Spelling errors and difficult writing

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

CaptCarnage

Spelling errors and difficult writing

Post by CaptCarnage »

Hi,

with 2.03 I am back in the game having racked up 4 scenarios since yesterday already.

But something that keeps bugging me is the scenario description and mission briefings text. I suppose there is an interesting story behind all the scenarios but I find them difficult to read.
Next to a whole lot of spelling errors (...ordered it's advanced elements forward... and "Radio Actiivity" in the panel on the right) I think the sentences are sometimes too long or unnecessarily complicated. It's not because English is not my native language as I don't have these issues with, say, CMANO. Just take a look at the screenshot - is that proper Ingleso? It's just something I have to read 5 times to understand what it actually says. There are many more examples like this.

Fact is, I don't read the intros anymore because I just look at the VPs on the map which basically are the mission objectives. But storywise, I am missing out on the immersion a little bit.

Attachments
flashpointspelling.jpg
flashpointspelling.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 62 times
"One must always distrust the report of troop commanders: 'We have no fuel' [...] You see, if they become tired they suddenly lack fuel" - Heinz Guderian, Panzer Leader
wodin

RE: Spelling errors and difficult writing

Post by wodin »

As the first light of dawn appeared over the eastern skyline the 1st Guards Tank Army prepared to resume it's relentless attacks on V Corps.
Soviet deep penetration recon elements reported that the 8th Infantry Division was moving in an easterly direction along route 26, just east of Darmstadt. They were moving directly towards the 11th Guards Tank Division.

The 11th Guards Tank Division ordered it's advance element, the 40th Guards Tank Regiment, into battle formation. Once deployed the order went out "Advance to contact!".
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

That is my fault.

The advantage of having all the scenarios done by one person is that you get to control the quality of them. The disadvantage is that as the game comes together there is a lot of editing to do. Sometimes things like the never ending sentence slip by. I'll go back and reread all my own briefings and see what can be done about punctuation. Most of the vernacular probably won't change but some punctuation couldn't hurt anything.

When I get in a hurry I tend to just write and not worry about punctuation. I always intended to go back and clean that up.

I don't see any spelling errors in that quote. Do you find spelling errors as well?

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

The HQ Panel on the right says Radio Activiity. Didn't check other things yet.

And the text above says "it's" where it should be "its".

Don't worry - the game itself is awesome and the scenarios too...! But I just wanted to highlight the text thing.
"One must always distrust the report of troop commanders: 'We have no fuel' [...] You see, if they become tired they suddenly lack fuel" - Heinz Guderian, Panzer Leader
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Immersion is a big part of what I aim for in my scenarios. Half the fun of creating a scenario, for me, is to get that "boots on the ground" effect for you. I can't get that if the briefings are being skipped over because of my sloppy editing. If it's as simple as a few commas and some spelling errors those need to be corrected.

Pointing out where the game falls short is what we rely on you gamers for. Don't stop reporting things you feel are out of alignment. Sometimes they may be intentional and we probably won't change those, sometimes they are errors and we will try to fix those.

Now, about my English and grammar...[:@]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

Your forum posts are always highly readable :)

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”