Ukraine 2014

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

RoryAndersonCDT

Ukraine 2014

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

On Saturday, March 8th I’ll be presenting a simulation of the situation in Ukraine using Command version 1.03. With me, will be Dimitris Dranidis and Michael Mykytyn of Warfare Sims.

Version 1.03 Changelog

Preliminary Ukrainian Crisis order of battle: Flashpoint: Ukraine 2014

Stream starts at 11:00 AM PST.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
NakedWeasel

RE: Ukraine 2014

Post by NakedWeasel »

To what end? A naval action seems a little pointless. They share a long border, why wouldn't the Russians invade by land?
In any case, I hope this idiot president knows enough to keep us out of this mess. You cant cut the military down to a fraction of it's former power, and expect to take on Russia in it's own front yard. I can't imagine the US populous in general has any desire to send our troops into another conflict, particularly against a nation that still possesses enough WMD to wipe us all off the face of the Earth.
Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
VFA41_Lion

Post by VFA41_Lion »

But wait! If Russia invades Ukraine, the USA can use the A-10 for its original purpose at last :p
jtoatoktoe

Post by jtoatoktoe »

Too bad SECDEF today said he wants to kill A-10 once and for all. Even while a Computer Upgrade for the Fleet is being developed still.
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

Well, I'd say it was already used for it's intended purpose in Iraq and Afghanistan already- kicking arse and eating armor. But versus a Russian tank rush into the Ukraine, we'd need a lot more than all the A-10's we have in the inventory. We'd need allies. And I just don't think there are many Europeans who have any desire to back our play against the Russians. We aren't talking about the Fulda Gap, we're talking about far Eastern Europe, where our old allies don't necessarily feel threatened by Russia. Our NEW allies, Poland, Romania, Czechoslovakia, Estonia, etc- are probably going to feel a little concerned, But I can't see Germany, Britain, Italy, or Spain doing much to help us if it came down to defending Ukraine from Russian bullying.
And so fight on!
jtoatoktoe

Post by jtoatoktoe »

345 (approximately) is more than enough to litter a grave yard of Russian Tanks into such a mess that they ain't going anywhere. This of course if you control the air.
There isn't going to be any war with Russia over Ukraine.
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

If anything momentous does go down between Russia and Ukraine, we might get to finally see the big SAM systems, like the S-300 in combat. That would be worth the price of admission.
And so fight on!
Sakai007

Post by Sakai007 »

I love playing Command, one of my favorite things to do when I have some spare time. I love to jump in the editor and see what kind of odd, yet plausible, match ups I can create and what the simulated outcomes would be. In my time of testing and playing CMNAO, one thing has made itself brutally clear to me. Any kind of large scale action between peer nations is going to be extremely bloody for all participants.

That being said, I am not in any kind of hurry to see the S-300 do it's intended job. Or any of the Arleigh Burke DDG and Ticonderoga CG that I've watched being built and delivered here in Maine defend one of our CVBGs from an ASM attack. Even when a single missile gets through to it's target, many people lose their lives. And the time it would take to recoup the losses is staggering as well, this isn't the good ole days of a new Fletcher class DD leaving the ways at Bath Iron Works every 17 days. I've been watching the DDG-1000 take shape for a couple years now. The folks that build these ships are often aghast when I tell them what their role is, as the pride they take in their work makes the idea of damaging one of these ships something akin to taking the lords name in vain. The Zumwalt is gorgeous to look at sitting in the river, a daily reminder of the advances made in warship design since I boarded the USS Shiloh (CG-67) when I was just a boy during a BIW open house. There isn't much to indicate the violence and destruction she is capable of dealing out compared to the older ships, it's all tucked away inside the angular hull, almost like a wolf is yacht clothing. :)

I tend to ramble sometimes, but the point I wanted to make is this, playing through all the different war scenarios we can think of in CMNAO is not only fun but healthy IMO. We get the questions in our minds answered, and no actual people die as a result. Damn shame that pissing matches between actual nations couldn't be settled in the same way....
When in Doubt, Charlie out!!
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

Hey, I'm just tired of hearing Russians fan boiz talk smack all the time about how awesome their tech is, and they are going to blow every F-22, F-35, and B-2 out of the sky without taking their eyes off their vodka shot glass. I want to see just how RUSSIA STRONG!!!111!11 this gear really is.

That said, as a Buddhist, I must agree with you... It's all fun and games until our loved ones stop coming home.

