2.00 UPDATE - MANUAL REVISIONS

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Jason Petho

2.00 UPDATE - MANUAL REVISIONS

Post by Jason Petho »

4.8 A/I Menu

Use this menu to control the “Artificial Intelligence” (A/I) (Programmed Opponent) capabilities of the of the current¬ly in-progress non-CG scenario.

Select Allied (Manual) (i.e., no A/I) for a side if you want to make all the decisions for that side, including conducting all moves and attacks for it. This is the default mode for both sides.

Select Allied (Computer) for a side if you want the program to handle all the decisions and actions for that side. This will show you the position of all enemy units, even those out of Line of Sight.

Select Allied (Computer with Fog-of-War) for a side if you want the program to handle all the decisions and actions, and have Fog of War in effect, for that side. This is the recommended, and most popular, method of play.

Select Axis (Manual) (i.e., no A/I) for a side if you want to make all the decisions for that side, including conducting all moves and attacks for it. This is the default mode for both sides.

Select Axis (Computer) for a side if you want the program to handle all the decisions and actions for that side. This will show you the position of all enemy units, even those out of Line of Sight.

Select Axis (Computer with Fog-of-War) for a side if you want the program to handle all the decisions and actions, and have Fog of War in effect, for that side. This is the recommended, and most popular, method of play.

Select Set Advantage to balance play between two players of unequal skill or to balance A/I play. Advantage values can range from 0 to 100 for either side. Depending on the value, the side with the advantage will inflict higher than normal combat losses on the other side, and suffer lower than normal combat losses themselves. Advantage must be set before play begins in E-Mail or Modem Play games. Otherwise, the Advantage can be adjusted at any time during the game.

Select Allied A/I Aggressiveness to adjust the aggressiveness of the A/I by inputting a value between 0 and 100.

Select Axis A/I Aggressiveness to adjust the aggressiveness of the A/I by inputting a value between 0 and 100.

Select Allied A/I Audacious to have the A/I play in a more risky behavior.

Select Allied A/I Cautious to have the A/I play more cautiously Select Axis A/I Audacious to have the A/I play in a more risky manner.

Select Axis A/I Cautious to have the A/I play more cautiously

Select Allied A/I Shifting to have the A/I play style alternate *randomly* between Audacious, Cautious and Neutral play, *also with more or less "Aggressiveness*.

Select Axis A/I Shifting to have the A/I play style alternate *randomly* between Audacious, Cautious and Neutral play, *also with more or less "Aggressiveness*.

Select Activate A/I to restart the A/I after you have canceled it.

Jason Petho

RE: 2.00 UPDATE - MANUAL REVISIONS

Post by Jason Petho »

4.3 Units Menu

Use this menu to change the position of friendly units and to initiate Artillery and Air Attacks, as well as a host of other things, as explained below.

Select To Top Of Stack to move a selected unit to the top of its stack.

Select To Bottom of Stack to move a selected unit to the bottom of its stack.

Select Turn Clockwise to change the facing of the selected unit one hexside in a clock¬wise direction (note the facing of the unit’s 3D icon in the Info Box).

Select Turn Counterclockwise to change the facing of the selected unit one hexside in a counter-clockwise direction (note the facing of the unit’s 3D icon in the Info Box).
Select Double-Time before moving an infantry, cavalry or wagon unit and it will only pay three-fourths of the normal Action Points to enter a location.

Select Load/Unload to load a non-vehicular unit onto a vehicular unit, or to unload a unit that is currently a pas¬senger.

Select Toggle Digging-In to give orders for an eligible infantry-type unit to begin construction of an Improved Position.

Select Build Lt Hexside Bridge to begin construction of a light hexside bridge. These require special unit types.

Select Lay Vehicle Bridge to begin construction of a medium hexside bridge. These require special unit types.

Select Lay Mine Field/IED to begin construction of a mine field or IED. These require special unit types.

Select Build Barrier to begin construction of a barrier. These require special unit types.

Select Damage Wall or Bridge to have a selected Engineer unit attempt to destroy a bridge or “high wall” hex-side.

Select Save APs for Firing to ensure that the selected unit reserves enough Action Points to get off at least one shot after it has expended Action Points for other purposes.

