New WIF Update v1.1.5 Now Available!

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Andrew Loveridge

New WIF Update v1.1.5 Now Available!

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

This corrects some issues with Supply, adds a new Tutorial Video, along with other bug fixes and changes. It is available thru the Menu Update link or you can download it from the product page, http://www.matrixgames.com/products/296/downloads/

Change History:

V1.1.5 – February 24, 2014
  • Added Tutorial #13 Production Planning.

V1.1.4 – February 24, 2014

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a problem so units can now trace Supply overseas (optional rule Limited Overseas Supply: ON) to a secondary supply source using convoys belonging to a cooperating major power. This change affects German units in northern Africa which need to use Italian convoys in the Eastern Med to reach a German HQ in Salonika when the Eastern Med and Italian Coast do not have Axis convoys present.
  • Fixed a problem with supply overseas (optional rule Limited Overseas Supply: ON) where cooperating major powers were not being checked for overseas supply paths under certain circumstances, leaving HQs and units out of supply. This change affects Italian HQs in northern Africa which need to use Italian convoys in the Eastern Med to reach the port of Athens and rail lines there from leading to a primary supply source in Italy. In this example, the Eastern Med and Italian Coast do not have Axis convoys present.
  • Fixed a problem with using the Caspian Sea for an overseas supply path when playing with the optional rule Limited Overseas Supply.
  • Fixed a problem with the Commonwealth being out of supply in Morocco when using Limited Overseas Supply and the only Allied convoys in Cape St. Vincent are owned by the French.
  • Reviewed and made modifications to the Overseas Supply routines. These changes affect a few situations where units were shown out of supply erroneously.
  • Fixed a bug in the supply search algorithm so the calculation time is one or two orders of magnitude less.
  • Fixed a supply bug where a unit belonging to a minor country was able to trace a supply path through an enemy zone of control when the major power controlling the minor country was not at war with the enemy unit. For instance, with Persia controlled by France and Japan at war with the former but not at war with the latter, a Persian unit had been erroneously able to trace a supply path through a Japanese ZOC.
  • Expanded the search space for supply rail paths. This fixed a problem with units far south in South America not being able to reach ports on the northern coast of South America and from there reach an overseas primary supply source.
  • Reduced the time to recalculate supply in some situations when an HQ unit is moved.
  • For NetPlay ran tests to check on US Entry. The DOW subphase US Entry no longer occurs during Barbarossa, which is correct. The end of turn US Entry Phase generates US Entry markers correctly and lets the US player select US Entry options correctly. If anyone is still having trouble with this in NetPlay, he should create a new post on the problem in the Tech Support forum.
  • For NetPlay fixed a problem where air-to-air combat was not being processed except for ground strikes and naval air combat. The code for the other 7 air missions has now been changed so the air-to-air combat form appears on both computers and both players can interact it with as the combat is resolved.
  • For NetPlay fixed a problem so land units that are selected by the player to be destroyed or disorganized now have those effects applied to the units.
  • Enabled destroying naval units at sea which have to return to base when there are no ports available. If returning to base merely exceeds stacking limits of naval/land/air units, the naval units at sea are permitted to return to base. Then the player has to correct the overstacking by deciding which units to destroy at the end of the phase/subphase. However, if the overstacking is because of Foreign Troop Commitment Limits or non-cooperation with units already in the port, then the naval units cannot return to the port and must be destroyed "at sea".
  • Fixed a problem in the Guadalcanal scenario where the Naval Repair form would appear multiple times for each major power that had damaged naval units. Eventually that would cause a non-fatal error. Now the form appears once for each major power, permitting each of them to select one unit to repair.
  • Fixed a problem with the End-the-Phase button being enabled during the return-to-base subphase following a naval air combat with surviving air units. Clicking on the End-of-Phase button could cause a lot of trouble if the air units had not been returned to base. For instance, carrier air units would remain ‘flying' in the sea area section box instead of returning to their carriers. At the end of the turn, during the Return to Base phase, only the carriers would be able to return to base and the carrier air units would remain "at sea". The End-of- Phase button is now disabled until after all the air units have returned to base.
  • When surprise points might be used in a Port Attack or Naval Air Combat, the change to a different deciding major power is no longer made when there is nothing to decide. For instance, even though there may still be surprise points available, if the decision was to Avoid Combat, or if only 1 surprise point remains, then there is no need to change the deciding major power. That's because nothing can be done with only 1 surprise point or after deciding to avoid combat.
Cosmetic
  • Fixed a cosmetic error where the phase displayed in the Main form did not return to Naval Movement after a Naval Interception is declined and the moving side decided to stay in the sea area.
  • Fixed the Initiative form display during non-Initiative phases so it shows which side is the current phasing side. Previously under those circumstances it would show which side had won the initiative.
  • Moved a prompt in the Reform Units form so the text does not overlie the third available division for reforming a corps/army. This was purely cosmetic.
  • Added row and column numbers to the Return from Whence popup menu item label.
  • Fixed a problem in ground support so defending artillery units that are providing ground support from an adjacent hex are now shown in the Air Attack form as units adding factors to the defense. Previously the unit's factors were correctly added to the defense but the source of the ground support was unclear since the defending artillery units were not shown.
celebrindal

RE: New WIF Update v1.1.4.1 Now Available!

Post by celebrindal »

I see the reform box was looked at regarding text on the third row. Was the primary issue with reforming and having more than two units fixed? Bug was reported with axelnl..
Order is nothing more than Chaos on a bad day.