I am reminded of drills we ran in my days as a skimmer, and we'd hear "All Hands, brace for impact!" over the 1MC, and the DC chief telling us to grab a horizontal, and bend our knees so the upheaval wouldn't break our legs too badly... And I'm thinking, I'm on a freakin' carrier- there's six other ships and a hundred aircraft protecting us! As I was to learn, the other ships were supposedly already burning or sunk, and we were the primary target. I'd look around at all my shipmates, and think of a Soviet missile the size of a bus slamming into the ship at mach 3.
If we were lucky, they'd be conventional warheads, and maybe some of us would survive long enough to abandon ship- but we all were trained to fight the ship through an attack of nuclear-tipped missiles, and we all knew that even this giant carrier wasn't going to survive long under that kind of attack. If even one went off nearby, it would likely scram the reactors, probably smash the shafts and machinery, and we'd be left with emergency diesels, practically a sitting target. I was thankful that my battle station was on the aft hanger deck, dealing with radiation casualties. The last place I wanted to be was down in the plant, with all that irradiated super-heated steam, below the waterline. There wasn't very much chance of getting out of there alive.
And so fight on!
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

I could see a naval scenario occurring quote easily. Russia plans on moving in Russian units to "suppress the mutiny". The US sends in a carrier group into the black see to serve as an aid to diplomatic warnings to Russia that an and intrusion into Ukraine will not be tolerated (although with the current administration it would be). Russia warns the US that any movement of a carrier group into the black see near Sevastopol will be considered an act of aggression. So the Navy conducts a freedom of navigation exercise and moves as close as possible to Sevastopol (while in international waters) to send a message that the US is serious. Russia responds by claiming the US has violated their territorial waters and attacks the US fleet.

Or....they ignore out fleet and send troops into Ukraine. In response, the US launches an attack on the Russiam Black Sea fleet to pave the way for a Marine Exp Unit to move in
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

Oh, I can definitely see the potential for a scenario- I'm just wondering what the Russians actually expect to accomplish IRL? They don't "own" the Ukraine, anymore, and four ships (Not even a Slava-class cruiser) is going to intimidate the Ukrainian people away from the desire to be free of Russian tyranny and oppression.

You cant scare a person into submission forever, or beat them down enough to want to stay with you- they will eventually desire to be free, and will find a way. Or they will die, or kill you in the process of running away.

The big concern here, is knowing how far the Russians are willing to go in this escapade, and understanding what we are actually willing to lose in backing the Ukrainians. The American public has grown weary of war, especially war against a nuclear superpower.

The Ukrainians may just have to fend for themselves on this one, until the world sees them dying en masse, and actually steps in to intervene.
And so fight on!
RoryAndersonCDT

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/f ... separatism
Putin instructed his defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, to place Russia's military in a state of high alert for drills in the western military district, bordering Ukraine. The defence ministry denied the drills had anything to do with the political situation in Kiev, where the government of President Viktor Yanukovych was in effect toppled at the weekend. But the move comes amid increasingly forthright statements from Moscow that the rights of ethnic Russians in Ukraine are being infringed.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

Video taken on the 23rd from a dashcam near Novorossiysk. Quite a few BMP-2s!

http://flot.com/news/navy/?ELEMENT_ID=161477

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26359150
quote:
The Maidan council named Arseniy Yatsenyuk to become prime minister. The cabinet - to be voted on by MPs on Thursday - includes leading activists.

"We are to undertake extremely unpopular steps as the previous government and previous president were so corrupted that the country is in a desperate financial plight," Mr Yatsenyuk told BBC Ukrainian.

"We are on the brink of a disaster and this is the government of political suiciders! So welcome to hell," he added.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe ... story.html
MOSCOW (AP) — President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday ordered massive exercises involving most of its military units in western Russia amid tensions in Ukraine.

Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said in a televised statement made at a meeting of top military brass in Moscow that the exercise is intended to ‘‘checks the troops’ readiness for action in crisis situations that threaten the nation’s military security.’’

Shoigu said Putin ordered the exercise Wednesday afternoon. During the first two days, the military will be put on high alert and some will deploy to shooting ranges.

The actual maneuvers will start Friday and will last four days, he said. The exercise will involve ships of the Baltic and the Northern Fleets and the air force.

Shoigu’s statement didn’t contain any reference to Ukraine, where tensions remain high following the toppling of Russia-backed President Viktor Yanukovych. Russia has questioned the legitimacy of the new Ukrainian authorities and accused them of failing to control radicals who threaten the Russia-speaking population in Ukraine’s east and south.

A senior Russian lawmaker on Tuesday told pro-Russia activists in Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula where Russia has a major naval base that Moscow will protect them if their lives are in danger.

