One question arising.

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
GBS

One question arising.

Post by GBS »

Just played the Sicily scenario to try to get a feel for how to play. There are gray target shaped icons that appear on hexes during play and I haven't been able to locate an explanation for them in the manual. What do these signify? That's all for now. I can tell that a good understand of supply, fuel and combat supply and how they affect the game is going to be needed.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
PKH

RE: One question arising.

Post by PKH »

I'm pretty sure those are fortified hexes.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Yes, you probably mean fortifications. The German player can buy these (just like the Allied player buys amphibious points), and then can order his units to fortify as their action for the turn, placing a fortification to their hex.
zgrant

Post by zgrant »

Tamas is correct, these are fortifications.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

This seems like a pretty standard thing to have explained in the manual, but apparently it is missing. How is the manual overall? Does it explain all aspects of the game, especially supply and the logistical stuff in the game, that seem critical to this design?

GBS

Post by GBS »

I would call the manual rudimentary.
R. E. Lee

Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I admit to being spoiled looking for tutorial scenarios in most games I purchase and in this case, it would have been nice to have one. The Sicily campaign is a good starting point of course, but due to the mechanics and UI, a lot of manual handholding will be necessary...
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

That is too bad. A basic manual and no tutorial. I guess I will skip this one. These things are essential, in my opinion, and should have as much attention given to them as the core game.

Oh well.
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

That is too bad. A basic manual and no tutorial. I guess I will skip this one. These things are essential, in my opinion, and should have as much attention given to them as the core game.

Oh well.

I understand what you are saying, but I found a quick review of the pdf manual and making a few notes (I always need a condensed reference sheet for all games I play), and the mechanics are easy to learn.

I did three quick starts to the Sicily Scenario and inside 1 hour figured out from my mistakes what works and does not work with invasions. A little trial and error here. The UI is functional and easy on the eyes.

I then started a fourth game and landed with about 1/3 of my forces at Syracuse. Expanded the beachhead, added workers to the port, brought in reinforcements over the next two turns. Loaded up with combat supply and upped the ground support and went to work attacking German and Italian positions with a focus of moving up the coast road.

On turn 16 captured Messina and a decisive victory. I believe the AI was set to balanced.

Game time a little over 1 hour. An a very satisfying game experience. Quick, challenging, and rewarding.

This is a very intriguing title. A fair bit of depth hidden in easy to learn game mechanics. I imagine the combat modifiers along with supply challenges are what are going to drive good game play. It has the potential to really shine in PBEM. Not degrading the AI, just need more games to judge the AI.

A demo of just the Sicily campaign would help to bring a lot of players on the fence, maybe decide to buy the game imho.

Thanks for another great war game, just wanted to offer some quick comments.
GBS

Post by GBS »

ORIGINAL: comsolut

ORIGINAL: jglazier

Oh well.

I understand what you are saying, but I found a quick review of the pdf manual and making a few notes (I always need a condensed reference sheet for all games I play), and the mechanics are easy to learn.

I did three quick starts to the Sicily Scenario and inside 1 hour figured out from my mistakes what works and does not work with invasions. A little trial and error here. The UI is functional and easy on the eyes.

I then started a fourth game and landed with about 1/3 of my forces at Syracuse. Expanded the beachhead, added workers to the port, brought in reinforcements over the next two turns. Loaded up with combat supply and upped the ground support and went to work attacking German and Italian positions with a focus of moving up the coast road.

On turn 16 captured Messina and a decisive victory. I believe the AI was set to balanced.

Game time a little over 1 hour. An a very satisfying game experience. Quick, challenging, and rewarding.

This is a very intriguing title. A fair bit of depth hidden in easy to learn game mechanics. I imagine the combat modifiers along with supply challenges are what are going to drive good game play. It has the potential to really shine in PBEM. Not degrading the AI, just need more games to judge the AI.

A demo of just the Sicily campaign would help to bring a lot of players on the fence, maybe decide to buy the game imho.

Thanks for another great war game, just wanted to offer some quick comments.

THIS!

I agree totally with comsolut and jglazier i think you will be making a mistake but that is just my opinion.
R. E. Lee

FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I will keep an eye on this. It does look good. I am just a stickler for a good manual and tutorial, and I think it is laziness to not put the effort into them.

However, I like a good game, and I have a brain which I'm willing to use to learn a good system. I appreciate the positive feedback.

How many scenarios are there, and what is the length of each of them, please?
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Remember, that you can download the manual from the PFE product page.

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”