Smoke not working in EF

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderator: Jason Petho

tide1530

Smoke not working in EF

Post by tide1530 »

I've tried to plot smoke as the Russians in two scenarios and keep getting straight HE. I've tried the hot key command, the smoke button also and a combination of smoke button and hot key.
Crossroads

RE: Smoke not working in EF

Post by Crossroads »

Yes, now that you mention this the buttons are a bit tricky.

When Smoke button is selected, placing an indirect firing mission for a selected IF capable unit via pressing the Ctrl key only(!) works. The very next fire mission only is affected, as the the button is then toggled off. If you plan to do another IF smoke mission, select the Smoke button again.

However, when Smoke button is selected, placing an indirect firing mission via the Indirect Fire Dialog is not effected, and fires HE rounds instead. This is what you saw right? You need to continue to press Alt key while at Indirect Fire Dialog as previously.

As previously, the Ctrl-Alt combo when assigning the indirect fire mission for a selected IF unit (without the use of Smoke button) will continue to do the trick.

The above applies for Starshells as well. Selecting Starshell button, then firing the unit with pressing the Ctrl key triggers a starshell attempt.

I will discuss this with the Team as if there indeed is something fishy with this. Thanks!

Edit: tried to write this in a more clear manner. It is a bit confusing with these three means for plotting IF missions now available!
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
tide1530

Post by tide1530 »

Hi Crossroads

However, when Smoke button is selected, placing an indirect firing mission via the Indirect Fire Dialog is not effected, and fires HE rounds instead. This is what you saw right?

That is what I saw correct.

I tried using your instructions and still no smoke. The Ctrl-Alt doesn't work at all. Ctrl only plots HE.
When I open the arty dialog the smoke button clicks on and stays on. I have to manually click on it to turn it off.
But even doing that just gets me HE.

It looks like I might have to uninstall and reinstall. Thanks Crossroads.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Tide:

I rechecked.

Smoke button (and Starshell for that matter) works for plotting the fire mission for a selected unit(s) with using <Ctrl> only.

Indirect Fire Dialog continues to work as it always did. It does not take Smoke button into consideration. It does however tak a press of <Alt> into consideration and plots a smoke mission.

Finally, <Ctrl+Alt> should continue to work as it was. <Ctrl+Alt> plots a Smoke mission regarless if you have toggled Smoke button on or off.

At least that is what I saw when I tested this again.

Something odd with your install then as you suggested?
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: tide1530

It looks like I might have to uninstall and reinstall.
I don't think that will affect this in any way.

It's maybe simplest to keep in mind:

[*]The smoke/starshell toolbar icons are for unit-by-unit smoke/starshell firing only. You must toggle the appropriate button (else select the appropriate Units menu selection) each time you fire.
[*]The Indirect Fire Dialog is for regular fire only. In that context, using the new toolbar icons for smoke/starshell firing does not apply.

That may not be the optimal or most flexible arrangement, but for now, that's the way it is.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
tide1530

Post by tide1530 »

I didn't understand that the tool bar icons where for individual units and not indirect.

Although I can- Open arty dialog- Alt, and will get smoke for indirect fire.

Thanks for your time gents.

Return to “John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support”