Questions about logistics

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

towerbooks3192

Questions about logistics

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Hi! I have a logistics question. How is it determined how many of something produced would end up on my designated HQ? Does the supply map apply to the penalty of how many of the things I produce that would actually reach to the HQ? I tried something like setting my capital to send its production to a far away HQ and only a little part of what is supposed to be produced reach the area.

I also have another question, is it better to set a city to send to a frontline HQ or manually send from a City HQ to the front HQ and group my units there? My last question would be, is it better to make formations far away from the front line or send it to the nearest HQ and form my troops there? and How should I reinforce my troops when they sustain losses? Is it alright if let's say I got the replacements on a front HQ and I have the land cap, I would just individually transfer units to the formations that I am reinforcing?
et ignobiles oblivio
ernieschwitz

RE: Questions about logistics

Post by ernieschwitz »

1). Yes there is a certain distance at which production doesn´t arrive, at all, or only some of it, if you get closer. The exact amount of distances for this is something found in the rulevars.

2). and 3). it is a matter of taste, and depends on your playing style.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

1). Yes there is a certain distance at which production doesn´t arrive, at all, or only some of it, if you get closer. The exact amount of distances for this is something found in the rulevars.

2). and 3). it is a matter of taste, and depends on your playing style.

rulevars? where could I find that? Is the penalty the same as the supply layer where I get e.g 25% or 50% penalty depending on the distance?
et ignobiles oblivio
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Look at image :)

Attachments
Rulevars.jpg
Rulevars.jpg (300.75 KiB) Viewed 29 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Another question

How should I determine how many officers are in a single HQ and when is it best to create another HQ? Also how many units should I place under an HQ or are there any penalties if I would place all units in one HQ?
et ignobiles oblivio
Josh

Post by Josh »

How many officers? Is it possible to place more than one then? Or do you mean Staff? The Staff percentage is noted somewhere as in 85% From there you can calculate how many more Staff you need to add. Note that "green Staff" lowers the Exp of the existing Staff.

There is no penalty putting all the units under *one* HQ...other than that the Staff bonus is only 100% within six hexes (three hexes to all sides of the HQ). So therefor I try to have as many HQ's as I have frontlines. As an HQ covers about 6 (with 100% Staff bonus) to about 14 hexes (with each added hex distance from the HQ the subordinate unit loses 20% Staff bonus). So therefor on a "quiet" front, with only some minor skirmishes, maybe one HQ suffices. On a front that sees heavy battles you'd need 2-3 or maybe even more HQ's.

The need to create a new HQ and subordinate units comes when you see units under an already existing HQ moving to far away from that HQ. They lose the HQ bonus and are in danger of being cut off. So say you have an HQ with its units going straight east, but you also want to take/recon some territory south-east then you might consider creating a new HQ and some units. HQ's don't get bonusses from nearby other HQ's so you can make that new HQ subordinate to the nearby HQ, or even the Supreme HQ which probably is still located in your capitol.

Usually I have the SHQ in my capitol, and a local SHQ on major continents. On that continent I try to make frontline HQ's subordinate to the local SHQ (I have that one usually in a port or coastal city to make supply flow easier...). You can then ship via strategic transport troops and the like to the local SHQ, and then send the new troops via trains/trucks to the front line HQ's. The local Supreme HQ's are somewhat like a balloon...they have everything I think I might need to take that area/island/continent plus some extra...there they can gather exp to the 40 cap. From there I can send new troops straight to units subordinate to other HQ's....note that they lose a lot of readiness when shipped to a different HQ. I can also send them from that SHQ to a subordinate HQ, so they can gather some readiness...and then put them in an unit subordinate to that HQ.

Gee I hope this all makes sense [;)]
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Josh

How many officers? Is it possible to place more than one then? Or do you mean Staff? The Staff percentage is noted somewhere as in 85% From there you can calculate how many more Staff you need to add. Note that "green Staff" lowers the Exp of the existing Staff.

There is no penalty putting all the units under *one* HQ...other than that the Staff bonus is only 100% within six hexes (three hexes to all sides of the HQ). So therefor I try to have as many HQ's as I have frontlines. As an HQ covers about 6 (with 100% Staff bonus) to about 14 hexes (with each added hex distance from the HQ the subordinate unit loses 20% Staff bonus). So therefor on a "quiet" front, with only some minor skirmishes, maybe one HQ suffices. On a front that sees heavy battles you'd need 2-3 or maybe even more HQ's.

The need to create a new HQ and subordinate units comes when you see units under an already existing HQ moving to far away from that HQ. They lose the HQ bonus and are in danger of being cut off. So say you have an HQ with its units going straight east, but you also want to take/recon some territory south-east then you might consider creating a new HQ and some units. HQ's don't get bonusses from nearby other HQ's so you can make that new HQ subordinate to the nearby HQ, or even the Supreme HQ which probably is still located in your capitol.