Select Save APs for Unloading to ensure that the selected unit reserves enough Action Points to unload any passenger it may be transporting after it has expended Action Points for other purposes.

Select Launch Human Wave Attack to initiate a multiple unit from multiple hex attack. Only certain countries have this capability (for example, Japan in Rising Sun).

Select Fire Smoke to have the selected unit fire smoke.

Select Fire Starshell to have the selected unit fire a starshell (night scenarios only)

Select Air Attack to initiate an Air Attack on the currently Hot-Spotted hex. A targeting marker is placed to denote the impending air strike, but the attack is always delayed at least one turn, sometimes several. Once plotted, an Air Attack cannot be cancelled. Select Artillery Dialog to display the Artillery Dialog window which allows you to initiate attacks with Indirect Fire units. Note that all Indirect Fire attacks are not carried out until the following game turn.

Select Artillery Dialog to open the artillery dialog.

Select Assign Opportunity Fire to display the Opportunity Fire (OpFire) Dialog, which allows you to set (by firing- and target-unit types) the desired maximum ranges that your units will be allowed to conduct OpFire.

Select Remove From Map to voluntarily remove a unit from the map. Removal can occur only during your turn, and the unit must be in a map-edge hex (any map-edge hex—not necessarily an Exit Objective edge hex).

Select Undo Last Movement to cancel the entire movement of the most-recently moved still-selected friendly unit, so you can instead move it in a different way (or not at all). This command is disabled during Modem play, Play By E-mail, and whenever Fog of War is in effect; e.g., during the campaign game.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Awesome! [:)] Thanks Jason!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

4.7 Display Menu

Use this menu to control how information is displayed on the map.

Select Specials on Top to control the on-map display of fortifications (Improved Positions, mines, and blocks) and wrecks on the 2D maps. When this command has a check mark next to it, all these markers appear above all other units in their hex.

Select Units Off to toggle (off or on) the on-map display of all units and markers. This option is provided to temporarily hide the unit and marker icons so that you can see the underlying map terrain better.

Select Unit Bases to toggle (off or on) distinctive bases for all 3D unit icons on any 3D map view. With this option on, units on the screen are much easier to discern. Note that each nationality has different-styled 3D bases displaying a derivation of that country’s nationality symbol.

Select Visible Hexes to toggle (off or on) a shade over all hexes which are not in the Line of Sight of the current Hot Spotted hex.

Select Reachable Hexes to graphically illustrate all the hexes that the currently-selected unit can reach in the current turn. This takes into account the number of Action Points it has to spend (and considers whether or not the unit is Saving APs for Firing or Unloading). All hexes it cannot reach are shaded. See section 5.2 for more information.

Select Attack Range to toggle (off or on) a display feature that illustrates the currently-selected unit hard (shown in red) or (shown in blue) attack limits. Note: If the hard and soft limits of the unit are same, only a red line is shown.

Select Command Range when a HQ unit is selected to see the Command Range for that HQ; see section 8.0 for more information on HQs.

Select Hex Contours to toggle (off or on) a brown “contour line” along all hexsides where an elevation change occurs.

Select On-Map Thermometers to toggle (off or on) small “thermometers” on a 3D map display that graphically illustrate each unit’s current state of Morale, remaining Action Points, or current Strength Points.

Select Objectives to toggle (off or on) the display of Objectives on the map. When this is enabled, each Objective hex is denoted by an Objective marker displaying the primary color of the side that currently controls it (exception: Exit Objective hex).

Select Highlight to get a sub-menu of the following options:

Moved Units toggles (off or on) a highlight around all units that have expended AP to enter a new hex during the current turn (exception: unless assaulting).

Fired/Fought Units toggles (off or on) a highlight around all units that have either fired at an enemy unit or fought in an assault during the current turn.

Fixed Units toggles (off or on) a highlight around all Fixed units.

Disrupted Units toggles (off or on) a highlight around all units that are Disrupted.

Spotted Units toggles (off or on) a highlight around all units that have a Line of Sight to (and thus are in the Line of Sight of) at least one known enemy unit.

Units/HQs Out of Supply toggles (off or on) a highlight around all units low on ammunition due to failing their supply check. Note that each HQ that moved during the previous turn is automatically considered “Out of Supply” during the next turn.

