RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR BROKE?

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
genehaynes

RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR BROKE?

Post by genehaynes »

PLEASE TEST ASAP!!
Tom,
While trying answer your question regarding my Close assault post I discovered the following:
Scenario=Downtown
1. I set up the close assault situation: Soviet leader + 3 MMCs adjacent to the german tank.
2. I THEN SAVED THE GAME
3. Initiated the close assault. Only one MMC passed the MC and successfully assaulted the tank.
4. RELOADED THE SAVED GAME
5. GOT THE EXACT SAME DIE ROLLS!! I reloaded several times and got the same die results each time.
6. Reloading the scenario from the main menu resulted in different die rolls, but if you save the game before any combat you get the same rolls every time you load from the save file.

I loaded another scenario and set up a basic DFT firing situation. Before firing I saved the game then executed the attack. WHEN I RE-LOADED THE GAME I GOT THE EXACT SAME DIE ROLLS / RESULTS each time I re-loaded.

PLEASE TEST AND LET ME KNOW WHATS GOING ON. Load ANY scenario, set up a firing situation - SAVE GAME - execute combat. Reload see if the die rolls are same.
Tom Proudfoot

RE: RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR BROKE?

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

I will refer you to tm.asp?m=3553730

genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

So the random number seed essentially generates a set of psuedo random numbers each time a scenario is started, and since the seed is saved you get same numbers on re-load? So basically a set random numbers are generated for each scenario, not every time a die roll is done within the scenarion?

Now that I've given myself a headache, I'll go back and try to answer the question about leaders and close assaults. I'll keep starting the Downtown scenario until the leader and at least two MMCs pass their MCs.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

This is to prevent players from cheating using the save and reload function. Once you're done, you're done. This is a great way to prevent cheating in MP and soloplay except for the few hackers out there who can/will hack into anything that can be changed. Don't see the point of cheating though.[:)]
genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

That makes sense. In my case I was testing close assault in the Downtown scenario (See my post on close assault) and needed to get a leader and multiple MMCs to pass their MCs. To get a different result, all I had to do after reloading the saved game was do any other action before doing the close assault. You can still test, but as you mentioned, you can't use the save function to get a different (i.e. Better) combat result while actually playing a game.

I hope someone (Tom?) will test close assault re: leader support.

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”