Usually I have the SHQ in my capitol, and a local SHQ on major continents. On that continent I try to make frontline HQ's subordinate to the local SHQ (I have that one usually in a port or coastal city to make supply flow easier...). You can then ship via strategic transport troops and the like to the local SHQ, and then send the new troops via trains/trucks to the front line HQ's. The local Supreme HQ's are somewhat like a balloon...they have everything I think I might need to take that area/island/continent plus some extra...there they can gather exp to the 40 cap. From there I can send new troops straight to units subordinate to other HQ's....note that they lose a lot of readiness when shipped to a different HQ. I can also send them from that SHQ to a subordinate HQ, so they can gather some readiness...and then put them in an unit subordinate to that HQ.

Gee I hope this all makes sense [;)]

Crystal clear! Now I would try to put it in to practice. Another problem I usually have with these kind of games is that I don't know what is enough at times. Especially with games that have some set scenarios.
et ignobiles oblivio
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

My approach is "you can never have too much". I tend to keep an "emergency reserve" in my Strategic HQ on a given front. Then my subordinate HQ's if it is a wide front are just there to offer staff support. My main way of reinforcement comes from my Supreme HQ where I make "Reinforcement units" that I then strategically ship to the front. Once there I pull depleted units out of the line and move the "reinforcement unit" into the hex with them and then transfer troops to the depleted unit.

I keep the emergency reserve incase there is a hang up with getting my reinforcement units to a particular front. That reserve is meant to shore up weak spots in the line until my other large unit arrives with replacements. So you can never have enough units; you just need to prioritize where they are needed the most.

As a side note, I find it helpful to mentally set a specific minimum number of each unit in a division so it makes planning reinforcement allocation easier. So what I consider an Infantry Division to be "full strength" with whatever compliment of units it has is most likely different than what other players do. One of the great things about this game, having the ability to make your own T.O.E. and setting the numbers to what is acceptable to you.
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Oh yeah, I have another question. Is it better to link all HQs to SHQ or its alright to create a sort of "main" HQ on a far region as long as I could support it with a supply producing city?
et ignobiles oblivio
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

If you find you can manage several "SHQ"s then it is perfectly alright to have them. In fact in some games it is almost required.

Also be aware that you can set a HQ to recieve more supply than it will use up. This is useful for HQs that are about to be surrounded for instance, and will give a pocket some longer life...
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Josh explained it pretty well a few posts up so I am not going to go in depth with it.

I believe it is a mix of personal preference along with strategic needs. I attach my "main" theater HQ's directly to my Supreme HQ. Then I create "operational" HQs from my "main" theater HQs as needed to make sure all of my units are getting the Staff bonuses and are properly supplied.

You can attach a supply producing city to a far away HQ if you wish, I would just beware of that being your only source of supply if you have a lot of divisions attached to it as you may find that the one city is not producing enough supplies to sustain a large force that is conducting combat operations on a large scale.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Josh explained it pretty well a few posts up so I am not going to go in depth with it.

I believe it is a mix of personal preference along with strategic needs. I attach my "main" theater HQ's directly to my Supreme HQ. Then I create "operational" HQs from my "main" theater HQs as needed to make sure all of my units are getting the Staff bonuses and are properly supplied.

You can attach a supply producing city to a far away HQ if you wish, I would just beware of that being your only source of supply if you have a lot of divisions attached to it as you may find that the one city is not producing enough supplies to sustain a large force that is conducting combat operations on a large scale.

Thats how I do it. Occasionally depending on size of map and how it is designed I have another Hqs without connection to the Supreme Hqs.

Unless it was changed I think the default setting is 4 levels of hqs. Meaning Supreme to Theater to Corps to Division. I usually only have 3 levels
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Yeah the default setting is 4, although it can be set to unlimited in theory. I think the reason is that the HQs can extend the actual length of a supply line beyond what is in the rulevars, as each HQ can beat the edge of that distance, and still give supply....
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

It only shows 3 levels on the tool for info in game though Theater hqs a lot of times appear in the same block as Supreme.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Josh

Post by Josh »

My approach is "you can never have too much". I tend to keep an "emergency reserve" in my Strategic HQ on a given front. Then my subordinate HQ's if it is a wide front are just there to offer staff support. My main way of reinforcement comes from my Supreme HQ where I make "Reinforcement units" that I then strategically ship to the front. Once there I pull depleted units out of the line and move the "reinforcement unit" into the hex with them and then transfer troops to the depleted unit.

I keep the emergency reserve incase there is a hang up with getting my reinforcement units to a particular front. That reserve is meant to shore up weak spots in the line until my other large unit arrives with replacements. So you can never have enough units; you just need to prioritize where they are needed the most.