Indirect Fire Units toggles (off or on) a highlight around all units capable of firing indirectly.

Anti-Aircraft Unit toggles (off or on) a highlight around all units capable of con-ducting fire vs. aircraft, i.e., Anti-Aircraft.

Mine-Clearing Units toggles (off or on) a highlight around any unit capable of clearing mined hexes. Note that Mine-Clearing Units are also referred to as Engineers in this manual.

Leaders toggles (off or on) a highlight around all Leaders.

Headquarters toggles (off or on) a highlight around all HQ units (and Command Posts; see the Optional Rule for Command Control in section 11.0).

Organization toggles (off or on) a highlight around all units that are part of the same organization as the selected unit, or are subordinate to the selected Leader or HQ.

The menu options are mutually exclusive; i.e., selecting any one of them will toggle-off any of the others that had been previously selected.

Select Jump Map to display a miniature of the map. When you select any spot in the miniature version, the game map will automatically scroll to the selected spot.

Select 3D Normal View to change the map to its full-size 3D BattleviewTM mode.

Select 3D Zoom-Out View to change the map to BattleviewTM mode but with the hexes at half their normal size.

Select 3D Extreme Zoom-Out View to change the map to BattleviewTM mode but with the hexes at one-fourth their normal size.

Select 2D Normal View to change the map to its 2D version.

Select 2D Zoom View to change the map to a smaller, low resolution 2D version that enables more of it to be seen.

Select Rotate Map to rotate the map, and all units and markers on it, 180º.

Select Redraw Display to refresh the map.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

4.10 Options Menu

Use this menu to set the default for certain options associated with the main program. A check mark next to a command in this menu means that it is “on.” The settings of this menu are always “remembered” by the program.

Select Prompt for Scenario if you want to be prompted for a new scenario whenever you enter the game directly via a desktop shortcut for the EF.EXE executable (instead of the “normal” method of launching a new scenario from the “Scenarios” screen).

Select Auto Save to have the program save the game automatically at the end of each turn (exception: it will not save a phase that was conducted under computer-controlled A/I (with or without Fog of War)).

Select Backup Saves to have the program save additional backups of the game automatically at the end of each turn (exception: it will not save a phase that was conducted under computer-controlled A/I (with or without Fog of War)).

Select Ask before advancing Turn to have the program confirm that you really want to end a turn after you have indicated that you have finished your turn. With this enabled, you cannot end your turn by mistakenly clicking on the “Next Turn” Tool Bar button.

Select Auto Save APs for Firing to have all of the combat units of the phasing side automatically save enough AP to always be able to conduct at least one fire attack after APs are expended for other purposes.

Select Beep on Error to toggle (off or on) the option that causes a beep when you make an error.

Select Hide 3D Hot Spot to toggle (off or on) the option that causes the hexagonal Hot Spot marker to be hidden on 3D maps.

Select Blink Hot Spot to toggle (off or on) the option that causes the Hot Spot to blink. Note that the Hot Spot only blinks on 2D maps.

Select Smooth Scroll to toggle (off or on) the option that causes the map to scroll incrementally to a new Hot Spot. When this command has no check mark next to it, the map redraws directly at the new Hot Spot hex without scrolling through the intervening hexes.

Select Hex Outlines to hide or display the map’s hex outlines. When the hex outlines are visible, this command has a check mark next to it.

Select Opaque Infobox to toggle (off or on) an opaque background color behind the Info Box.
Select Graphical Unit Icons to toggle the 2D display of unit icons between graphical and military-type schematic versions.

Select Use Special Icons in order for the program to use special 3D icons such as win¬ter or late-war camouflage. In order for the special icons to appear (if this option is not already in effect), you must select this option and restart the game.

Select Highlight Colors to choose from a large variety of color options that are available for highlighting units on the map.

Select Allied Animation Speed to open a Dialog that provides a user adjustable animation speed.

Select Axis Animation Speed to open a Dialog that provides a user adjustable animation speed.

Select Details to display a sub-menu that allows you to specify the level of details you wish to see in the combat reports. See section 5.21 for more information.

Select Initial View to define the initial view of the map when the main program is started. The views may be set to any of the stan¬dard views, or to default to the last one used while playing the game.

