the shame...

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

mudpi

the shame...

Post by mudpi »

Guys I'm sooo ashamed.

I'm trying to render a map of altis - the setting of the tactical battles in Arma3, into a flashpoint map with a scale of ~ 200meters to each hex. I've bought hexdraw, downloaded the map art and instructions but.... I'm struggling. First off my hexdraw seems to be misbehaving, it wont accept the serial number and I think that's why the transparency and zoom functions don't seem to be working but I've emailed the Hexdraw guys 'bout that. But my real problem is picking an appropriate scale!! matching the background map scale to the hex scale in hexdraw is one thing but then translating that to the appropriate map size and scale in flashpoint for the data mapping??? I think if I could get it separated into appropriate steps in my head it wouldn't seem so bad but getting the scale and size ranges worked out is proving to be a bit beyond me- am at the trial and error point now!
(see guessing)

how do I get
a: the hex scale I want of ~ 200meters per hex while getting a map size that will work with hexdraw and flashpoint
b: how to maintain that scale when I then move the map to flashpoint for data mapping

I might well be a lost cause but if anyone could help I'd be very grateful,

thanks guys

Mad Russian

RE: the shame...

Post by Mad Russian »

First, Flashpoint Campaigns uses a scale of 500 meters per hex. Not 200.

Are you trying to use a different scale?

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
mudpi

Post by mudpi »

yeah, and there in starts my problems : )
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

Mudpi, if you follow the map making Guide you cannot go wrong, it's extremely easy to follow and so far I've managed to make 2 maps without any major issues by using the 'map templates' contained within the art files
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Just to let you know, there is a 95% chance the next game in the series will change the scale to 250 meters per hex. If you could wait awhile we might do most of this conversion work for you.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
mudpi

Post by mudpi »

Sweet, I'm in no hurry, I'll look forward to it.
MikeAP

Post by MikeAP »

ORIGINAL: mudpi

Guys I'm sooo ashamed.

I'm trying to render a map of altis - the setting of the tactical battles in Arma3.

Fantastic idea! My favorite map was Zargabad. I even went so far as to recreate it in Steel Beasts.

I may also do that for FCRS.
Enigma6584

Post by Enigma6584 »

ORIGINAL: MikeAP

ORIGINAL: mudpi

Guys I'm sooo ashamed.

I'm trying to render a map of altis - the setting of the tactical battles in Arma3.

Fantastic idea! My favorite map was Zargabad. I even went so far as to recreate it in Steel Beasts.

I may also do that for FCRS.

Is your map currently in the map folder for SB? If so what name is it under? I'd like to take a look at it.
mudpi

Post by mudpi »

Alas, I don't think that my project can be done. The Altis map is bout, 26x21ks and when you scale that up so that each hex is equal to 200-250 meters the Map image that is created SEEMS to be to big for the DataMap in FCRS to handle- it just hits you with a "can`t allocate dib handle" error and its game over. (plus the map image ends up being pretty big -from a resource and memory perspective, so even if it did work I'm not sure if the game could work with it.

Shame.

I'm undone.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I've run a 40x30km map in the game engine. The trick would be with hexdraw to make smaller panels and once they are in the paint program stitch them together.

Of course if the map gets too big or you get too many units on the map the game will slow down. If you CPU is a bit vintage, that could grind it to a halt.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”