As a side note, I find it helpful to mentally set a specific minimum number of each unit in a division so it makes planning reinforcement allocation easier. So what I consider an Infantry Division to be "full strength" with whatever compliment of units it has is most likely different than what other players do. One of the great things about this game, having the ability to make your own T.O.E. and setting the numbers to what is acceptable to you.

Certainly true, *if* you have enough supply and that is not always the case.

So what is "enough". That depends. If you only do some reconnoitering in an area maybe four Inf units will suffice, maybe even two, especially cavalry is suited for that.
Now if you want to take on a enemy force, or say you want to build an Heeresgruppe/HQ that can pack a punch, then your order of battle is quite different. And it also depends in which stage of the game you are in, that is which levels of Tech you already have and/or how much oil/ore you have.

Early on in the game I have my main frontline HQ combined with 4-6 Inf units, each consisting of 30-40 Inf and some Mg's and Mortars and Pak ...if you can afford them. They can already do some damage when manoevered correctly. Also in that HQ is one or two Artillery brigades. Artillery is king in this game.

In the midgame section the tanks arrive, medium tanks are killers especially at higher lvl's and exp. Also against enemy Inf Light Tanks are awesome. *but* beware of AT guns and bombers, they can sure ruin your day.

Midgame to late game it's all about combined arms. A major HQ can easily have 20 units under its wings, the staff is about 200 or more. Two or three heavy arty units (man do they pack a punch...), plus Flak units are also a must. Also one or two dedicated Tankhunter units, that is Heavy Tanks and or AT Tanks.
With this latest HQ I can take on anything that comes my way. But with the OOB earlier on in the game it happens quite often I have to make a retreat, no shame in that. Territory is of no importance, although sometimes strategic points like hills or forests can be worth fighting for.

Oh and good luck [:D]
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Josh,

Heavy artillery! I never build regular artillery, and I give these boys self propulsion by way of halftracks. I love halftracks, but work hard to build up oil.

One of the big bargains in oil consumption are cavalry, and I make sure I have plenty around.

Chuck
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Certainly true, *if* you have enough supply and that is not always the case.

So what is "enough". That depends. If you only do some reconnoitering in an area maybe four Inf units will suffice, maybe even two, especially cavalry is suited for that.
Now if you want to take on a enemy force, or say you want to build an Heeresgruppe/HQ that can pack a punch, then your order of battle is quite different. And it also depends in which stage of the game you are in, that is which levels of Tech you already have and/or how much oil/ore you have.

Early on in the game I have my main frontline HQ combined with 4-6 Inf units, each consisting of 30-40 Inf and some Mg's and Mortars and Pak ...if you can afford them. They can already do some damage when manoevered correctly. Also in that HQ is one or two Artillery brigades. Artillery is king in this game.

In the midgame section the tanks arrive, medium tanks are killers especially at higher lvl's and exp. Also against enemy Inf Light Tanks are awesome. *but* beware of AT guns and bombers, they can sure ruin your day.

Midgame to late game it's all about combined arms. A major HQ can easily have 20 units under its wings, the staff is about 200 or more. Two or three heavy arty units (man do they pack a punch...), plus Flak units are also a must. Also one or two dedicated Tankhunter units, that is Heavy Tanks and or AT Tanks.
With this latest HQ I can take on anything that comes my way. But with the OOB earlier on in the game it happens quite often I have to make a retreat, no shame in that. Territory is of no importance, although sometimes strategic points like hills or forests can be worth fighting for.

Oh and good luck [:D]

I guess I would give it a couple of games more and see what my preference and playstyle is. I always play on stoneage and expensive research. I usually go for Machineguns first then try to make some 30Inf 3 MGs to hold my lines then I start to see whether my fronts are usually open spaces (I go for tanks) or if my fronts are rough terrains then I usually go for artillery. As for OOBs, I really suck at making them. This is my first serious wargame and the only wargame I kind of understand how to play it but is not good at it.
et ignobiles oblivio
Josh

Post by Josh »

Heavy Arty for sure, but they do cost serious PP to develop so it takes some time to get them...but once you do they rule the field. In all fairness heavy tubes with a high Exp lvl resemble somewhat MLRS systems of modern day [:D] Boom blammo gone. The AI is capable of throwing a lot at you but once you have them out in the open...they're toast.

Rugged rough terrain is major suckage [:@] a nightmare to fight in. I usually avoid it like the plague, go around it if possible, encircle anything that might be there, then slowly crush it with the help of Artillery and grunts. On the other hand it is my preferred line of defense, the AI will probably run smack into it then tries to go around it. The AI forces that *do* go around it are my main target for counterattacks/encirclements.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”