Pettibone's Organization Series

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

treespider

Pettibone's Organization Series

Post by treespider »

I recently invested in Volume VIII - China. Is anyone familiar with the series and what are your thoughts?
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Kereguelen

RE: Pettibone's Organization Series

Post by Kereguelen »

ORIGINAL: treespider

I recently invested in Volume VIII - China. Is anyone familiar with the series and what are your thoughts?

Never heard about this series, Amazon gives not much information about the content but it looks certainly interesting at first glance. Could you scan and post one page from your book, just to give an idea what to expect (I consider buying it).
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: Kereguelen

Never heard about this series, Amazon gives not much information about the content but it looks certainly interesting at first glance. Could you scan and post one page from your book, just to give an idea what to expect (I consider buying it).

I'll post a page this evening. The China volume is fairly extensive 600+ pages, and when combined with some of my other sources I feel I will be able to give a much more accurate accounting of the Chinese OoB than I have attempted in the past.

What I have found most useful is the comprehensive listing of commanders associated with the units, as well as any concurrent and future commands the individual may hold. These listings help provide a fair indication of the use of the unit involved.

For example, when you see that a Army Y is commanded by General X and you also see that General X is concurrently also the commander of the Sian Pacification HQ...when you combine that information with other source information you can draw the inference that Army Y was tasked with keeping an eye on the Communists rather fighting the Japanese.
Here's a link to:

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Kereguelen

Post by Kereguelen »

TOE's?
treespider

Post by treespider »

Here's a link to:

treespider

Post by treespider »

TOE's?

No TO&E's just OoB.
Here's a link to:

Kereguelen

Post by Kereguelen »

For an example here is one from Google books -

The Organization and Order of Battle of Militaries in World War II ..., Book 2

Hm, similar information about Chinese divisions as about the Soviets? The information about the Soviet divisions has ostensibly been taken directly from Sharp's books about the Red Army.
treespider

Post by treespider »

For an example here is one from Google books -

The Organization and Order of Battle of Militaries in World War II ..., Book 2

Hm, similar information about Chinese divisions as about the Soviets? The information about the Soviet divisions has ostensibly been taken directly from Sharp's books about the Red Army.

Similar... Much but I do not think all of information about the Chinese can be found in Hsu's History of the Sino-Japanese War...although the information has been organized and you can readily see the history of a particular unit all in one place.
Here's a link to:

Symon

Post by Symon »

Kinda know of it. He tracks generals and attempts to go fine from the gross. His other volumes are pretty error ridden, but he's the only one who attempts China, so what the hey, he's probably better than what's already out there.

FYI, I find it hard to trust an author that stamps his work as coming from the USSR or GRU, when the teensy, tiny, print on the bottom of page ix says it was first published in 2009. I give him a 4. He's probably worth a 6, with a good dose of Mediterranian Sea Salt.

IMHO. Ciao. JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: Symon

Kinda know of it. He tracks generals and attempts to go fine from the gross. His other volumes are pretty error ridden, but he's the only one who attempts China, so what the hey, he's probably better than what's already out there.

FYI, I find it hard to trust an author that stamps his work as coming from the USSR or GRU, when the teensy, tiny, print on the bottom of page ix says it was first published in 2009. I give him a 4. He's probably worth a 6, with a good dose of Mediterranian Sea Salt.

IMHO. Ciao. JWE

I figured as much...that's why I'm cross referencing his material with the other sources I have and interpolating from there.

Thanks for the feedback.
Here's a link to:

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”