Select Sound Effects to toggle (off or on) the playing of firing/moving sound effects.

Select Background Music to toggle (off or on) background music.

Select Background Sound to toggle (off or on) the playing of ambient background battle sounds.

Select Optional Rules to display a menu of game options that are in effect for the current scenario. These rules must be set at the start of a scenario and cannot be changed during game play. See the Optional Rules in section 11.0 for more information.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

4.21 The Unit List

To display the Unit List along the right side of your screen, press the U Hot Key. You can select and unselect one or more units easily with the Unit List “on” by left clicking once on the desired Info Box(es) in the Unit List. Additional information regarding play can be found in the Unit List. If a hex is selected, Info Boxes for all units in that hex are displayed in the Unit List, one above the other. You can use the cursor to “drag” the displayed Info Boxes up or down within the Unit List (this can be necessary if three or more Info Boxes are displayed in the Unit List). To close the Unit List, press the U key again.

Right click on a unit displaying a full-color helmet icon to see the Unit Box of the passenger being transported.

Below the lowest Info Box displayed in the Unit the following additional game information is presented:

Terrain – Lists the predominant type of terrain in the hex and the base elevation in meters.

Objective – If the selected is an Objective hex, its Objective Value is listed.

Wrecks: The current number of wreck SP in the selected hex.

TEM* -: A hex only TEM modifier total for that particular hex
Concealment*– The Concealment Value of the terrain in the selected hex. The higher the Value, the better its Concealment.

Morale* -: A hex only Morale modifier total for that particular hex

NOTE: A * above signifies not including any hexside modifiers.

Visibility – The maximum number of hexes a unit can “see” in the scenario.

Air Power – The total number of Air Attacks remaining per side (Allied #/Axis #). *

Smoke – The number of Smoke missions available to eligible artillery (Allied #/Axis #). *

Ammo – The supply (ammo) level per side (Allied #/Axis #). *

* If Fog of War is in effect, the numbers for the opposing side are shown as a question mark (?).
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

4.22 The Unit Handbook

Additional information about a unit can be accessed by selecting that unit and pressing the F2 key. This will display useful information about the unit, such as its Action Point terrain costs, its per-SP Victory Point value, its “organizational tree” in the current scenario, some histor¬ical text on the unit type, and a sample illustration. Note: The terrain costs listed for a unit in the Unit Handbook are the terrain costs associated for the ground conditions (normal, soft, mud, or snow) of the scenario currently open. Clicking the “R” (“Range Display”) button will bring up a graph illustrating the range of its weaponry (if applicable); see Range Display, below. Also shown in the Unit Handbook is the “organizational tree” of the selected unit (providing a listing that unit’s company, battalion, regiment, etc.) To close the Range Display, left click on the graph, or press the Esc or Enter key. Use the same keys to close the Unit Handbook, or left click on the X (“Close”) button located in the lower right-hand corner of the Unit Handbook display. The Unit Handbook now lists special unit capabilities, including those that used to be graphically displayed in the Unit Information Box.

Range Display – If you click on the “Range Display” (“R”) button in the lower right portion of a selected unit display, a “Range Dialog” graph is displayed. This Range Dialog illustrates the Hard Target Attack Strengths (shown by the red line) and the “Soft Target” Attack Strengths (shown by the blue line) of the unit currently being investigated in the Unit Handbook. The number in the upper left corner of this Dialog (along the “Y” axis) is the unit’s maximum Attack Factor for whichever Attack Strength (Hard or Soft) has the greater value; the number in the lower right corner (along the “X” axis) is the unit’s maximum range for whichever Attack Strength has the greater range. The Range Dialog graph in the Unit Handbook can be closed by left clicking on it, or by pressing the Esc or Enter key.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

5.29 Encryption

The platoon and associated files have been encrypted with a new encryption Tool. This encryption Tool will NOT be available to the general public. Players that have differently-encrypted files will not be able to play against each other. This will keep everyone using the same UPDATE to ensure equality on the battlefield.

This is included to assist in eliminating conflicts of one player using a modified platoon or weapons file to give them an advantage during game play.