© Copyright 2014 Globe Newspaper Company.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/ ... 6-19-30-20
KIEV, Ukraine (AP) -- Russia ordered 150,000 troops to test their combat readiness Wednesday in a show of force that prompted a blunt warning from the United States that any military intervention in Ukraine would be a "grave mistake."

Vladimir Putin's announcement of huge new war games came as Ukraine's protest leaders named a millionaire former banker to head a new government after the pro-Russian president went into hiding.

The new government, which is expected to be formally approved by parliament Thursday, will face the hugely complicated task of restoring stability in a country that is not only deeply divided politically but on the verge of financial collapse. Its fugitive president, Viktor Yanukovych, fled the capital last week.

In Kiev's Independence Square, the heart of the protest movement against Yanukovych, the interim leaders who seized control after he disappeared proposed Arseniy Yatsenyuk as the country's new prime minister. The 39-year-old served as economy minister, foreign minister and parliamentary speaker before Yanukovych took office in 2010, and is widely viewed as a technocratic reformer who enjoys the support of the U.S.

Across Ukraine, the divided allegiances between Russia and the West were on full display as fistfights broke out between pro- and anti-Russia protesters in the strategic Crimea peninsula.

Amid the tensions, Putin put the military on alert for massive exercises involving most of the military units in western Russia, and announced measures to tighten security at the headquarters of Russia's Black Sea Fleet on Ukraine's Crimea peninsula.

The maneuvers will involve some 150,000 troops, 880 tanks, 90 aircraft and 80 navy ships, and are intended to "check the troops' readiness for action in crisis situations that threaten the nation's military security," Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said in remarks carried by Russian news agencies.

The move prompted a sharp rebuke from U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who warned Russia against any military intervention in Ukraine.

"Any kind of military intervention that would violate the sovereign territorial integrity of Ukraine would be a huge, a grave mistake," Kerry told reporters in Washington. "The territorial integrity of Ukraine needs to be respected."

In delivering the message, Kerry also announced that the Obama administration was planning $1 billion in loan guarantees for Ukraine and would consider additional direct assistance for the former Soviet republic.

Still, Kerry insisted that U.S. policy was not aimed at reducing Russia's influence in Ukraine or other former Soviet republics, but rather to see their people realize aspirations for freedom in robust democracies with strong economies.

"This is not `Rocky IV'," Kerry said, referring to the 1985 Sylvester Stallone film in which an aging American boxer takes on a daunting Soviet muscleman. "It is not a zero-sum game. We do not view it through the lens of East-West, Russia-U.S. or anything else. We view it as an example of people within a sovereign nation who are expressing their desire to choose their future. And that's a very powerful force."

Russia denied the military maneuvers had any connection to the situation in Ukraine, but the massive show of force appeared intended to show both the new Ukrainian authorities and the West that the Kremlin was ready to use all means to protect its interests.

While Russia has pledged not to intervene in Ukraine's domestic affairs, it has issued a flurry of statements voicing concern about the situation of Russian speakers in Ukraine, including in the Crimea.

The strategic region, which hosts a major Russian naval base and where the majority of the population are Russian speakers, has strong ties to Moscow. It only became part of Ukraine in 1954 when Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev transferred jurisdiction from Russia - a move that was a mere formality until the 1991 Soviet collapse meant Crimea landed in an independent Ukraine.

Igor Korotchenko, a former colonel of the Russian military's General Staff, wrote a commentary in a Russian online newspaper, slon.ru, saying "if illegal armed formations attempt to overthrow the local government in Crimea by force, a civil war will start and Russia couldn't ignore it."

Still, while the exercises include most units from Russia's Western Military District and some from the Central Military District that spreads across the Urals and part of Siberia, it does not involve troops from the Southern Military District, such as the Black Sea Fleet and areas in southern Russia that neighbor Ukraine.

This seemed to signal that Moscow does not want to go too far. By flexing its military muscles Russia clearly wants to show the West it must seriously consider its interests in Ukraine, while avoiding inflaming tensions further.

In Crimea, fistfights broke out between rival demonstrators in the regional capital of Simferopol when some 20,000 Muslim Tatars rallying in support of Ukraine's interim leaders clashed with a smaller pro-Russian rally.

The protesters shouted and attacked each other with stones, bottles and punches, as police and leaders of both rallies struggled to keep the two groups apart.

One health official said at least 20 people were injured, while the local health ministry said one person died from an apparent heart attack. Tatar leaders said there was a second fatality when a woman was trampled to death by the crowd. Authorities did not confirm that.

The Tatars, a Muslim ethnic group who have lived in Crimea for centuries, were brutally deported in 1944 by Soviet dictator Josef Stalin, but have since returned.

