2.* Wishlist Thread

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

junk2drive

2.* Wishlist Thread

Post by junk2drive »

Post your wishlist requests for future updates here

Mine for now

Change folder structure to put saves, non stock content, and mods in Documents/My Games folder or similar.

Edit to change title
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
recruit2112

RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread

Post by recruit2112 »

It would be nice to have access to the opportunity fire range dialog box in the scenario editor and have the program remember your settings from session to session.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Mine for now

Change folder structure to put saves, non stock content, and mods in Documents/My Games folder or similar.

You are a Micro$oft planted spy, yes? They are the only ones who would want to scatter a game's files across the expanse of the hard drive. [:D]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Currently there are suggestions to install a fresh 1.0 version then update to 2.0. To do that, one should uninstall the current version and delete any leftover files. That requires backing up any of the files I mentioned to somewhere... hmmm... maybe MyGames? Wouldn't it be nice if the game did that for you?
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Lobster
ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Mine for now

You are a Micro$oft planted spy, yes? They are the only ones who would want to scatter a game's files across the expanse of the hard drive. [:D]
Something similar, discussed but back burnered in the dev forum:
ORIGINAL: berto

A "structural" issue: reorganizing the games' files and folders.

Let's take a look at just one game, East Front.

In East Front, there are

[root@berto East Front]# ls -1 | wc -l

5282 files, all of them in the top-level game folder. There is no hierarchy, no organization. It's hard to wade through and find stuff in all of that morass.

This is what I propose:

Retain the main, top-level folder: various .exe & .dll files, for the game engine, the editors, and whatnot; also .ini & other configuration files; and any miscellaneous files not covered by the following.

Under the main, top-level folder, these folders, most of them new:

[*]Graphics: all .bmp, .bit, .jpg, .png & any other graphics files
[*]Pictures: all .bmp, .bit, .jpg, .png & any other picture files
[*]Sounds: all .ogg, .wav & any other sound files
[*]Scenarios: all .scn, .scl, .map & .org files, also any special scenario docs
[*]OOBs: all .oob & .obx files
[*]Saves: all .btt, .btl & any other save game files
[*]Manuals: all .pdf, .doc, .rtf & other documentation and text files (.hlp files?)
[*]Logs: error, AI & other log files
[*]Tools: CSlint files, unit viewers, maybe some encryption tools, etc.
[*]Mods: (details to be described at a later date)

I would recode the game (not difficult) to look for files

[*]first, in their "proper" place, in the appropriate folder as described above; if not found, then
[*]second, in the main, top-level folder

In this way, we can transition from the current layout to the new one. The game will still work whether all or only some of us adopt the new folder layout, or in the meantime keep the current single-folder layout. (Eventually, we will all want to have the same file/folder organization of course.)

I'd like to move on this fairly soon.

Thoughts?
The problem is: how do we get to there from here?

The current patching process adds files and overwrites files assuming that just about everything is contained with one, massive top-level per-game folder. How does the Matrix installer EXE

[*]create new folders?
[*]dump new content into those folders, while also deleting the corresponding data files from the top-level folder (so you don't have duplicate data files, in both the old location and the new)?
[*]deal with mods and other user customizations?

Now throw into the mix the suggestion to move/install stuff in Documents/My Games?

In many and unfortunate ways, we are constrained by what has gone before. It would be great, now with 2.00 or in a future version, to break all ties with the 1.00 legacy past and start entirely afresh. But I don't see that happening. Hence the back burnering of the File/Folder Reorganization Project, perhaps for good.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
lecrop

Post by lecrop »

My wish from the Dawn of Time; I would like to see the info screen (F2) of the units carried by vehicles.
budd

Post by budd »

another zoom level and mouse wheel zoom
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

I would like to see a larger bottom icon toolbar menu. The current one is very small and if it were not for the pop-up text when I roll the cursor over the icons, I would be unable to distinguish the function! [X(]

Berto replied to my request over at the Blitz Forums with this response:

"We are unlikely to reduce the number of icons in the toolbar. The idea is to have the most commonly used game functions accessible three ways: toolbar, menu, hot keys.

However, we are thinking of giving players the option to toggle between the current small vs. a new larger toolbar, with larger buttons."

Having a choice for a larger bottom icon tool bar would be most appreciated by this player! Thank you! [:)] [:)] [:)]
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

another zoom level and mouse wheel zoom

You can still use autohotkey for scroll wheel zoom but built in would be nicer.
Bigeard

Post by Bigeard »

Please please please... the ability to keep the 'Find Org' dialogue open, with the organization tree expanded, while moving/firing the selected units on the map. As per this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3522335

I will have Berto's baby if this can be accomplished. [:'(]
Regards

Paul Kirkland
berto

Post by berto »

[:D]
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Dan K

Post by Dan K »

A short cut key for hiding hot spot.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

High walls ( the kind engineers can blow up) should block LOS and not allow units to fire thru them.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

bunp
PawelM

Post by PawelM »

something about air strike which I do not like: I plot an air strike at certain location and I loose LOS on the hex=> air strike does not arrive.
I would like the airstrike to be able to occur even then. Imagine and aircraft which was called by ground units arriving and although friendly units have lost sight of the target then air units can still locate it if it is still there! They have their own eyes and if they arrive to the requested sector for support they do not require ground units.... Attack whatever is there they find... this would be a nice and realistic addition to air strikes IMHO...

Well, we'll not risk another frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite.
CaptainHuge

Post by CaptainHuge »

ORIGINAL: PawelM

something about air strike which I do not like: I plot an air strike at certain location and I loose LOS on the hex=> air strike does not arrive.
I would like the airstrike to be able to occur even then. Imagine and aircraft which was called by ground units arriving and although friendly units have lost sight of the target then air units can still locate it if it is still there! They have their own eyes and if they arrive to the requested sector for support they do not require ground units.... Attack whatever is there they find... this would be a nice and realistic addition to air strikes IMHO...

This seems like a good idea to me. I would think that if an air strike were called in but the target moves out of site just before the aircraft arrive, the pilots would still take a look for targets of opportunity in the area before bugging out.
Citizen Emperor

Post by Citizen Emperor »

<< I would think that if an air strike were called in but the target moves out of site just before the aircraft arrive, the pilots would still take a look for targets of opportunity in the area before bugging out. >>

I believe that was standard procedure for Rudel and his fellow Stuka pilots.
"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
lgsptlnd

Terrain

Post by lgsptlnd »

Often wished that when creating a map, you were able to use fields and plowed fields simultaneously. Not every field in any given area is always plowed at exactly the same time. This way you could hinder movement in some areas and restrict LOS in others.
lgs
USScoralsea

RE: 2.01 Wishlist

Post by USScoralsea »

I would like to see all the platoon units for the AXIS (German, Italian) that are in the WEST FRONT OOB but NOT in the EAST FRONT OOB added to the EAST FRONT OOB. While this may not be historically accurate, all units had the potential of being sent to the eastern front.

New addittions for the German OOB. Panzer IV J ( already exists for Finland OOB ) and the stuG IV. Over a thousand of each of these were produced before the wars end.
berto

RE: 2.01 Wishlist

Post by berto »

Perhaps this thread should be titled the "2.10 Wishlist"?

I hate to break the news, but 2.01 will be about bug fixing and polishing the roughest of rough edges, not about fulfilling general player wishes. The fulfillment of other wishes will come in later content releases, perhaps very much later.

Just sayin'.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”