A new addition is that ability for modders to test there files without the need for encryption. This is accomplished by adding an –X at the end of the target path of the specific game executable. (for example; …/wf.exe –W –X or by typing “wf.exe –w –x” in the Windows Command Prompt. Alternatively, creating a shortcut with”-X” added after the.exe name. (Windows 7 in the Target Field)

This new sans encryption mode is not available for non-AI or PBEM games. With this new mode you are able to test platoon##.oob, weapon.pdt, movement.pdt and main.pdt files.

Note to Modders: If you wish to use your tested files in your regular game, they will stull need to be encrypted. Feel free to send the files you wish to have modified to jasonpetho@hotmail.com with “Encryption Request” in the Subject line.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

11.0 Optional Rules

Some Optional Rules are available to add variety to game play. Once the game begins, the player can select the rules at the A/I selection screen. Once a scenario has begun, the Optional Rules in effect for that scenario cannot be changed.

Indirect Fire by the Map – This allows you to target Indirect Fire on hexes that are not in the Line of Sight of units on your side. Such fire is likely to drift into another hex. Drifting can be up to two hexes from the originally plotted hex.

Extreme Fog Of War – This further modifies the Fog of War effects. Names of enemy units are hidden. The unit’s Strength is also hidden, unless the unit is in “clear” terrain. Fur¬thermore, assault odds will be unavailable.

Command Control – Under this rule, the HQ supply “ranges” are varied depending on the year and the nationality. Each nationality has a built-in modifier that modifies the base “50% range” of each HQ. For example, in 1942 each German HQ has a 120% (1.20) modifier that is applied to modify the base range of each HQ (as seen in Campaign Series’ Pdata.hlp file). Thus, a German battalion HQ that normally has a 50% range of “8” has that multi¬plied by 1.20, resulting in a new “50% range” value of “10.”

In addition to the above modifier (depending on year and nationality), any HQ that is stacked in the same hex with the Leader associated with that HQ has its base “50% range” increased by that leader's Leadership Number. For instance, a divisional-level Leader only increases the range of his division's HQ, not the regimental and/or battalion HQs of his division.

Command – If the Optional Rule for “Command Control” is enabled, a company-level “Command Post” (CP) is deemed to be inherently present with the first platoon of each company. If the first platoon is eliminated, the benefits of the CP are lost (it would be unrealistic to have the CP duties passed on in the time frame of a typical scenario). A CP unit is denoted by a radio icon displayed in the icon area along the left side of the Info Box. In addi¬tion, all friendly CP units are highlighted when you select Highlight HQ.

Units that operate beyond their company CP range (or if their CP is not present on the map) are subject to the following penalties:

– Less chance of Morale recovery (– 1)
– Less chance of Disruption recovery (–1)

A CP has an effective range (radius) which is about half the range of that side’s battal¬ion HQ. A CP’s range is highlighted if it is selected when the W Hot Key is pressed.

The radius highlighted by the W Hot Key is the limit of company CP control, while for battalions it is the 50% chance of resupply. This in effect means that units slightly beyond the battalion HQ radius can still be re-supplied, but at a rate slightly less than 50%. However, units outside the company CP radius suffer the penalty as described above.

Armor Facing – This only applies to Direct Fire vs. armored (i.e., “Hard”) targets. When this Optional Rule is in effect, the Defense Strength used when resolving Direct Fire is based on the facing of the defender relative to the firing unit (the basic Defense Strength is still used when resolving assaults). These values can be found by pressing the F4 Hot Key during the game (displays the Miscellaneous (Platoon) Data File).

Design Note: The standard (i.e. non-optional) defense value of an armored unit represents an overall rating based on the vehicles’ size (height in particular), armor thickness, close-defense weaponry, and the assumption that not all of the vehicles may be facing in the same direction, especially in a defensive stance.

The Campaign Series Optional Rule for Armor Facing introduces individual front, side, and rear defense values for each armored unit. These values are based on the standard defense values and hard status, weighted by the actual armor thickness of the vehicles them¬selves. Hence, they do not represent armor thickness per se, but rather the influence of individ¬ual armor thickness in conjunction with the game’s existing values.

