Problems in Lock n' Load, the Dump AI in Panthers in the Fog, and so on and so forth, i don't cough up the Money for the next Banana Game. (ripens at the Customer's Self).

Regards from sunny Germay.
“If a man does his best, what else is there?”
― George S. Patton Jr.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

I always turn my sound off on any game that I play! It's not a deal breaker for me. I just need to recover from spending 100 plus dollars on World in Flames! Nice game, but it takes more time to put in than I'm ready to commit to!
Tony
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

I didn't put sound into the game because I didn't think it would have added anything. Its just not the kind of game that cries out for sound effects.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I didn't put sound into the game because I didn't think it would have added anything. Its just not the kind of game that cries out for sound effects.

I am happy with this. I always turn the sound off for this kind of game. I use sound in games like Close Combat. Strategy/Operational games don't need it IMO.

I would rather the resources that would be spent on sound to be spent on other game enhancments.
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Well you are the designer, so you design the way you want it to be, but I am the purchaser, the user and the "recommend-er" and without any kind of sound (a simple march of a platoon, rumbling of tank engines, roar of airplanes or at the very least a "ding" when I click on a icon), I simply can't tell all my friends about it because to me, no sound means incomplete game. I always turn the music in a game off. Currently I simply feel like I am staring a "bland" game (and not at all what the game is)waiting for something to happen.........In order to fully immerse myself in a computer game, I must be able to hear something as we only have sight and sound (barring the mouse or KB clicks) to use to immerse ourselves.

And No I wont play some Waltzes on the background or any Russian Military choir music to enjoy the game.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

If sound doesn't bring something essential to game play, it's a waste of code and HD space. By essential I mean assurance that a unit moved, fired, etc.
Jim Cobb
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I do not see why no sound is a problem. To each their own.

Like some people I turn off all game sounds on my wargames and listen to music.

I can understand not liking the game because there is no sound but I cannot see where you can say it is incomplete.

This is one of the best pc wargames to come out, if you really enjoy playing a hex wargame on the pc.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

+1
Jim Cobb
tombo

Post by tombo »

sulla...can u expand on your comment "This is one of the best pc wargames to come out, if you really enjoy playing a hex wargame on the pc."

its early for that statement, but i will listen as u played it.

Im on the fence but like si-move games.

cheers
budd

Post by budd »

I like the wego system and the sound thing may not be a deal breaker but it isn't a positive for me either. Some music i turn off, but i usually have the sound effects on. You mean there is no way for anybody to add any sound at all, even modders? I wonder if the sound thing is divided along the lines of who boards games and who doesn't.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Exactly what Jim said . . . the essential sound effects are mandatory, in my opinion. A click to confirm you selected something or clicked an action. A sound to confirm you successfully moved a unit. Stuff like that.

I am surprised how many folks don't care that there is no sound. I have NEVER, and I mean never in 34 years that I can remember, played a computer game that had zero sound. Well, maybe on the Commodore PET back in 1981 or something.

Anyway, this game does look interesting, and I look forward to more reviews and comments about gameplay. It is hard for me to get past the lack of tutorial, poor manual, and no sound, but I want to try.

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”