AI Russians seems pathetic and flees to easily

Close Combat - Cross of Iron is based on Atomic Games award Winning Close Combat Series. Close Combat is a real time game were you take command of German or Soviet squads on the Eastern Front during World War II. This version is being developed by CSO Simtek and will include many new features and improvements.
Agathosdaimon

AI Russians seems pathetic and flees to easily

Post by Agathosdaimon »

So I updated COI hoping it might make the AI in the base game even slightly a challenge but no -

i am no pro at CC games but then again who needs to be with COI - i just played two battles from the kursk operation as the germans and literally did nothing more then just order all my units to move forward - just all move forward, no tactics, no concern for danger and then after doing nothing else my men easily massacreed any russians they saw and soon the russians had fled - major victory and my input was merely academic at best.

why is the AI in COI so horrendously absent still? in the base game i should say, if one adds a mod the ai is suddenly very good, but i am disappointed the base game is lacking with the need for the player to really do anything at all.

it was a new update wasnt it? what exactly are the substantial AI improvements mentioned?

just another question - are there planes and off map artillery in the game? i notice in the support one can get AA guns
Werewolf13

RE: AI Russians seems pathetic and flees to easily

Post by Werewolf13 »

haven't played COI in a while but from what I recall the early scenarios are fairly easy. They get more difficult as the Grand Campaign progresses.

Then again - even though I've been playing wargames since 1962 - I've never considered myself a very competent player so the getting harder thing that I perceive may not represent reality for many if not most.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
SteveMcClaire

RE: AI Russians seems pathetic and flees to easily

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Cross of Iron uses a different campaign system than the more-recent CC releases, and does not have support for air strikes or artillery support.

The AI in any game is rarely going to be a match for an expert player, especially if the player is playing with superior forces or equipment. In the specific operation you mentioned, the Germans typically have 2-4 tanks to start with, while the Soviets have 1-2 AT guns and the rest infantry.

The AI improvements on the Cross of Iron product features web page is fairly specific about the nature of the improvements that were made over the original Close Combat 3 (upon which it was based) -- they are primarily focused on getting rid of specific problems like vehicles twisting back and forth, infantry consistently crawling towards the enemy while being fired upon, etc.

Steve

Return to “Close Combat - Cross of Iron”