Extreme Assault: Extreme Assault is an altered assault routine that offers the defenders a chance of success in defending an assault, even if they are disrupted. When the assault is executed, the software goes to the combat routines and conducts casualty assessment based on the same principles that govern shooting combat, except it is independent of armor facing values. Once the combat is completed, the results are compared to an Assault Combat Results Table where if the attacker wins, the defenders Morale is reduced by 5 and if the defender wins, the defenders Morale is increased by 3. The game then does a morale check based on the defender's modified average morale. If the defender fails his morale check and there are undisrupted units in the attacking force, then the assault is successful and the defender is subject to the software's retreat processing. Otherwise, the defender wins and remains in his hex. The Assault Combat Results Table makes it harder for assaults conducted at below 1:1 to succeed, it still allows a worst case scenario attack a 15% chance of success over the defender. On the other hand, the defender has a possible 10% chance of success over the attacker. Regardless of the outcome, if the defender might fail or pass the morale check and completely negate the Assault Combat Results Table results.

Under the normal assault rules, there is a 99% chance of success using the traditional disrupt, surround and capture technique. With Extreme Assault, the chance of success has been reduced to ~65%. The attacker will have the best chance of success by finding ways to reduce the defenders Morale.

Variable Visibility: During the course of a scenario where the visibility is set by the scenario designer, the computer performs a random check at the beginning of each player one turn to determine if the visibility will change. If it does change, it will increase or decrease by one hex based on the designers chosen visibility setting. At night, maximum visibility still varies, but darkness (how far the unaided eye can see) will increase, decrease, or stay the same. All of these changes reflect the weather, cloud cover, and other random sighting factors that occur on the battlefield. To determine the current maximum visibility, check the status menu under scenario information or press the keyboard shortcut U to access the Unit Menu; there, current turn visibility is listed.

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

13.17 The Scenario Editor

Once you have finished the .map and .org files for your scenario, you can begin to lay out the pieces on the map and define the “parameters” of the contest.

Upon starting the Campaign Series Scenario Editor, you will be prompted to open one of the preset scenarios already in the game, from the Open Dialog. Unless you have a sce¬nario already in progress that you wish to continue editing, cancel this command immedi¬ately.

WARNING! Although you can edit the pre-set scenarios that come with the game, it is highly recommended that you DO NOT tamper with any pre-set scenarios as this may not only alter how the scenario functions, but it may become unusable, an may also prevent any upgrades from properly working if any of the files of such a “tampered” scenario are being updated by that upgrade. If you do edit a preset scenario (without renaming it through the “Save As” routine), you may need to reinstall the game to have it (or an upgrade) work properly.

Once the Open Dialog is closed, select New from the File pop-down menu to start a new scenario. You will then be prompted to insert the names of the map file and the org file that you wish to use with the scenario you are creating. In the dialogs that appear, locate the file and click on the OK button.

Once the map and org files for the new scenario have been selected the following Header Dialog will appear.

In the scenario’s Header Dialog, you define the following:

The Title of the scenario is what will be displayed in the Scenarios screen where the scenario to be played is selected.

Scenario Design Tip #14: Keep this concise but descriptive. See section 13.17.1 for Formatting.

The Mission Dialog can be used to select a “type” of scenario. This will affect how the A/I will perform if one side or the other is A/I-controlled

The First Side (generally, the attacker) determines which side moves first in each turn.

The Turn value is the number of turns you want the scenario to run. The default turn length is 10.

The Visibility value determines the maximum distance in hexes that can be seen during the scenario. The default value is 20.

Additional Functionality:

Dynamic Visibility:

Scenario designers can now set the preferred visibility on a per turn or by a series of turns. This is achieved by noting the turn sequence followed by the visibility. In the following example scenarios that is 10 turns long, turns 1-5 will have a visibility of 3, while turns 6-10 will have a visibility of 5.

1-5[3] 6-10[5] (NOTE: The space is important between the two sets of values. Otherwise no spaces (none within each value set))

There is no limit to the number of visibility changes the designer can set for the scenario.

Dynamic Day/Night:

Scenario designers can now set the preferred day or night on a per turn or by a series of turns. This is achieved by noting the turn sequence followed by the visibility. In the following example scenarios that is 10 turns long, turns 1-30 will have a day setting, while turns 31-50 will have a night setting.

1-30[d] 31-50[n] (NOTE: The space is important between the two sets of values)

There is no limit to the number of days or nights the designer can set for the scenario.