Dave
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: celebrindal

I see the reform box was looked at regarding text on the third row. Was the primary issue with reforming and having more than two units fixed? Bug was reported with axelnl..

I doubt it, Dave. Steve had a small break during Supply fixing, and did a quick fix on the cosmetics. I did not have the time to test it with this version, but assume that the MadExcept still happens.
Zorachus99

RE: New WIF Update v1.1.5 Now Available!

Post by Zorachus99 »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Loveridge

This corrects some issues with Supply, adds a new Tutorial Video, along with other bug fixes and changes. It is available thru the Menu Update link or you can download it from the product page, http://www.matrixgames.com/products/296/downloads/

Change History:

V1.1.5 – February 24, 2014
  • Added Tutorial #13 Production Planning.

V1.1.4 – February 24, 2014

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a problem so units can now trace Supply overseas (optional rule Limited Overseas Supply: ON) to a secondary supply source using convoys belonging to a cooperating major power. This change affects German units in northern Africa which need to use Italian convoys in the Eastern Med to reach a German HQ in Salonika when the Eastern Med and Italian Coast do not have Axis convoys present.
  • Fixed a problem with supply overseas (optional rule Limited Overseas Supply: ON) where cooperating major powers were not being checked for overseas supply paths under certain circumstances, leaving HQs and units out of supply. This change affects Italian HQs in northern Africa which need to use Italian convoys in the Eastern Med to reach the port of Athens and rail lines there from leading to a primary supply source in Italy. In this example, the Eastern Med and Italian Coast do not have Axis convoys present.
Cosmetic

OMG I am so re-installing! That was the bug that prevented a proper game from starting!

HUZZAH!
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

Just out of curiousity, is this patch inclusive of all the other patches?
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Fascist Dog

Just out of curiousity, is this patch inclusive of all the other patches?

The new MWIF.exe is cumulative. Sometimes there have been updates to other files, but I think the updater checks that.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

So, is it possible to NetPlay safely? Or is there an estimation on when will NetPlay be working mostly bug-free?
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

So, is it possible to NetPlay safely? Or is there an estimation on when will NetPlay be working mostly bug-free?

I am currently not testing Netplay - so I cannot give you this answer.
celebrindal

Post by celebrindal »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

ORIGINAL: celebrindal

I doubt it, Dave. Steve had a small break during Supply fixing, and did a quick fix on the cosmetics. I did not have the time to test it with this version, but assume that the MadExcept still happens.

Nope can confirm didn't fix that bug.

Did fix several other OOS files that I had saved.

Didn't fix the one where our return to base blows things up.
Order is nothing more than Chaos on a bad day.

Dave
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

I don't see anything in here about the Bermuda Triangle bug. Was hoping it was related to one of the other fixes, but nope - it's still a problem.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

I don't see anything in here about the Bermuda Triangle bug. Was hoping it was related to one of the other fixes, but nope - it's still a problem.
I worked on that yesterday and I believe I know what is wrong. The program starts by searching for connected rail hexes because they 'cost' zero Basic Path Hexes (BPH). In some cases that leads away from the ports on the eastern coast of China. The program also tries to head northeast because that is where the Japanese home cities are (primary supply). When it does reach the coast after taking this roundabout route, it has 'spent' 4 BPH and can't 'afford' the extra BPH to cross the sea. The program does eventually try better paths but the mechanism for revising the BPH cost for hexes already investigated isn't working correctly.

With any luck, I should be able to fix this in about an hour today. But that is after spending 6 hours of detailed examinations of the path calculations yesterday.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Well that's good news and sounds like great progress. But how does that explain things like placing the Philippine territorial in Manila and having it be OOS? Happens with other territorials in their capital cities as well, esp in Italian East Africa. Like the Japanese supply problems in China, a save/reload generally solves it.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Well that's good news and sounds like great progress. But how does that explain things like placing the Philippine territorial in Manila and having it be OOS? Happens with other territorials in their capital cities as well, esp in Italian East Africa. Like the Japanese supply problems in China, a save/reload generally solves it.

They inlfuence each other. The situation in China used to be only solved by the save/reload, as of the current release I see pick-up en let-go of an HQ is starting to work as well. By deleting the single bugs one by one, the bug situation unrevels.
We thought the Bermuda bug was related to the map - it was, but in a different way than we thought. Another tester was having trouble with supplying German troops attacking India - it was propably the same Bermuda bug appearing when there was a complicated railroad topography to calculate through.

There are more supply bugs on the list than the Bermuda bug, but as that one is cleared away it becomes easier to fix the next.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

They inlfuence each other. The situation in China used to be only solved by the save/reload, as of the current release I see pick-up en let-go of an HQ is starting to work as well.

No, that always worked, at least for me.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

They inlfuence each other. The situation in China used to be only solved by the save/reload, as of the current release I see pick-up en let-go of an HQ is starting to work as well.

No, that always worked, at least for me.

Than you were lucky, mine got in supply but flipped after picking them up while being OOS.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Oh, you had to pick up and then hit Esc. Basically, you had to do anything that forced the game to recalc supply, which it does as soon as you pick an HQ up.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Oh, you had to pick up and then hit Esc. Basically, you had to do anything that forced the game to recalc supply, which it does as soon as you pick an HQ up.

But now ESC is not necessary anymore.....putting them back in the same hex is enough.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

The new calculations for supply when moving an HQ are not working as intended - it's now taking *significantly* longer to calculate supply when setting an HQ down. Up to 10 seconds on the eastern front.

edit: And it appears 10 seconds was optimistic. Over a minute to move a single Japanese HQ.

Return to “World in Flames”