Strategy 101 resources wanted

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

secadegas

RE: Strategy 101 resources wanted

Post by secadegas »

triple post... sorry again...
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Come on, one more.. ;) for the quadruple...[:'(]
governato

Post by governato »

One of the things I really liked of v3.4 was the opportunity of letting the PO manage the formations, but allowing the player to change their objectives and emphasis on a turn by turn basis. That is fun and close to how I 'd like to play a lot of scenarios, especially the large ones. Also, probably a lot simpler in terms of AI programming.

However, I have always found the instructions on how to precisely do that a little obscure and I am not sure that the option is available in PBEM play. But it is something it'd be nice to emphasize in 3.5/4.
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Come on, one more.. ;) for the quadruple...[:'(]

I wish i could... but i'm exhausted....
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I have always found the instructions on how to precisely do that a little obscure

Turn it 'on' in the Advanced Game Options, then you will see the buttons at the lower right. Then you can highlight the selected formation's objectives as seen on the left, and you can change them if you want. Then you can hit the button to 'Move the PO' and all formations will move a little. If you want a formation to not move on its own, set its orders to Manual (in the Formation Report box). Its easy to do, but can be time consuming if you make a lot of changes and if the original design has many objectives (as seen in the mini map at lower right).

Its a great way to assume command and then watch your units do or not do exactly what you intended. Designers can also use this to make PO adjustments, which is excellent. So its fun, and functional. Thanks to Ralph for putting this feature in !

Attachments
jpeg29.jpg
jpeg29.jpg (186.08 KiB) Viewed 34 times
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: governato
One of the things I really liked of v3.4 was the opportunity of letting the PO manage the formations, but allowing the player to change their objectives and emphasis on a turn by turn basis. That is fun and close to how I 'd like to play a lot of scenarios, especially the large ones. Also, probably a lot simpler in terms of AI programming.

However, I have always found the instructions on how to precisely do that a little obscure and I am not sure that the option is available in PBEM play. But it is something it'd be nice to emphasize in 3.5/4.
It's not you, it's me. It started out life as something I threw together to diagnose the AI. I realized I could add a couple of tweaks and some other sucker, I mean worthy gentleman with time on his hands, might find it fun. I'm hoping to make it more intuitive this time.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
governato

Post by governato »

I just stumbled on this wargame of the Gettysburg battle, it is in development, but the AI seems pretty fun/capable
and the developers have a fun blog and forum.

Here is the LINK

Oh..and it's crowd funded!

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”