Scenario Design Tip #15: On a clear day in most theatres, maximum visibility is best around 10 to 12 hexes. It is more difficult to spot a few vehicles at 3000 metres (3 kilometres or 1.86 miles) than you’d think. Rarely do you come across flat, pool–table-like battlefields in the European or Pacific Theatres. The exceptions to this would be North Africa and the Russian Steppes.

Scenario Design Tip #16: The length of a scenario should be based on a few factors; size of forces involved, weather conditions, terrain, mission, and the overall situation you are trying to represent.

The Ammo value is used to determine the percent chance that a unit will be resupplied if not otherwise resupplied by its HQ. The default value for ammo is 80.

The Smoke value determines the number of times smoke can be fired by a side.

The Flares value determines the number of times flares can be fired by a side in Night Scenarios.

The values for a Major Defeat, Minor Defeat, Minor Victory, and Major Victory determine the victory levels of the scenario. The main program calculates Victory Points (VPs) for a battle based on Objectives controlled and losses incurred by both sides. If the VPs for the First Side fall below the Major Defeat value, then the First Side receives a Major Defeat for that battle. If the VPs fall between Major Defeat and Minor Defeat, then the First Side receives a Minor Defeat. If the VPs fall between Minor Defeat and Minor Victory, then that battle results in a draw. If the VPs fall between Minor Victory and Major Victory, then the First Side receives a Minor Victory. If the VPs are greater than Major Victory, then the First Side receives a Major Victory for that battle.

The A/I values determine the aggressiveness of a side when it is played under the control of the computer. These values range from 100 (most aggressive) to 0 (least aggressive). It is recommended that the army you wish to “attack” be set from about 60 to 100 (100 would be an “all out” attack). The side you want to defend should have a lower A/I setting, perhaps 10 to 40. To find the best A/I level for your scenario, you will probably have to experiment with different settings.

The Air value displays the number of Air Attacks available to a side during the scenario. This section is “grayed out” as Air Attacks are now set by selecting “Air-planes...” from the “Scenario” pop-down menu. The Dialog that appears lists all Air Attacks available, grouped according to nationality.

Scenario Design Tip #17: From experience, it is best to use one type of aircraft when adding air support.

Talonsoft TIP #5 - AMMO: Don’t forget to consider the ammo levels. In general, you will probably want a value between 70 and 85 (anything less than 70 should probably only be used for a side if it is disor¬ganized, cut off, and/or short on supplies; anything higher than 85 should be used only to repre¬sent a side that is especially well-supplied).

Scenario Design Tip #18: Ammo levels are definitely an important consideration as they can have a huge effect on gameplay and balance. We tend to use mission type to dictate the ammo levels that will be in any particular scenario. A standing, frontline attack will typically have more ammo available in a short period (the ammo dumps are typically close to the frontline and stocked up for the offensive) than a meeting engagement (the supply units are typically at the tail end of the advance).

Talonsoft TIP #6 - VICTORY LEVELS: Don’t forget to put in four different values in each the victory levels boxes of the “Header Dialog” (the default values of “0” just won't do!). Obviously, you will have to weigh the amount and value of the Objectives that your scenario has and which Objectives you expect the First Side (usually the “attacker”) to capture in order to achieve a Minor and Major Victory. You also need to consider acceptable casualty levels for the attacker, as well as if you intend for your scenario to always be played as the human controlling a certain side vs. the computer (as opposed to balancing it solely for two player play). Getting good victory levels will be important for your scenario to be properly balanced, and is easily one of the hardest things to get just right.

Scenario Design Tip #19: It is wise to add an A/I value even if the scenario is intended for Human vs. Human play. Not everyone has the time to play against humans.

The Conditions Dialog: The Conditions Dialog will then appear so you can estab¬lish the environmental conditions for the current scenario.

The Ground selections are Normal, Soft, Mud, and Snow. Ground conditions affect movement during the battle. When Snow ground conditions are in effect, Marsh is treated as Open terrain and Swamp becomes Forest.

The Water selections are Normal and Frozen. When the water is Frozen, all Water hexes are treated as Open hexes, and Streams and Minor Rivers become Gullies.

The Tree selections are Normal, Brown, Barren, and Snow. These selections are purely graphical and have no affect on play.