One of the first jobs for Yatsenyuk and other members of his new Cabinet will be seeking outside financial help from the European Union and the International Monetary Fund. Economists say Ukraine is close to financial collapse, with its currency under pressure and its treasury almost empty. The acting finance minister has said Ukraine will need $35 billion in bailout loans to get through the next two years.

Any such deal will require a new prime minister to take unpopular steps, such as raising the price of gas to consumers. The state gas company charges as little as one-fifth of what it pays for imported Russian gas. The IMF unsuccessfully pressed Ukraine to halt the practice under two earlier bailouts, and halted aid when Kiev wouldn't comply.

The European Commission's top officials held a meeting Wednesday in Brussels to discuss how the 28-nation bloc can provide rapid financial assistance to Ukraine.

---

Vladimir Isachenkov reported from Moscow. Associated Press writers Maria Danilova and David McHugh in Kiev, Svetlana Fedas in Lviv, and Yuras Karmanau in Simferopol contributed to this report.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

Ukraine on alert after gunmen seize buildings
Tension escalates between Moscow and Kiev after armed takeover, with Ukraine leader warning against Russian aggression.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/20 ... 94624.html
Ukrainian troops and police officers are on high alert, after armed men seized government buildings in the Crimea region of the country and raised a Russian flag over a barricade.

Acting president Oleksander Turchinov told parliament on Thursday he had given an order for security structures to take "all measures" needed to protect citizens.

Part of Russia's Black Sea fleet is based in Crimea, in the port of Sevastopol. Turchinov told Russian forces in Crimea not to leave their base, saying any movement would be considered a "military aggression".

The escalation in tension and rhetoric between Russia and Ukraine has steadily increased during the past months, but the overnight armed takeover could be a turning point in relations between the two countries.

Interior minister Arsen Avakov said in a Facebook post on Thursday that "unknown men armed with automatic and machine guns seized the building of the Crimean government in Simferopol. Interior troops and the entire police force have been put on alert". The area has been cordoned off "to prevent bloodshed", according to news agency AFP.

"Measures have been taken to counter extremist actions and not allow the situation to escalate into an armed confrontation in the centre of the city,'' Avakov said.

Russia on standby

Pictures from Twitter, also posted on Thursday, showed the Russian flag raised above the Crimean parliament building. Up to 50 men with weapons marched into the buildings during the night.

There has been no formal response from Moscow to the latest developments in Crimea, but Russia's defence ministry has said its fighter jets are on standby. The country's foreign ministry said on Twitter it would "continue to defend in the international arena the rights of its compatriots, it will strongly and uncompromisingly react when they are violated". It also said that "large-scale human rights violations" in Ukraine were a cause for concern.

Crimean Prime Minister Anatoliy Mohilyov told AFP that local authorities were preparing to "take measures". He did not say what they were.

The men, in full combat dress but without any markings of affiliation entered the buildings and removed the guards without any fight, the Interfax-Ukraine news agency quoted sources in parliament as saying.

Scuffles in Crimea

On Wednesday there were scuffles outside the Crimea regional parliament building between thousands of pro-Russia separatists and supporters of Ukraine's new leaders, as regional politicians prepared to debate the removal of Viktor Yanukovich from the presidency.

Interfax news agency quoted a witness as saying there were about 60 people inside and they had many weapons. It said no one had been hurt when the buildings were seized by Russian speakers.

One, an ethnic Russian called Leonid Khazanov, told news agency Reuters: "We were building barricades in the night to protect parliament. Then this young Russian guy came up with a pistol...we all lay down, some more ran up, there was some shooting and around 50 went in through the window.

"They're still there ... Then the police came, they seemed scared. I asked them (the armed men) what they wanted and they
said 'To make our own decisions, not to have Kiev telling us what to do'," said Khazanov.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

Meh.
Not so happy with all this. Strange that I have been playing these scenarios that are part of historic armed conflicts without much emotion really - but now I feel different.
You see, I have a Ukranian fiancee and we're supposed to marry in Kiev this summer...
"One must always distrust the report of troop commanders: 'We have no fuel' [...] You see, if they become tired they suddenly lack fuel" - Heinz Guderian, Panzer Leader
VFA41_Lion

Post by VFA41_Lion »

Baloogan, if you're making a scenario, I'd be interested in downloading/helping set it up.. :p
RoryAndersonCDT

ORIGINAL: VFA41_Lion

Baloogan, if you're making a scenario, I'd be interested in downloading/helping set it up.. :p

Sure! [:D]
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

Here is an example of what I have so far.[:)]
Attachments
Ukraine2014release.zip
(175.78 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead