Comparison to Squad Battles?

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
TJD

Comparison to Squad Battles?

Post by TJD »

Before I buy I wonder if anyone here has any thoughts on how this game compares to Tiller's Squad Battles. I'm aware of the obvious differences – it's impulse-based, no pbem, vastly, and I mean VASTLY, better artwork, etc., - but am wondering how it stacks overall.

Thanks!

Tim
Missouri_Rebel

RE: Comparison to Squad Battles?

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I only own Korea, but besides what you have already mentioned the most glaring is the A.I.. LnL HoS is far superior in this aspect and it was Squad Battles greatest weakness imo.

Get it. It's very good. You know you will anyways.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
jonj01

Post by jonj01 »

Squad battles for the eastern front were not very good. The AI was poor. The artwork was hard and i mean hard to look at. The scenerios were boring. This is a better game. Same price and you dont have to wait to get the game in the mail.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

The lack of PBEM in HoS is the greatest difference. Online multiplayer is fine for those who have the time but my preference is PBEM.

HPS Sqaud Battles provides PBEM in addition to online play. There are also many very well scripted single player scenarios. The art work is poor but there are many Mods that look after that.

So far I also like HoS. The system is interesting, The artwork is good and the single player can be challenging. I have not tried the campaigns yet but if they are as much fun as the scenarios then they will be enjoyable.

Squad Battles has been around a long time and has visited many conflicts. Hopefully the PC version of Lock n Load games will cover as much territory.

I am glad to have both.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

ORIGINAL: jonj01
Same price and you dont have to wait to get the game in the mail.

Just a correction. Most Squad Battles titles are available as digital downloads.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

I have Squad Battle but is always based on the same mechanism of the Tiller game.Whether the game is Napoleonic ,WWII division size or single unit size the mechanism is always the same.In this game we have something close to Squad Leader for the tank,with a to hit table and a penetration table(simplified compared to ASL), in Squad Battle nothing of this.About the graphic there is no comparison possible.The HPS and Tiller games are well known for the worst graphic.
About the enjoyment playing this game i don't speak,is to early for me,since until now i have played only one scenario.

wodin

Post by wodin »

Squad Battles Red Victory PBEM is a great tactical wargame. I made a MOD not to long ago for the 2D graphics and it looks pretty good. SB has things that LnL hasn't like individual casualties, mixed weapons in a Squad, elevations, sewer movement. However for me two areas are frustrating and if these two issues where changed SB would easily be my No1 tactical wargame. First is the ammo mechanic which for me really hinders play in it's current guise. An MG42 could be more like a pea shooter once it's "ammo" starts running low. Now if the game actually had proper ammo count and the possibility to alter ROF this would be a massive improvement. Next is the lack of multi story buildings and finally the AFV side of the game is very abstract. The game is really inf based. If the AFV side was enhanced again it would for me make SB a classic.

I will say PBEM over at the SB ladder at The Blitz will give the player loads of fun and they are a great bunch of lads.

Also Panzer Battles which is the upcomng platoon scale game is visually a big improvement and is looking pretty damn good at the moment.

A boardgame I'd really like to see converted is GMT's Panzer. This game has detailed combat mechanics and it has received huge praise. Oh and one day Paradox may actually do something with Squad leader rights.

LnL looks lovely but after my disappointment with COH I'm wary about buying. COH was just too abstract for me and I couldn't get immersed. LnL seems to create a narrative whilst playing which is something I always look for\want in a tactical game. I also like the fact Mark added to the game taking advantage of the PC over a board, something Academy should have done. I suppose being a tactical wargame fanatic I really should buy it. I reckon when I have abit of spare cash i will pick it up.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

Also Panzer Battles which is the upcomng platoon scale game is visually a big improvement and is looking pretty damn good at the moment.

At the moment is not clear to me the difference from Panzer Battle and the Tiller Campaign series.The scale seem the same.
Is not that we have a reissue of the same game but with worse graphic?
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

sewer movement.
Does too! It's a Skill Card

Squad Battles... I'm a fan. No, it isn't pretty, but I really enjoyed playing the Vietnam Game.

GMT's Panzer... I'm not a fan. Too fiddly.

LnL is just different than Squad Battles. It has more of a narrative feel, and the impulse system is maybe more immersive.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
wodin

Post by wodin »

Mark,,but GMT's Panzer converted to the PC would no longer be fiddly..thats why I want to see a conversion.

Cool LnL has sewer movement though.

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”