The Field selections are Normal, Plowed, and None. Normal fields affect Line of Sight and movement, while Plowed fields present no Line of Sight obstacle and only affect movement.

Talonsoft TIP #8 - CONDITIONS: Be sure to set the environmental “Conditions” (available from the “Sce¬nario” pop-down menu) to conditions that are logical. For instance, fields should not normally be in effect in January; you should not have frozen water and/or snow in July, etc.

If you want your scenario to have a unique picture (one that will be displayed whenever your scenario’s title is selected in the Scenarios screen), you can insert a graphic file with the exact same name as your scenario and a .bmp extension into the Campaign Series directory.

Example: If your scenario’s file name is Lvov.scn, the title of the graphic should be Lvov.bmp. The dimensions of the picture you select should be 256 pixels wide by 125 pixels high, and the graphic should be saved as a Black and White or 256-color bmp-type file, in order for it to display properly.
13.17.1 Scenario Description Formatting

In an effort to create some consistency in the scenario descriptions, the following format will be required for new scenarios to be added to the Campaign Series:

(Designer)
Full Name

(DATE)
14 December, 1944

(INTRODUCTION)
[LOCATION]: [PLAY MODE][SCEN TYPE][DESIGNER]: SCENARIO DESCRIPTION [SPECIAL DESIGNER NOTES] [OPTIONAL RULES][UPDATE VERSION]

Style:
[LOCATION]
Akimovka, 20km SW of Melitopol
OR
Odessa, Ukraine
OR
Paris, France
OR
Metz, NE France

Style:
[PLAY MODE]
[H2H]-----------------Defined as Best Played versus Human Opponent
[AXIS] ----------------Defined as Best Played as AXIS
[ALLIED] -------------Defined as Best Played as ALLIED
[H2H/AXIS] ----------Defined as Best Played vs. Human Opponent OR as AXIS
[H2H/ALLIED] -------Defined as Best Played vs. Human Opponent OR as ALLIED

Style:
[SCN TYPE]
[HIS] ----------Historical - Extra effort in map/oob and scenario as close to history as possible
[HISB]---------Historically Based - Scenario based on a particular battle; map and oob can be fictional.
[FIC]-----------Fictional
[WIF]----------What If situation.

Style:
[DESIGNER]
[CSL]---------Campaign Series Legion Designer
[BB]-----------Beta Brigade Member Designer
[GD]----------Guest Designer
[TS]-----------Talonsoft Original
[BZ]……..Blitzkrieg Club H2H Designer

Style:
[SCENARIO DESCRIPTION]
Provide a detailed introduction the scenario situation. It is here we you have to "sell" your scenario.

Style:
[SPECIAL DESIGNER NOTES]
[NONE]---------------No special notes
[ ]-----------------------Add any note about special rules or thoughts on the making of your scenario.

Style:
[OPTIONAL RULES]
[NONE]--------------No Optional Rules Required
[ALL]------------------All Optional Rules Recommended
[No IF]---------------No Indirect Fire by the Map
[No EFOW]---------------No Extreme Fog of Wart
[No CC]---------------No Command Control.
[No VV]---------------No Variable Visibility
[No EA]---------------No Extreme Assault
[No AF]---------------No Armour Facing.

Style:
[UPDATE VERSION]
[2.00]---------------Scenario was designed to the 2.00 UPDATE

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

21.9 Artificial Intelligence Improvements

As a first step, the addition of new A/I modes will offer players that play the A/I some new experiences when playing Campaigns.

21.10 Graphics Enhancements

Mike Amos has taken the lead and has been updating the 2D graphics for all the games. There has been substantial effort in ensuring the proper graphics are used for each platoon, especially utilizing the new 2D graphics that Mike has created. These should be complete for the 2.01 UPDATE.

21.11 Sound Enhancements

The sound files of nearly all the platoons have been modified for consistency and new sound categories have been created to fill in missing gaps . The efforts of Petri Nieminen have changed the sound stage of the Campaign Series for the better!

21.12 Numerous Legacy Bug fixes

There are literally hundreds of legacy bugs that our illustrious programmer, Berto has managed to track down and fix. This is an ongoing process and will be continuing in future UPDATES.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”